Re: Letter to Senator Klobuchar....

    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 9, 2007
      Hi Kate,

      Can't you read Andy's email that I "attached" to message #632
      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/owcp/message/632)? I can.

      I'm asking because I'd like to avoid problems, which may be machine
      specific, in the future. Thanks.

      Kevin

      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 10, 2007
        Do you want signatures from all concerned RPCVs or only those who
        are affected by Lariam?

        --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Sterioff <apsterioff@...> wrote:

        > Here is the letter I drafted.
        >
        > The Honorable Senator Amy Klobuchar
        > United States Senator
        > 302 Hart Office Building
        > Washington, D.C.
        > 20510 December 8, 2007
        >
        > Dear Senator Klobuchar,
        > As a follow up to our letter on irregularities in the claims
        process in the Department of Labor and the Office of Workers'
        Compensation, we are writing to support our assertions about these
        irregularities by explaining a specific problem many of us are
        having with the anti-malarial drug Lariam (Mefloquine). Your
        constituent advocate, Greg Swanholm, asked if we could get a letter
        signed by a wide variety of people from different organizations and
        the military so that you might address our specific issue in the
        Senate. I explained to Mr. Swanholm that problems with this drug
        extend beyond the Peace Corps to other government employees and the
        military. He indicated that such a letter would help initiate an
        investigation through your office or at least bring the issue to
        your attention directly so that you could bring it up with the other
        Senators.
        > Lariam (Mefloquine) has an egregious history. In 1991 when the
        drug was introduced the World Health Organization (WHO) and the drug
        manufacturer itself (Hoffman-Laroche, Roche) published a report
        explaining that there were problems with this drug. From the
        beginning resistance to disclosing the reasons for this concern were
        ignored, and a medication guide wasn't published to accompany the
        drug until 2003 at the request of the FDA. Additionally Lariam
        wasn't tested properly on animals or in voluntary trials on humans
        before it was prescribed to the population in general. There is
        literature to support this.
        > This literature criticizing Lariam can be found on a website
        devoted to supporting people who have suffered from adverse side
        effects of Lariam. That website is www.lariaminfo.org and the
        organization is called Lariam Action. I am not writing on behalf of
        Lariam Action, though, rather on the behalf of Returned Peace Corps
        volunteers who have suffered and who are having trouble getting
        Workers' Compensation requests approved by the Department of Labor
        and the Office of Worker's Compensation.
        > Whether we can get signatures from other government employees and
        the military would be something that I as a Returned Peace Corps
        volunteer would need help with because I have no affiliation with
        these other government organizations or the military except as a
        United States citizen. Anyone else who wanted to sign this letter
        would have to come through the veteran's advocate in your office, or
        through interest from people affected by Lariam in these other
        government organizations. Is this something your office could
        inquire about, investigate, or facilitate with the ultimate goal of
        having the drug pulled from the market to ensure the safety of
        future generations of Peace Corps volunteers?
        > Thank you,
        >
        > Andy Sterioff

        www.hthglobal. org and make a tax deductible contribution to: Hope
        Through Health, PO Box 605, Medway, MA 02053-0605

        > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools. search.yahoo.
        com/newsearch/ category. php?category= shopping

        _______________

        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 10, 2007

          That's a good question.  Greg, the constituent advocate, wanted people who were affected by Lariam to sign the letter.  But I think that the more signatures we have the better.  The main point here is to get an investigation and to have it discontinued, so I think the best way to do this is to get as many signatures as possible.  The problem, then, is that if the Senator's office wanted stories from the list of signators the signers wouldn't necessarily be accurate for Lariam claims.  Let's see how many Lariam sufferers will sign this, then go from there.

          ____________ ___

          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 11, 2007
            Another approach is to have two groups of signatures: one from
            persons affected by Lariam, and a second from other concerned
            parties. As long as you clearly delineate the two groups, you won't
            appear to be deceitful. I suggest this approach because, like you,
            I think that more signatures increase the impact of the letter.

            Just a thought ...

