Re: [owcp] Re: Letter to Senator Klobuchar....

    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 11, 2007
      Sorry, I've only been sort of following this, so I may
      have missed something that was already covered. I'm on
      workers comp for Lariam, but I don't want to sign the
      letter if the only point is to get Lariam discontinued.
      Most of the people who take it have no problem with it.
      If the Peace Corps/the government just did some work to
      find out who is most likely to have side effects,
      monitored everyone (as opposed to telling them that they
      are being foolish and sending them home), and followed the
      instructions on the warning label, the number of problems
      would be severely curtailed. Besides, ultimately the
      government will choose Lariam over the concerns of a few
      injured people. It does its job better than many of the
      alternatives and is more useful in situations where the
      people who take it are flakey (like Peace Corps
      volunteers). It is a lot cheaper than Malarone, and doxy
      seems to cause more immediate side effects. I think it
      would be better to ask for the DoD's Lariam study to be
      released and for better monitoring. -- Felicia

    • Donald Weaks
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 11, 2007
        Felicia is absolutely correct. I did doxy every
        morning at 6pm like clock work for 3+ years with no
        ill effects and watched as Mefoquine and Lariam users
        would take their dosage at 5 to 10 days cycles saying,
        what the hell!
        --- Felicia <felicia@...> wrote:

        > Sorry, I've only been sort of following this, so I
        > may
        > have missed something that was already covered. I'm
        > on
        > workers comp for Lariam, but I don't want to sign
        > the
        > letter if the only point is to get Lariam
        > discontinued.
        > Most of the people who take it have no problem with
        > it.
        > If the Peace Corps/the government just did some work
        > find out who is most likely to have side effects,
        > monitored everyone (as opposed to telling them that
        > they
        > are being foolish and sending them home), and
        > followed the
        > instructions on the warning label, the number of
        > problems
        > would be severely curtailed. Besides, ultimately
        > the
        > government will choose Lariam over the concerns of a
        > few
        > injured people. It does its job better than many of
        > the
        > alternatives and is more useful in situations where
        > the
        > people who take it are flakey (like Peace Corps
        > volunteers). It is a lot cheaper than Malarone, and
        > doxy
        > seems to cause more immediate side effects. I think
        > it
        > would be better to ask for the DoD's Lariam study to
        > be
        > released and for better monitoring. -- Felicia
        >
        > > That's a good question. Greg, the constituent
        > advocate,
        > > wanted people who were affected by Lariam to sign
        > the
        > > letter. But I think that the more signatures we
        > have the
        > > better. The main point here is to get an
        > investigation
        > > and to have it discontinued, so I think the best
        > way to do
        > > this is to get as many signatures as possible.
        > The
        > > problem, then, is that if the Senator's office
        > wanted
        > > stories from the list of signators the signers
        > wouldn't
        > > necessarily be accurate for Lariam claims. Let's
        > see how
        > > many Lariam sufferers will sign this, then go from
        > there.
        > >
        > > Andy Sterioff

        === message truncated ===

        HELP FIGHT HIV and AIDS in AFRICA. Visit our website at www.hthglobal.org and make a tax deductible contribution to: Hope Through Health, PO Box 605, Medway, MA 02053-0605

        Be a better friend, newshound, and
      • Kate Schachter
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 11, 2007
          I am willing to sign this letter. In this electronic age, what does
          that mean?

          Kate

          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 11, 2007

            Felicia,

            The statistics I've seen say that 20% or more of Lariam users suffer adverse side effects, many of them severe and permanent.  So there are a large number of people are affected.  There is very little way to know who exactly will be affected aside from the obvious, e.g. people suffering from depression, etc.

            ymailto="mailto:owcp2004%40yahoo.com">owcp2004@yahoo. com>

            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 12, 2007
              Where did you see those statistics? The study I've seen
              does indeed say that about 25% of people suffer some short
              term side effects but only 1 in 10,000 have something
              severe enough that it requires hospitalization. I totally
              disagree that there is no way to know who will be
              affected. It seems that it is mainly "type A"
              personalities. However, if no one studies it, we can
              guarantee that no one will know. All this might be more
              clear in the DOD study, but since they haven't released
              it, we don't know about that either. Since most of us
              can't even get diagnosed as having had problems with
              Lariam, it seems like we will face significant difficulty
              getting this drug taken off the market. However, saying
              "Many of us think this drug is the cause of our problems
              and many doctors agree. Would you please pressure the DOD
              to release their study and ask other government agencies
              that use it to keep much much better records of who gets
              it and how they react?" seems like it would get a better
              reception. If it then turns out that many more Peace
              Corps volunteers and service members are having problems
              than was originally believed, then everyone will call for
              these organizations to stop using it rather than just a
              few people. -- Felicia

              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 12, 2007
                Go to www.lariaminfo.org and read the most recent article, an article that appeared on the website and in the journal Medication Sense.

                Where did you see those statistics? The study I've seen
                does indeed say that about 25% of people suffer some short
                term side effects but only 1 in 10,000 have something
                severe enough that it requires hospitalization. I totally
                disagree that there is no way to know who will be
                affected. It seems that it is mainly "type A"
                personalities. However, if no one studies it, we can
                guarantee that no one will know. All this might be more
                clear in the DOD study, but since they haven't released
                it, we don't know about that either. Since most of us
                can't even get diagnosed as having had problems with
                Lariam, it seems like we will face significant difficulty
                getting this drug taken off the market. However, saying
                "Many of us think this drug is the cause of our problems
                and many doctors agree. Would you please pressure the DOD
                to release their study and ask other government agencies
                that use it to keep much much better records of who gets
                it and how they react?" seems like it would get a better
                reception. If it then turns out that many more Peace
                Corps volunteers and service members are having problems
                than was originally believed, then everyone will call for
                these organizations to stop using it rather than just a
                few people. -- Felicia

                > Felicia,
                >
                > The statistics I've seen say that 20% or more of Lariam
                > users suffer adverse side effects, many of them severe and
                > permanent. So there are a large number of people are
                > affected. There is very little way to know who exactly
                > will be affected aside from the obvious, e.g. people
                > suffering from depression, etc.
                >
                > Andy Sterioff

                com>

                Klobuchar

                _________ _

                target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://tools. search.yahoo. com/newsearch/ category. php?category= shopping

                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 13, 2007
                  Thank you Nancy,

                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 13, 2007
                    Sorry, but that was written by Sue Rose from Lariaminfo.
                    While they are good people and I appreciate their work,
                    Sue is a lawyer, not a researcher or a doctor (I think).
                    I do not believe that they accurately represent the number
                    of people who have problems with Lariam. For a long time,
                    they were saying 40%, which just isn't true from my
                    experience.

                    Anyway, I expect we are boring others with our continued
                    discussion of this subject, since it relates to relatively
                    few OWCP claims. If you would like to discuss it further,
                    we should probably do it outside the group. -- Felicia

                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 13, 2007
                      Sue also has her MPH (Master's of Public Health) and does work for Lariam Action pro bono.

                      ymailto="mailto:felicia%40panix.com">felicia@panix. com>