Re: Letter to Senator Klobuchar....

    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 10, 2007
      Do you want signatures from all concerned RPCVs or only those who
      are affected by Lariam?

      --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Sterioff <apsterioff@...> wrote:

      > Here is the letter I drafted.
      >
      > The Honorable Senator Amy Klobuchar
      > United States Senator
      > 302 Hart Office Building
      > Washington, D.C.
      > 20510 December 8, 2007
      >
      > Dear Senator Klobuchar,
      > As a follow up to our letter on irregularities in the claims
      process in the Department of Labor and the Office of Workers'
      Compensation, we are writing to support our assertions about these
      irregularities by explaining a specific problem many of us are
      having with the anti-malarial drug Lariam (Mefloquine). Your
      constituent advocate, Greg Swanholm, asked if we could get a letter
      signed by a wide variety of people from different organizations and
      the military so that you might address our specific issue in the
      Senate. I explained to Mr. Swanholm that problems with this drug
      extend beyond the Peace Corps to other government employees and the
      military. He indicated that such a letter would help initiate an
      investigation through your office or at least bring the issue to
      your attention directly so that you could bring it up with the other
      Senators.
      > Lariam (Mefloquine) has an egregious history. In 1991 when the
      drug was introduced the World Health Organization (WHO) and the drug
      manufacturer itself (Hoffman-Laroche, Roche) published a report
      explaining that there were problems with this drug. From the
      beginning resistance to disclosing the reasons for this concern were
      ignored, and a medication guide wasn't published to accompany the
      drug until 2003 at the request of the FDA. Additionally Lariam
      wasn't tested properly on animals or in voluntary trials on humans
      before it was prescribed to the population in general. There is
      literature to support this.
      > This literature criticizing Lariam can be found on a website
      devoted to supporting people who have suffered from adverse side
      effects of Lariam. That website is www.lariaminfo.org and the
      organization is called Lariam Action. I am not writing on behalf of
      Lariam Action, though, rather on the behalf of Returned Peace Corps
      volunteers who have suffered and who are having trouble getting
      Workers' Compensation requests approved by the Department of Labor
      and the Office of Worker's Compensation.
      > Whether we can get signatures from other government employees and
      the military would be something that I as a Returned Peace Corps
      volunteer would need help with because I have no affiliation with
      these other government organizations or the military except as a
      United States citizen. Anyone else who wanted to sign this letter
      would have to come through the veteran's advocate in your office, or
      through interest from people affected by Lariam in these other
      government organizations. Is this something your office could
      inquire about, investigate, or facilitate with the ultimate goal of
      having the drug pulled from the market to ensure the safety of
      future generations of Peace Corps volunteers?
      > Thank you,
      >
      > Andy Sterioff

      www.hthglobal. org and make a tax deductible contribution to: Hope
      Through Health, PO Box 605, Medway, MA 02053-0605

      > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools. search.yahoo.
      com/newsearch/ category. php?category= shopping

      _______________

      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 10, 2007

        That's a good question.  Greg, the constituent advocate, wanted people who were affected by Lariam to sign the letter.  But I think that the more signatures we have the better.  The main point here is to get an investigation and to have it discontinued, so I think the best way to do this is to get as many signatures as possible.  The problem, then, is that if the Senator's office wanted stories from the list of signators the signers wouldn't necessarily be accurate for Lariam claims.  Let's see how many Lariam sufferers will sign this, then go from there.

        ____________ ___

        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 11, 2007
          Another approach is to have two groups of signatures: one from
          persons affected by Lariam, and a second from other concerned
          parties. As long as you clearly delineate the two groups, you won't
          appear to be deceitful. I suggest this approach because, like you,
          I think that more signatures increase the impact of the letter.

          Just a thought ...

