Re: [owcp] Re: Letter to Senator Klobuchar....

    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 9, 2007

      Here is the letter I drafted.

      The Honorable Senator Amy Klobuchar

      United States Senator

      302 Hart Office Building

      Washington, D.C.

      20510 December 8, 2007

      Dear Senator Klobuchar,

      As a follow up to our letter on irregularities in the claims process in the Department of Labor and the Office of Workers' Compensation, we are writing to support our assertions about these irregularities by explaining a specific problem many of us are having with the anti-malarial drug Lariam (Mefloquine). Your constituent advocate, Greg Swanholm, asked if we could get a letter signed by a wide variety of people from different organizations and the military so that you might address our specific issue in the Senate. I explained to Mr. Swanholm that problems with this drug extend beyond the Peace Corps to other government employees and the military. He indicated that such a letter would help initiate an investigation through your office or at least bring the issue to your attention directly so that you could bring it up with the other Senators.

      Lariam (Mefloquine) has an egregious history. In 1991 when the drug was introduced the World Health Organization (WHO) and the drug manufacturer itself (Hoffman-Laroche, Roche) published a report explaining that there were problems with this drug. From the beginning resistance to disclosing the reasons for this concern were ignored, and a medication guide wasn't published to accompany the drug until 2003 at the request of the FDA. Additionally Lariam wasn't tested properly on animals or in voluntary trials on humans before it was prescribed to the population in general. There is literature to support this.

      This literature criticizing Lariam can be found on a website devoted to supporting people who have suffered from adverse side effects of Lariam. That website is www.lariaminfo.org and the organization is called Lariam Action. I am not writing on behalf of Lariam Action, though, rather on the behalf of Returned Peace Corps volunteers who have suffered and who are having trouble getting Workers' Compensation requests approved by the Department of Labor and the Office of Worker's Compensation.

      Whether we can get signatures from other government employees and the military would be something that I as a Returned Peace Corps volunteer would need help with because I have no affiliation with these other government organizations or the military except as a United States citizen. Anyone else who wanted to sign this letter would have to come through the veteran's advocate in your office, or through interest from people affected by Lariam in these other government organizations. Is this something your office could inquire about, investigate, or facilitate with the ultimate goal of having the drug pulled from the market to ensure the safety of future generations of Peace Corps volunteers?

      Thank you,

      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 9, 2007
        Hi Kate,

        Can't you read Andy's email that I "attached" to message #632
        (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/owcp/message/632)? I can.

        I'm asking because I'd like to avoid problems, which may be machine
        specific, in the future. Thanks.

        Kevin

        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 10, 2007
          Do you want signatures from all concerned RPCVs or only those who
          are affected by Lariam?

          --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Sterioff <apsterioff@...> wrote:

> [...]
          volunteers who have suffered and who are having trouble getting
          Workers' Compensation requests approved by the Department of Labor
          and the Office of Worker's Compensation.
          > Whether we can get signatures from other government employees and
          the military would be something that I as a Returned Peace Corps
          volunteer would need help with because I have no affiliation with
          these other government organizations or the military except as a
          United States citizen. Anyone else who wanted to sign this letter
          would have to come through the veteran's advocate in your office, or
          through interest from people affected by Lariam in these other
          government organizations. Is this something your office could
          inquire about, investigate, or facilitate with the ultimate goal of
          having the drug pulled from the market to ensure the safety of
          future generations of Peace Corps volunteers?

          com/newsearch/ category. php?category= shopping

          _______________

          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 10, 2007

            That's a good question.  Greg, the constituent advocate, wanted people who were affected by Lariam to sign the letter.  But I think that the more signatures we have the better.  The main point here is to get an investigation and to have it discontinued, so I think the best way to do this is to get as many signatures as possible.  The problem, then, is that if the Senator's office wanted stories from the list of signators the signers wouldn't necessarily be accurate for Lariam claims.  Let's see how many Lariam sufferers will sign this, then go from there.

            ____________ ___

            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 11, 2007
              Another approach is to have two groups of signatures: one from
              persons affected by Lariam, and a second from other concerned
              parties. As long as you clearly delineate the two groups, you won't
              appear to be deceitful. I suggest this approach because, like you,
              I think that more signatures increase the impact of the letter.

