Re: [owcp] Re: Letter to Senator Klobuchar....

  • Donald Weaks
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 11, 2007
      Felicia is absolutely correct. I did doxy every
      morning at 6pm like clock work for 3+ years with no
      ill effects and watched as Mefoquine and Lariam users
      would take their dosage at 5 to 10 days cycles saying,
      what the hell!

      === message truncated ===

      HELP FIGHT HIV and AIDS in AFRICA. Visit our website at www.hthglobal.org and make a tax deductible contribution to: Hope Through Health, PO Box 605, Medway, MA 02053-0605

      Be a better friend, newshound, and
    • Kate Schachter
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 11, 2007
        I am willing to sign this letter. In this electronic age, what does
        that mean?

        Kate

        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 11, 2007

          Felicia,

          The statistics I've seen say that 20% or more of Lariam users suffer adverse side effects, many of them severe and permanent.  So there are a large number of people are affected.  There is very little way to know who exactly will be affected aside from the obvious, e.g. people suffering from depression, etc.

          Sorry, I've only been sort of following this, so I may
          have missed something that was already covered. I'm on
          workers comp for Lariam, but I don't want to sign the
          letter if the only point is to get Lariam discontinued.
          Most of the people who take it have no problem with it.
          If the Peace Corps/the government just did some work to

          ymailto="mailto:owcp2004%40yahoo.com">owcp2004@yahoo. com>

          MS Word.
          >> Before you send it again you need to cut and paste it
          >> to MS Word before you try to re-send it.
          >> --- Kate Schachter <kateschachter@ yahoo.com> wrote:
          >>
          >> > The last two messages on this topic of larium have
          >> > referenced "following" or "here is" information that
          >> > doesn't exist. I
          >> > suspect Andy and Kevin attached files to their
          >> > messages...but
          >> > listserv's don't accommodate attachments. You either
          >> > have to put them
          >> > into the text of the message, or post them in the
          >> > Files section (I
          >> > checked...they' re not there).
          >> >
          >> > I'm very interested in signing and supporting this
          >> > particular issue, as
          >> > it affected me in my medical condition. Please
          do
          >> > one of the above two
          >> > options so we can view the letter.
          >> >
          >> > Thanks!
          >> > Kate
          >> >

          >> HELP FIGHT HIV and AIDS in AFRICA. Visit our website at
          > www.hthglobal. org and make a tax deductible contribution
          > to: Hope
          > Through Health, PO Box 605, Medway, MA 02053-0605
          >>
          >> ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________
          >> _________ _
          >> Looking for last minute shopping deals?
          >> Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools.
          >> search.yahoo.
          > com/newsearch/ category. php?category= shopping

          > _________ _
          > ____________ ___
          >> Be a better friend,
          newshound, and

          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 12, 2007
            Where did you see those statistics? The study I've seen
            does indeed say that about 25% of people suffer some short
            term side effects but only 1 in 10,000 have something
            severe enough that it requires hospitalization. I totally
            disagree that there is no way to know who will be
            affected. It seems that it is mainly "type A"
            personalities. However, if no one studies it, we can
            guarantee that no one will know. All this might be more
            clear in the DOD study, but since they haven't released
            it, we don't know about that either. Since most of us
            can't even get diagnosed as having had problems with
            Lariam, it seems like we will face significant difficulty
            getting this drug taken off the market. However, saying
            "Many of us think this drug is the cause of our problems
            and many doctors agree. Would you please pressure the DOD
            to release their study and ask other government agencies
            that use it to keep much much better records of who gets
            it and how they react?" seems like it would get a better
            reception. If it then turns out that many more Peace
            Corps volunteers and service members are having problems
            than was originally believed, then everyone will call for
            these organizations to stop using it rather than just a
            few people. -- Felicia

            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 12, 2007
              Go to www.lariaminfo.org and read the most recent article, an article that appeared on the website and in the journal Medication Sense.

              Where did you see those statistics? The study I've seen
              does indeed say that about 25% of people suffer some short
              term side effects but only 1 in 10,000 have something
              severe enough that it requires hospitalization. I totally
              disagree that there is no way to know who will be
              affected. It seems that it is mainly "type A"
              personalities. However, if no one studies it, we can
              guarantee that no one will know. All this might be more
              clear in the DOD study, but since they haven't released
              it, we don't know about that either. Since most of us
              can't even get diagnosed as having had problems with
              Lariam, it seems like we will face significant difficulty
              getting this drug taken off the market. However, saying
              "Many of us think this drug is the cause of our problems
              and many doctors agree. Would you please pressure the DOD
              to release their study and ask other government agencies
              that use it to keep much much better records of who gets
              it and how they react?" seems like it would get a better
              reception. If it then turns out that many more Peace
              Corps volunteers and service members are having problems
              than was originally believed, then everyone will call for
              these organizations to stop using it rather than just a
              few people. -- Felicia

              > Felicia,
              >
              > The statistics I've seen say that 20% or more of Lariam
              > users suffer adverse side effects, many of them severe and
              > permanent. So there are a large number of people are
              > affected. There is very little way to know who exactly
              > will be affected aside from the obvious, e.g. people
              > suffering from depression, etc.
              >
              > Andy Sterioff

              com>

              Klobuchar

              _________ _

              target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://tools. search.yahoo. com/newsearch/ category. php?category= shopping

              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 13, 2007
                Thank you Nancy,

                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 13, 2007
                  Sorry, but that was written by Sue Rose from Lariaminfo.
                  While they are good people and I appreciate their work,
                  Sue is a lawyer, not a researcher or a doctor (I think).
                  I do not believe that they accurately represent the number
                  of people who have problems with Lariam. For a long time,
                  they were saying 40%, which just isn't true from my
                  experience.

                  Anyway, I expect we are boring others with our continued
                  discussion of this subject, since it relates to relatively
                  few OWCP claims. If you would like to discuss it further,
                  we should probably do it outside the group. -- Felicia

                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 13, 2007
                    Sue also has her MPH (Master's of Public Health) and does work for Lariam Action pro bono.

                    ymailto="mailto:felicia%40panix.com">felicia@panix. com>