          Kevin

          --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Sterioff <apsterioff@...> wrote:

          > That's a good question. Greg, the constituent advocate, wanted
          people who were affected by Lariam to sign the letter. But I think
          that the more signatures we have the better. The main point here is
          to get an investigation and to have it discontinued, so I think the
          best way to do this is to get as many signatures as possible. The
          problem, then, is that if the Senator's office wanted stories from
          the list of signators the signers wouldn't necessarily be accurate
          for Lariam claims. Let's see how many Lariam sufferers will sign
          this, then go from there.

          > Andy Sterioff
        • riverock5
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 11, 2007
            i think it would look very bad and discredit our group if we add signatures that are not
            larium related, if that is what they are looking for. i agree that it is important that they
            look into this, but i think we need to be careful. if they cannot believe our signatures
            (because we've added folks who are not affected by this situation), why would they believe
            our stories?

            heidi

            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 11, 2007
              Sorry, I've only been sort of following this, so I may
              have missed something that was already covered. I'm on
              workers comp for Lariam, but I don't want to sign the
              letter if the only point is to get Lariam discontinued.
              Most of the people who take it have no problem with it.
              If the Peace Corps/the government just did some work to
              find out who is most likely to have side effects,
              monitored everyone (as opposed to telling them that they
              are being foolish and sending them home), and followed the
              instructions on the warning label, the number of problems
              would be severely curtailed. Besides, ultimately the
              government will choose Lariam over the concerns of a few
              injured people. It does its job better than many of the
              alternatives and is more useful in situations where the
              people who take it are flakey (like Peace Corps
              volunteers). It is a lot cheaper than Malarone, and doxy
              seems to cause more immediate side effects. I think it
              would be better to ask for the DoD's Lariam study to be
              released and for better monitoring. -- Felicia

            • Donald Weaks
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 11, 2007
                Felicia is absolutely correct. I did doxy every
                morning at 6pm like clock work for 3+ years with no
                ill effects and watched as Mefoquine and Lariam users
                would take their dosage at 5 to 10 days cycles saying,
                what the hell!
                --- Felicia <felicia@...> wrote:

                > Sorry, I've only been sort of following this, so I
                > may
                > have missed something that was already covered. I'm
                > on
                > workers comp for Lariam, but I don't want to sign
                > the
                > letter if the only point is to get Lariam
                > discontinued.
                > Most of the people who take it have no problem with
                > it.
                > If the Peace Corps/the government just did some work
                > find out who is most likely to have side effects,
                > monitored everyone (as opposed to telling them that
                > they
                > are being foolish and sending them home), and
                > followed the
                > instructions on the warning label, the number of
                > problems
                > would be severely curtailed. Besides, ultimately
                > the
                > government will choose Lariam over the concerns of a
                > few
                > injured people. It does its job better than many of
                > the
                > alternatives and is more useful in situations where
                > the
                > people who take it are flakey (like Peace Corps
                > volunteers). It is a lot cheaper than Malarone, and
                > doxy
                > seems to cause more immediate side effects. I think
                > it
                > would be better to ask for the DoD's Lariam study to
                > be
                > released and for better monitoring. -- Felicia
                >
                > > That's a good question. Greg, the constituent
                > advocate,
                > > wanted people who were affected by Lariam to sign
                > the
                > > letter. But I think that the more signatures we
                > have the
                > > better. The main point here is to get an
                > investigation
                > > and to have it discontinued, so I think the best
                > way to do
                > > this is to get as many signatures as possible.
                > The
                > > problem, then, is that if the Senator's office
                > wanted
                > > stories from the list of signators the signers
                > wouldn't
                > > necessarily be accurate for Lariam claims. Let's
                > see how
                > > many Lariam sufferers will sign this, then go from
                > there.
                > >
                > > Andy Sterioff

                === message truncated ===

                HELP FIGHT HIV and AIDS in AFRICA. Visit our website at www.hthglobal.org and make a tax deductible contribution to: Hope Through Health, PO Box 605, Medway, MA 02053-0605

                Be a better friend, newshound, and
              • Kate Schachter
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 11, 2007
                  I am willing to sign this letter. In this electronic age, what does
                  that mean?