              Just a thought ...

              Kevin

              --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Sterioff <apsterioff@...> wrote:

              > That's a good question. Greg, the constituent advocate, wanted
              people who were affected by Lariam to sign the letter. But I think
              that the more signatures we have the better. The main point here is
              to get an investigation and to have it discontinued, so I think the
              best way to do this is to get as many signatures as possible. The
              problem, then, is that if the Senator's office wanted stories from
              the list of signators the signers wouldn't necessarily be accurate
              for Lariam claims. Let's see how many Lariam sufferers will sign
              this, then go from there.

              > Andy Sterioff
            • riverock5
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 11, 2007
                i think it would look very bad and discredit our group if we add signatures that are not
                larium related, if that is what they are looking for. i agree that it is important that they
                look into this, but i think we need to be careful. if they cannot believe our signatures
                (because we've added folks who are not affected by this situation), why would they believe
                our stories?

                heidi

                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 11, 2007
                  Sorry, I've only been sort of following this, so I may
                  have missed something that was already covered. I'm on
                  workers comp for Lariam, but I don't want to sign the
                  letter if the only point is to get Lariam discontinued.
                  Most of the people who take it have no problem with it.
                  If the Peace Corps/the government just did some work to
                  find out who is most likely to have side effects,
                  monitored everyone (as opposed to telling them that they
                  are being foolish and sending them home), and followed the
                  instructions on the warning label, the number of problems
                  would be severely curtailed. Besides, ultimately the
                  government will choose Lariam over the concerns of a few
                  injured people. It does its job better than many of the
                  alternatives and is more useful in situations where the
                  people who take it are flakey (like Peace Corps
                  volunteers). It is a lot cheaper than Malarone, and doxy
                  seems to cause more immediate side effects. I think it
                  would be better to ask for the DoD's Lariam study to be
                  released and for better monitoring. -- Felicia

                • Donald Weaks
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 11, 2007
                    Felicia is absolutely correct. I did doxy every
                    morning at 6pm like clock work for 3+ years with no
                    ill effects and watched as Mefoquine and Lariam users
                    would take their dosage at 5 to 10 days cycles saying,
                    what the hell!
                    --- Felicia <felicia@...> wrote:

                    > Sorry, I've only been sort of following this, so I
                    > may
                    > have missed something that was already covered. I'm
                    > on
                    > workers comp for Lariam, but I don't want to sign
                    > the
                    > letter if the only point is to get Lariam
                    > discontinued.
                    > Most of the people who take it have no problem with
                    > it.
                    > If the Peace Corps/the government just did some work
                    > find out who is most likely to have side effects,
                    > monitored everyone (as opposed to telling them that
                    > they
                    > are being foolish and sending them home), and
                    > followed the
                    > instructions on the warning label, the number of
                    > problems
                    > would be severely curtailed. Besides, ultimately
                    > the
                    > government will choose Lariam over the concerns of a
                    > few
                    > injured people. It does its job better than many of
                    > the
                    > alternatives and is more useful in situations where
                    > the
                    > people who take it are flakey (like Peace Corps
                    > volunteers). It is a lot cheaper than Malarone, and
                    > doxy
                    > seems to cause more immediate side effects. I think
                    > it
                    > would be better to ask for the DoD's Lariam study to
                    > be
                    > released and for better monitoring. -- Felicia
                    >
                    > > That's a good question. Greg, the constituent
                    > advocate,
                    > > wanted people who were affected by Lariam to sign
                    > the
                    > > letter. But I think that the more signatures we
                    > have the
                    > > better. The main point here is to get an
                    > investigation
                    > > and to have it discontinued, so I think the best
                    > way to do
                    > > this is to get as many signatures as possible.
                    > The
                    > > problem, then, is that if the Senator's office
                    > wanted
                    > > stories from the list of signators the signers
                    > wouldn't
                    > > necessarily be accurate for Lariam claims. Let's
                    > see how
                    > > many Lariam sufferers will sign this, then go from
                    > there.
                    > >
                    > > Andy Sterioff

                    === message truncated ===

                    HELP FIGHT HIV and AIDS in AFRICA. Visit our website at www.hthglobal.org and make a tax deductible contribution to: Hope Through Health, PO Box 605, Medway, MA 02053-0605

                    Be a better friend, newshound, and
                  • Kate Schachter
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 11, 2007
                      I am willing to sign this letter. In this electronic age, what does
                      that mean?