            Kevin

            --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Sterioff <apsterioff@...> wrote:

            > That's a good question. Greg, the constituent advocate, wanted
            people who were affected by Lariam to sign the letter. But I think
            that the more signatures we have the better. The main point here is
            to get an investigation and to have it discontinued, so I think the
            best way to do this is to get as many signatures as possible. The
            problem, then, is that if the Senator's office wanted stories from
            the list of signators the signers wouldn't necessarily be accurate
            for Lariam claims. Let's see how many Lariam sufferers will sign
            this, then go from there.

            > Andy Sterioff
          • riverock5
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 11, 2007
              i think it would look very bad and discredit our group if we add signatures that are not
              larium related, if that is what they are looking for. i agree that it is important that they
              look into this, but i think we need to be careful. if they cannot believe our signatures
              (because we've added folks who are not affected by this situation), why would they believe
              our stories?

              heidi

              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 11, 2007
                Sorry, I've only been sort of following this, so I may
                have missed something that was already covered. I'm on
                workers comp for Lariam, but I don't want to sign the
                letter if the only point is to get Lariam discontinued.
                Most of the people who take it have no problem with it.
                If the Peace Corps/the government just did some work to
                find out who is most likely to have side effects,
                monitored everyone (as opposed to telling them that they
                are being foolish and sending them home), and followed the
                instructions on the warning label, the number of problems
                would be severely curtailed. Besides, ultimately the
                government will choose Lariam over the concerns of a few
                injured people. It does its job better than many of the
                alternatives and is more useful in situations where the
                people who take it are flakey (like Peace Corps
                volunteers). It is a lot cheaper than Malarone, and doxy
                seems to cause more immediate side effects. I think it
                would be better to ask for the DoD's Lariam study to be
                released and for better monitoring. -- Felicia

              • Donald Weaks
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 11, 2007
                  Felicia is absolutely correct. I did doxy every
                  morning at 6pm like clock work for 3+ years with no
                  ill effects and watched as Mefoquine and Lariam users
                  would take their dosage at 5 to 10 days cycles saying,
                  what the hell!
                  --- Felicia <felicia@...> wrote:

                  > Sorry, I've only been sort of following this, so I
                  > may
                  > have missed something that was already covered. I'm
                  > on
                  > workers comp for Lariam, but I don't want to sign
                  > the
                  > letter if the only point is to get Lariam
                  > discontinued.
                  > Most of the people who take it have no problem with
                  > it.
                  > If the Peace Corps/the government just did some work
                  > find out who is most likely to have side effects,
                  > monitored everyone (as opposed to telling them that
                  > they
                  > are being foolish and sending them home), and
                  > followed the
                  > instructions on the warning label, the number of
                  > problems
                  > would be severely curtailed. Besides, ultimately
                  > the
                  > government will choose Lariam over the concerns of a
                  > few
                  > injured people. It does its job better than many of
                  > the
                  > alternatives and is more useful in situations where
                  > the
                  > people who take it are flakey (like Peace Corps
                  > volunteers). It is a lot cheaper than Malarone, and
                  > doxy
                  > seems to cause more immediate side effects. I think
                  > it
                  > would be better to ask for the DoD's Lariam study to
                  > be
                  > released and for better monitoring. -- Felicia
                  >
                  > > That's a good question. Greg, the constituent
                  > advocate,
                  > > wanted people who were affected by Lariam to sign
                  > the
                  > > letter. But I think that the more signatures we
                  > have the
                  > > better. The main point here is to get an
                  > investigation
                  > > and to have it discontinued, so I think the best
                  > way to do
                  > > this is to get as many signatures as possible.
                  > The
                  > > problem, then, is that if the Senator's office
                  > wanted
                  > > stories from the list of signators the signers
                  > wouldn't
                  > > necessarily be accurate for Lariam claims. Let's
                  > see how
                  > > many Lariam sufferers will sign this, then go from
                  > there.
                  > >
                  > > Andy Sterioff

                  === message truncated ===

                  HELP FIGHT HIV and AIDS in AFRICA. Visit our website at www.hthglobal.org and make a tax deductible contribution to: Hope Through Health, PO Box 605, Medway, MA 02053-0605

                  Be a better friend, newshound, and
                • Kate Schachter
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 11, 2007
                    I am willing to sign this letter. In this electronic age, what does
                    that mean?

