Re: Letter to Senator Klobuchar....

  • Kate Schachter
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 11, 2007
      I am willing to sign this letter. In this electronic age, what does
      that mean?

      Kate

      --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Sterioff <apsterioff@...> wrote:

      > That's a good question. Greg, the constituent advocate, wanted
      people who were affected by Lariam to sign the letter. But I think
      that the more signatures we have the better. The main point here is
      to get an investigation and to have it discontinued, so I think the
      best way to do this is to get as many signatures as possible. The
      problem, then, is that if the Senator's office wanted stories from
      the list of signators the signers wouldn't necessarily be accurate
      for Lariam claims. Let's see how many Lariam sufferers will sign
      this, then go from there.

      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 11, 2007

        Felicia,

        The statistics I've seen say that 20% or more of Lariam users suffer adverse side effects, many of them severe and permanent.  So there are a large number of people are affected.  There is very little way to know who exactly will be affected aside from the obvious, e.g. people suffering from depression, etc.

        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 12, 2007
          Where did you see those statistics? The study I've seen
          does indeed say that about 25% of people suffer some short
          term side effects but only 1 in 10,000 have something
          severe enough that it requires hospitalization. I totally
          disagree that there is no way to know who will be
          affected. It seems that it is mainly "type A"
          personalities. However, if no one studies it, we can
          guarantee that no one will know. All this might be more
          clear in the DOD study, but since they haven't released
          it, we don't know about that either. Since most of us
          can't even get diagnosed as having had problems with
          Lariam, it seems like we will face significant difficulty
          getting this drug taken off the market. However, saying
          "Many of us think this drug is the cause of our problems
          and many doctors agree. Would you please pressure the DOD
          to release their study and ask other government agencies
          that use it to keep much much better records of who gets
          it and how they react?" seems like it would get a better
          reception. If it then turns out that many more Peace
          Corps volunteers and service members are having problems
          than was originally believed, then everyone will call for
          these organizations to stop using it rather than just a
          few people. -- Felicia

          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 12, 2007
            Go to www.lariaminfo.org and read the most recent article, an article that appeared on the website and in the journal Medication Sense.

            Where did you see those statistics? The study I've seen
            does indeed say that about 25% of people suffer some short
            term side effects but only 1 in 10,000 have something
            severe enough that it requires hospitalization. I totally
            disagree that there is no way to know who will be
            affected. It seems that it is mainly "type A"
            personalities. However, if no one studies it, we can
            guarantee that no one will know. All this might be more
            clear in the DOD study, but since they haven't released
            it, we don't know about that either. Since most of us
            can't even get diagnosed as having had problems with
            Lariam, it seems like we will face significant difficulty
            getting this drug taken off the market. However, saying
            "Many of us think this drug is the cause of our problems
            and many doctors agree. Would you please pressure the DOD
            to release their study and ask other government agencies
            that use it to keep much much better records of who gets
            it and how they react?" seems like it would get a better
            reception. If it then turns out that many more Peace
            Corps volunteers and service members are having problems
            than was originally believed, then everyone will call for
            these organizations to stop using it rather than just a
            few people. -- Felicia

            > Felicia,
            >
            > The statistics I've seen say that 20% or more of Lariam
            > users suffer adverse side effects, many of them severe and
            > permanent. So there are a large number of people are
            > affected. There is very little way to know who exactly
            > will be affected aside from the obvious, e.g. people
            > suffering from depression, etc.
            >
            > Andy Sterioff

            com>

            Klobuchar

            _________ _

            target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://tools. search.yahoo. com/newsearch/ category. php?category= shopping

            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 13, 2007
              Thank you Nancy,

              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 13, 2007
                Sorry, but that was written by Sue Rose from Lariaminfo.
                While they are good people and I appreciate their work,
                Sue is a lawyer, not a researcher or a doctor (I think).
                I do not believe that they accurately represent the number
                of people who have problems with Lariam. For a long time,
                they were saying 40%, which just isn't true from my
                experience.

                Anyway, I expect we are boring others with our continued
                discussion of this subject, since it relates to relatively
                few OWCP claims. If you would like to discuss it further,
                we should probably do it outside the group. -- Felicia

                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 13, 2007
                  Sue also has her MPH (Master's of Public Health) and does work for Lariam Action pro bono.

                  ymailto="mailto:felicia%40panix.com">felicia@panix. com>