Letter to Senator Klobuchar....

    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 8, 2007
      Dear OWCP Group,

      Here is the letter I drafted for Senator Klobuchar.  I am a constituent, so her office is willing to help with my specific issue.  The costituent advocate indicated that if I could get a letter signed by a list of Returned Peace Corps volunteers with the same problem, then he would bring it up with the Senator.  Let me know if you think this letter is a good idea?  Who would like to sign this letter?

      Thank you,

      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 8, 2007
        Andy,

        Do you know about these websites? I had a friend who went to the Philippines on a Fulbright and did not take Larium because of the known ill effects. I have Peace Corps health issues that at not Larium related so I'm not able to sign your letter but I think it seems worth bringing to the table. I have no question that you are very much not alone.

        Nancy
        NYC
        Chile (1980-82)

      • Kate Schachter
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 9, 2007
          The last two messages on this topic of larium have
          referenced "following" or "here is" information that doesn't exist. I
          suspect Andy and Kevin attached files to their messages...but
          listserv's don't accommodate attachments. You either have to put them
          into the text of the message, or post them in the Files section (I
          checked...they're not there).

          I'm very interested in signing and supporting this particular issue, as
          it affected me in my medical condition. Please do one of the above two
          options so we can view the letter.

          Thanks!
          Kate
        • Donald Weaks
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 9, 2007
            To the sender of the attachments: I had the same
            problem with the first non-existing attachment, the
            second was there but it was written in the new Vista
            Word progam which is not compatible with MS Word.
            Before you send it again you need to cut and paste it
            to MS Word before you try to re-send it.
            --- Kate Schachter <kateschachter@...> wrote:

            > The last two messages on this topic of larium have
            > referenced "following" or "here is" information that
            > doesn't exist. I
            > suspect Andy and Kevin attached files to their
            > messages...but
            > listserv's don't accommodate attachments. You either
            > have to put them
            > into the text of the message, or post them in the
            > Files section (I
            > checked...they're not there).
            >
            > I'm very interested in signing and supporting this
            > particular issue, as
            > it affected me in my medical condition. Please do
            > one of the above two
            > options so we can view the letter.
            >
            > Thanks!
            > Kate

            HELP FIGHT HIV and AIDS in AFRICA. Visit our website at www.hthglobal.org and make a tax deductible contribution to: Hope Through Health, PO Box 605, Medway, MA 02053-0605

            Looking for last minute shopping deals?
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 9, 2007

              Here is the letter I drafted.

              The Honorable Senator Amy Klobuchar

              United States Senator

              302 Hart Office Building

              Washington, D.C.

              20510 December 8, 2007

              Dear Senator Klobuchar,

              As a follow up to our letter on irregularities in the claims process in the Department of Labor and the Office of Workers' Compensation, we are writing to support our assertions about these irregularities by explaining a specific problem many of us are having with the anti-malarial drug Lariam (Mefloquine). Your constituent advocate, Greg Swanholm, asked if we could get a letter signed by a wide variety of people from different organizations and the military so that you might address our specific issue in the Senate. I explained to Mr. Swanholm that problems with this drug extend beyond the Peace Corps to other government employees and the military. He indicated that such a letter would help initiate an investigation through your office or at least bring the issue to your attention directly so that you could bring it up with the other Senators.

              Lariam (Mefloquine) has an egregious history. In 1991 when the drug was introduced the World Health Organization (WHO) and the drug manufacturer itself (Hoffman-Laroche, Roche) published a report explaining that there were problems with this drug. From the beginning resistance to disclosing the reasons for this concern were ignored, and a medication guide wasn't published to accompany the drug until 2003 at the request of the FDA. Additionally Lariam wasn't tested properly on animals or in voluntary trials on humans before it was prescribed to the population in general. There is literature to support this.

              This literature criticizing Lariam can be found on a website devoted to supporting people who have suffered from adverse side effects of Lariam. That website is www.lariaminfo.org and the organization is called Lariam Action. I am not writing on behalf of Lariam Action, though, rather on the behalf of Returned Peace Corps volunteers who have suffered and who are having trouble getting Workers' Compensation requests approved by the Department of Labor and the Office of Worker's Compensation.

              Whether we can get signatures from other government employees and the military would be something that I as a Returned Peace Corps volunteer would need help with because I have no affiliation with these other government organizations or the military except as a United States citizen. Anyone else who wanted to sign this letter would have to come through the veteran's advocate in your office, or through interest from people affected by Lariam in these other government organizations. Is this something your office could inquire about, investigate, or facilitate with the ultimate goal of having the drug pulled from the market to ensure the safety of future generations of Peace Corps volunteers?