                    Kate

                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 11, 2007

                      Felicia,

                      The statistics I've seen say that 20% or more of Lariam users suffer adverse side effects, many of them severe and permanent.  So there are a large number of people are affected.  There is very little way to know who exactly will be affected aside from the obvious, e.g. people suffering from depression, etc.

                      ymailto="mailto:owcp2004%40yahoo.com">owcp2004@yahoo. com>

                      newshound, and

                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 12, 2007
                        Where did you see those statistics? The study I've seen
                        does indeed say that about 25% of people suffer some short
                        term side effects but only 1 in 10,000 have something
                        severe enough that it requires hospitalization. I totally
                        disagree that there is no way to know who will be
                        affected. It seems that it is mainly "type A"
                        personalities. However, if no one studies it, we can
                        guarantee that no one will know. All this might be more
                        clear in the DOD study, but since they haven't released
                        it, we don't know about that either. Since most of us
                        can't even get diagnosed as having had problems with
                        Lariam, it seems like we will face significant difficulty
                        getting this drug taken off the market. However, saying
                        "Many of us think this drug is the cause of our problems
                        and many doctors agree. Would you please pressure the DOD
                        to release their study and ask other government agencies
                        that use it to keep much much better records of who gets
                        it and how they react?" seems like it would get a better
                        reception. If it then turns out that many more Peace
                        Corps volunteers and service members are having problems
                        than was originally believed, then everyone will call for
                        these organizations to stop using it rather than just a
                        few people. -- Felicia

                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 12, 2007
                          Go to www.lariaminfo.org and read the most recent article, an article that appeared on the website and in the journal Medication Sense.

                          Where did you see those statistics? The study I've seen
                          does indeed say that about 25% of people suffer some short
                          term side effects but only 1 in 10,000 have something
                          severe enough that it requires hospitalization. I totally
                          disagree that there is no way to know who will be
                          affected. It seems that it is mainly "type A"
                          personalities. However, if no one studies it, we can
                          guarantee that no one will know. All this might be more
                          clear in the DOD study, but since they haven't released
                          it, we don't know about that either. Since most of us
                          can't even get diagnosed as having had problems with
                          Lariam, it seems like we will face significant difficulty
                          getting this drug taken off the market. However, saying
                          "Many of us think this drug is the cause of our problems
                          and many doctors agree. Would you please pressure the DOD
                          to release their study and ask other government agencies
                          that use it to keep much much better records of who gets
                          it and how they react?" seems like it would get a better
                          reception. If it then turns out that many more Peace
                          Corps volunteers and service members are having problems
                          than was originally believed, then everyone will call for
                          these organizations to stop using it rather than just a
                          few people. -- Felicia

                          > Felicia,
                          >
                          > The statistics I've seen say that 20% or more of Lariam
                          > users suffer adverse side effects, many of them severe and
                          > permanent. So there are a large number of people are
                          > affected. There is very little way to know who exactly
                          > will be affected aside from the obvious, e.g. people
                          > suffering from depression, etc.
                          >
                          > Andy Sterioff

                          com>

                          Klobuchar

                          _________ _

                          target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://tools. search.yahoo. com/newsearch/ category. php?category= shopping

                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 13, 2007
                            Thank you Nancy,

                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 13, 2007
                              Sorry, but that was written by Sue Rose from Lariaminfo.
                              While they are good people and I appreciate their work,
                              Sue is a lawyer, not a researcher or a doctor (I think).
                              I do not believe that they accurately represent the number
                              of people who have problems with Lariam. For a long time,
                              they were saying 40%, which just isn't true from my
                              experience.

                              Anyway, I expect we are boring others with our continued
                              discussion of this subject, since it relates to relatively
                              few OWCP claims. If you would like to discuss it further,
                              we should probably do it outside the group. -- Felicia

                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 13, 2007
                                Sue also has her MPH (Master's of Public Health) and does work for Lariam Action pro bono.

                                ymailto="mailto:felicia%40panix.com">felicia@panix. com>