                  Kate

                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 11, 2007

                    Felicia,

                    The statistics I've seen say that 20% or more of Lariam users suffer adverse side effects, many of them severe and permanent.  So there are a large number of people are affected.  There is very little way to know who exactly will be affected aside from the obvious, e.g. people suffering from depression, etc.

                    ymailto="mailto:owcp2004%40yahoo.com">owcp2004@yahoo. com>

                    newshound, and

                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 12, 2007
                      Where did you see those statistics? The study I've seen
                      does indeed say that about 25% of people suffer some short
                      term side effects but only 1 in 10,000 have something
                      severe enough that it requires hospitalization. I totally
                      disagree that there is no way to know who will be
                      affected. It seems that it is mainly "type A"
                      personalities. However, if no one studies it, we can
                      guarantee that no one will know. All this might be more
                      clear in the DOD study, but since they haven't released
                      it, we don't know about that either. Since most of us
                      can't even get diagnosed as having had problems with
                      Lariam, it seems like we will face significant difficulty
                      getting this drug taken off the market. However, saying
                      "Many of us think this drug is the cause of our problems
                      and many doctors agree. Would you please pressure the DOD
                      to release their study and ask other government agencies
                      that use it to keep much much better records of who gets
                      it and how they react?" seems like it would get a better
                      reception. If it then turns out that many more Peace
                      Corps volunteers and service members are having problems
                      than was originally believed, then everyone will call for
                      these organizations to stop using it rather than just a
                      few people. -- Felicia

                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 12, 2007
                        Go to www.lariaminfo.org and read the most recent article, an article that appeared on the website and in the journal Medication Sense.

                        Where did you see those statistics? The study I've seen
                        does indeed say that about 25% of people suffer some short
                        term side effects but only 1 in 10,000 have something
                        severe enough that it requires hospitalization. I totally
                        disagree that there is no way to know who will be
                        affected. It seems that it is mainly "type A"
                        personalities. However, if no one studies it, we can
                        guarantee that no one will know. All this might be more
                        clear in the DOD study, but since they haven't released
                        it, we don't know about that either. Since most of us
                        can't even get diagnosed as having had problems with
                        Lariam, it seems like we will face significant difficulty
                        getting this drug taken off the market. However, saying
                        "Many of us think this drug is the cause of our problems
                        and many doctors agree. Would you please pressure the DOD
                        to release their study and ask other government agencies
                        that use it to keep much much better records of who gets
                        it and how they react?" seems like it would get a better
                        reception. If it then turns out that many more Peace
                        Corps volunteers and service members are having problems
                        than was originally believed, then everyone will call for
                        these organizations to stop using it rather than just a
                        few people. -- Felicia

                        > Felicia,
                        >
                        > The statistics I've seen say that 20% or more of Lariam
                        > users suffer adverse side effects, many of them severe and
                        > permanent. So there are a large number of people are
                        > affected. There is very little way to know who exactly
                        > will be affected aside from the obvious, e.g. people
                        > suffering from depression, etc.
                        >
                        > Andy Sterioff

                        com>

                        Klobuchar

                        _________ _

                        target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://tools. search.yahoo. com/newsearch/ category. php?category= shopping

                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 13, 2007
                          Thank you Nancy,

                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 13, 2007
                            Sorry, but that was written by Sue Rose from Lariaminfo.
                            While they are good people and I appreciate their work,
                            Sue is a lawyer, not a researcher or a doctor (I think).
                            I do not believe that they accurately represent the number
                            of people who have problems with Lariam. For a long time,
                            they were saying 40%, which just isn't true from my
                            experience.

                            Anyway, I expect we are boring others with our continued
                            discussion of this subject, since it relates to relatively
                            few OWCP claims. If you would like to discuss it further,
                            we should probably do it outside the group. -- Felicia

                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 13, 2007
                              Sue also has her MPH (Master's of Public Health) and does work for Lariam Action pro bono.

                              ymailto="mailto:felicia%40panix.com">felicia@panix. com>