Re: Letter to Senator Klobuchar....

    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 11, 2007
      Another approach is to have two groups of signatures: one from
      persons affected by Lariam, and a second from other concerned
      parties. As long as you clearly delineate the two groups, you won't
      appear to be deceitful. I suggest this approach because, like you,
      I think that more signatures increase the impact of the letter.

      Just a thought ...

      Kevin

      --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Sterioff <apsterioff@...> wrote:

      > That's a good question. Greg, the constituent advocate, wanted
      people who were affected by Lariam to sign the letter. But I think
      that the more signatures we have the better. The main point here is
      to get an investigation and to have it discontinued, so I think the
      best way to do this is to get as many signatures as possible. The
      problem, then, is that if the Senator's office wanted stories from
      the list of signators the signers wouldn't necessarily be accurate
      for Lariam claims. Let's see how many Lariam sufferers will sign
      this, then go from there.

      > Andy Sterioff
    • riverock5
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 11, 2007
        i think it would look very bad and discredit our group if we add signatures that are not
        larium related, if that is what they are looking for. i agree that it is important that they
        look into this, but i think we need to be careful. if they cannot believe our signatures
        (because we've added folks who are not affected by this situation), why would they believe
        our stories?

        heidi

        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 11, 2007
          Sorry, I've only been sort of following this, so I may
          have missed something that was already covered. I'm on
          workers comp for Lariam, but I don't want to sign the
          letter if the only point is to get Lariam discontinued.
          Most of the people who take it have no problem with it.
          If the Peace Corps/the government just did some work to
          find out who is most likely to have side effects,
          monitored everyone (as opposed to telling them that they
          are being foolish and sending them home), and followed the
          instructions on the warning label, the number of problems
          would be severely curtailed. Besides, ultimately the
          government will choose Lariam over the concerns of a few
          injured people. It does its job better than many of the
          alternatives and is more useful in situations where the
          people who take it are flakey (like Peace Corps
          volunteers). It is a lot cheaper than Malarone, and doxy
          seems to cause more immediate side effects. I think it
          would be better to ask for the DoD's Lariam study to be
          released and for better monitoring. -- Felicia

        • Donald Weaks
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 11, 2007
            Felicia is absolutely correct. I did doxy every
            morning at 6pm like clock work for 3+ years with no
            ill effects and watched as Mefoquine and Lariam users
            would take their dosage at 5 to 10 days cycles saying,
            what the hell!
            --- Felicia <felicia@...> wrote:

            > Sorry, I've only been sort of following this, so I
            > may
            > have missed something that was already covered. I'm
            > on
            > workers comp for Lariam, but I don't want to sign
            > the
            > letter if the only point is to get Lariam
            > discontinued.
            > Most of the people who take it have no problem with
            > it.
            > If the Peace Corps/the government just did some work
            > find out who is most likely to have side effects,
            > monitored everyone (as opposed to telling them that
            > they
            > are being foolish and sending them home), and
            > followed the
            > instructions on the warning label, the number of
            > problems
            > would be severely curtailed. Besides, ultimately
            > the
            > government will choose Lariam over the concerns of a
            > few
            > injured people. It does its job better than many of
            > the
            > alternatives and is more useful in situations where
            > the
            > people who take it are flakey (like Peace Corps
            > volunteers). It is a lot cheaper than Malarone, and
            > doxy
            > seems to cause more immediate side effects. I think
            > it
            > would be better to ask for the DoD's Lariam study to
            > be
            > released and for better monitoring. -- Felicia
            >
            > > That's a good question. Greg, the constituent
            > advocate,
            > > wanted people who were affected by Lariam to sign
            > the
            > > letter. But I think that the more signatures we
            > have the
            > > better. The main point here is to get an
            > investigation
            > > and to have it discontinued, so I think the best
            > way to do
            > > this is to get as many signatures as possible.
            > The
            > > problem, then, is that if the Senator's office
            > wanted
            > > stories from the list of signators the signers
            > wouldn't
            > > necessarily be accurate for Lariam claims. Let's
            > see how
            > > many Lariam sufferers will sign this, then go from
            > there.
            > >
            > > Andy Sterioff

            === message truncated ===

            HELP FIGHT HIV and AIDS in AFRICA. Visit our website at www.hthglobal.org and make a tax deductible contribution to: Hope Through Health, PO Box 605, Medway, MA 02053-0605

            Be a better friend, newshound, and
          • Kate Schachter
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 11, 2007
              I am willing to sign this letter. In this electronic age, what does
              that mean?