                      Kate

                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 11, 2007

                        Felicia,

                        The statistics I've seen say that 20% or more of Lariam users suffer adverse side effects, many of them severe and permanent.  So there are a large number of people are affected.  There is very little way to know who exactly will be affected aside from the obvious, e.g. people suffering from depression, etc.

                        ymailto="mailto:owcp2004%40yahoo.com">owcp2004@yahoo. com>

                        newshound, and

                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 12, 2007
                          Where did you see those statistics? The study I've seen
                          does indeed say that about 25% of people suffer some short
                          term side effects but only 1 in 10,000 have something
                          severe enough that it requires hospitalization. I totally
                          disagree that there is no way to know who will be
                          affected. It seems that it is mainly "type A"
                          personalities. However, if no one studies it, we can
                          guarantee that no one will know. All this might be more
                          clear in the DOD study, but since they haven't released
                          it, we don't know about that either. Since most of us
                          can't even get diagnosed as having had problems with
                          Lariam, it seems like we will face significant difficulty
                          getting this drug taken off the market. However, saying
                          "Many of us think this drug is the cause of our problems
                          and many doctors agree. Would you please pressure the DOD
                          to release their study and ask other government agencies
                          that use it to keep much much better records of who gets
                          it and how they react?" seems like it would get a better
                          reception. If it then turns out that many more Peace
                          Corps volunteers and service members are having problems
                          than was originally believed, then everyone will call for
                          these organizations to stop using it rather than just a
                          few people. -- Felicia

                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 12, 2007
                            Go to www.lariaminfo.org and read the most recent article, an article that appeared on the website and in the journal Medication Sense.

                            Where did you see those statistics? The study I've seen
                            does indeed say that about 25% of people suffer some short
                            term side effects but only 1 in 10,000 have something
                            severe enough that it requires hospitalization. I totally
                            disagree that there is no way to know who will be
                            affected. It seems that it is mainly "type A"
                            personalities. However, if no one studies it, we can
                            guarantee that no one will know. All this might be more
                            clear in the DOD study, but since they haven't released
                            it, we don't know about that either. Since most of us
                            can't even get diagnosed as having had problems with
                            Lariam, it seems like we will face significant difficulty
                            getting this drug taken off the market. However, saying
                            "Many of us think this drug is the cause of our problems
                            and many doctors agree. Would you please pressure the DOD
                            to release their study and ask other government agencies
                            that use it to keep much much better records of who gets
                            it and how they react?" seems like it would get a better
                            reception. If it then turns out that many more Peace
                            Corps volunteers and service members are having problems
                            than was originally believed, then everyone will call for
                            these organizations to stop using it rather than just a
                            few people. -- Felicia

                            > Felicia,
                            >
                            > The statistics I've seen say that 20% or more of Lariam
                            > users suffer adverse side effects, many of them severe and
                            > permanent. So there are a large number of people are
                            > affected. There is very little way to know who exactly
                            > will be affected aside from the obvious, e.g. people
                            > suffering from depression, etc.
                            >
                            > Andy Sterioff

                            com>

                            Klobuchar

                            _________ _

                            target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://tools. search.yahoo. com/newsearch/ category. php?category= shopping

                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 13, 2007
                              Thank you Nancy,

                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 13, 2007
                                Sorry, but that was written by Sue Rose from Lariaminfo.
                                While they are good people and I appreciate their work,
                                Sue is a lawyer, not a researcher or a doctor (I think).
                                I do not believe that they accurately represent the number
                                of people who have problems with Lariam. For a long time,
                                they were saying 40%, which just isn't true from my
                                experience.

                                Anyway, I expect we are boring others with our continued
                                discussion of this subject, since it relates to relatively
                                few OWCP claims. If you would like to discuss it further,
                                we should probably do it outside the group. -- Felicia

                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 13, 2007
                                  Sue also has her MPH (Master's of Public Health) and does work for Lariam Action pro bono.

                                  ymailto="mailto:felicia%40panix.com">felicia@panix. com>