              Kate

              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 11, 2007

                Felicia,

                The statistics I've seen say that 20% or more of Lariam users suffer adverse side effects, many of them severe and permanent.  So there are a large number of people are affected.  There is very little way to know who exactly will be affected aside from the obvious, e.g. people suffering from depression, etc.

                ymailto="mailto:owcp2004%40yahoo.com">owcp2004@yahoo. com>

                newshound, and

                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 12, 2007
                  Where did you see those statistics? The study I've seen
                  does indeed say that about 25% of people suffer some short
                  term side effects but only 1 in 10,000 have something
                  severe enough that it requires hospitalization. I totally
                  disagree that there is no way to know who will be
                  affected. It seems that it is mainly "type A"
                  personalities. However, if no one studies it, we can
                  guarantee that no one will know. All this might be more
                  clear in the DOD study, but since they haven't released
                  it, we don't know about that either. Since most of us
                  can't even get diagnosed as having had problems with
                  Lariam, it seems like we will face significant difficulty
                  getting this drug taken off the market. However, saying
                  "Many of us think this drug is the cause of our problems
                  and many doctors agree. Would you please pressure the DOD
                  to release their study and ask other government agencies
                  that use it to keep much much better records of who gets
                  it and how they react?" seems like it would get a better
                  reception. If it then turns out that many more Peace
                  Corps volunteers and service members are having problems
                  than was originally believed, then everyone will call for
                  these organizations to stop using it rather than just a
                  few people. -- Felicia

                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 12, 2007
                    Go to www.lariaminfo.org and read the most recent article, an article that appeared on the website and in the journal Medication Sense.

                    Where did you see those statistics? The study I've seen
                    does indeed say that about 25% of people suffer some short
                    term side effects but only 1 in 10,000 have something
                    severe enough that it requires hospitalization. I totally
                    disagree that there is no way to know who will be
                    affected. It seems that it is mainly "type A"
                    personalities. However, if no one studies it, we can
                    guarantee that no one will know. All this might be more
                    clear in the DOD study, but since they haven't released
                    it, we don't know about that either. Since most of us
                    can't even get diagnosed as having had problems with
                    Lariam, it seems like we will face significant difficulty
                    getting this drug taken off the market. However, saying
                    "Many of us think this drug is the cause of our problems
                    and many doctors agree. Would you please pressure the DOD
                    to release their study and ask other government agencies
                    that use it to keep much much better records of who gets
                    it and how they react?" seems like it would get a better
                    reception. If it then turns out that many more Peace
                    Corps volunteers and service members are having problems
                    than was originally believed, then everyone will call for
                    these organizations to stop using it rather than just a
                    few people. -- Felicia

                    > Felicia,
                    >
                    > The statistics I've seen say that 20% or more of Lariam
                    > users suffer adverse side effects, many of them severe and
                    > permanent. So there are a large number of people are
                    > affected. There is very little way to know who exactly
                    > will be affected aside from the obvious, e.g. people
                    > suffering from depression, etc.
                    >
                    > Andy Sterioff

                    com>

                    Klobuchar

                    _________ _

                    target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://tools. search.yahoo. com/newsearch/ category. php?category= shopping

                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 13, 2007
                      Thank you Nancy,

                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 13, 2007
                        Sorry, but that was written by Sue Rose from Lariaminfo.
                        While they are good people and I appreciate their work,
                        Sue is a lawyer, not a researcher or a doctor (I think).
                        I do not believe that they accurately represent the number
                        of people who have problems with Lariam. For a long time,
                        they were saying 40%, which just isn't true from my
                        experience.

                        Anyway, I expect we are boring others with our continued
                        discussion of this subject, since it relates to relatively
                        few OWCP claims. If you would like to discuss it further,
                        we should probably do it outside the group. -- Felicia

                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 13, 2007
                          Sue also has her MPH (Master's of Public Health) and does work for Lariam Action pro bono.

                          ymailto="mailto:felicia%40panix.com">felicia@panix. com>