              Thank you,

              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 9, 2007
                Hi Kate,

                Can't you read Andy's email that I "attached" to message #632
                (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/owcp/message/632)? I can.

                I'm asking because I'd like to avoid problems, which may be machine
                specific, in the future. Thanks.

                Kevin

                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 10, 2007
                  Do you want signatures from all concerned RPCVs or only those who
                  are affected by Lariam?

                  --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Sterioff <apsterioff@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  volunteers who have suffered and who are having trouble getting
                  Workers' Compensation requests approved by the Department of Labor
                  and the Office of Worker's Compensation.
                  > Whether we can get signatures from other government employees and
                  the military would be something that I as a Returned Peace Corps
                  volunteer would need help with because I have no affiliation with
                  these other government organizations or the military except as a
                  United States citizen. Anyone else who wanted to sign this letter
                  would have to come through the veteran's advocate in your office, or
                  through interest from people affected by Lariam in these other
                  government organizations. Is this something your office could
                  inquire about, investigate, or facilitate with the ultimate goal of
                  having the drug pulled from the market to ensure the safety of
                  future generations of Peace Corps volunteers?

                  com/newsearch/ category. php?category= shopping

                  _______________

                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 10, 2007

                    That's a good question.  Greg, the constituent advocate, wanted people who were affected by Lariam to sign the letter.  But I think that the more signatures we have the better.  The main point here is to get an investigation and to have it discontinued, so I think the best way to do this is to get as many signatures as possible.  The problem, then, is that if the Senator's office wanted stories from the list of signators the signers wouldn't necessarily be accurate for Lariam claims.  Let's see how many Lariam sufferers will sign this, then go from there.

                    ____________ ___

                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 11, 2007
                      Another approach is to have two groups of signatures: one from
                      persons affected by Lariam, and a second from other concerned
                      parties. As long as you clearly delineate the two groups, you won't
                      appear to be deceitful. I suggest this approach because, like you,
                      I think that more signatures increase the impact of the letter.

                      Just a thought ...

                      Kevin

                      --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Sterioff <apsterioff@...> wrote:

                      > That's a good question. Greg, the constituent advocate, wanted
                      people who were affected by Lariam to sign the letter. But I think
                      that the more signatures we have the better. The main point here is
                      to get an investigation and to have it discontinued, so I think the
                      best way to do this is to get as many signatures as possible. The
                      problem, then, is that if the Senator's office wanted stories from
                      the list of signators the signers wouldn't necessarily be accurate
                      for Lariam claims. Let's see how many Lariam sufferers will sign
                      this, then go from there.

                      > Andy Sterioff
                    • riverock5
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 11, 2007
                        i think it would look very bad and discredit our group if we add signatures that are not
                        larium related, if that is what they are looking for. i agree that it is important that they
                        look into this, but i think we need to be careful. if they cannot believe our signatures
                        (because we've added folks who are not affected by this situation), why would they believe
                        our stories?

                        heidi

                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 11, 2007
                          Sorry, I've only been sort of following this, so I may
                          have missed something that was already covered. I'm on
                          workers comp for Lariam, but I don't want to sign the
                          letter if the only point is to get Lariam discontinued.
                          Most of the people who take it have no problem with it.
                          If the Peace Corps/the government just did some work to
                          find out who is most likely to have side effects,
                          monitored everyone (as opposed to telling them that they
                          are being foolish and sending them home), and followed the
                          instructions on the warning label, the number of problems
                          would be severely curtailed. Besides, ultimately the
                          government will choose Lariam over the concerns of a few
                          injured people. It does its job better than many of the
                          alternatives and is more useful in situations where the
                          people who take it are flakey (like Peace Corps
                          volunteers). It is a lot cheaper than Malarone, and doxy
                          seems to cause more immediate side effects. I think it
                          would be better to ask for the DoD's Lariam study to be
                          released and for better monitoring. -- Felicia

                        • Donald Weaks
                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 11, 2007
                            Felicia is absolutely correct. I did doxy every
                            morning at 6pm like clock work for 3+ years with no
                            ill effects and watched as Mefoquine and Lariam users
                            would take their dosage at 5 to 10 days cycles saying,
                            what the hell!
                            --- Felicia <felicia@...> wrote:

                            > Sorry, I've only been sort of following this, so I
                            > may
                            > have missed something that was already covered. I'm
                            > on
                            > workers comp for Lariam, but I don't want to sign
                            > the
                            > letter if the only point is to get Lariam
                            > discontinued.
                            > Most of the people who take it have no problem with
                            > it.
                            > If the Peace Corps/the government just did some work
                            > find out who is most likely to have side effects,
                            > monitored everyone (as opposed to telling them that
                            > they
                            > are being foolish and sending them home), and
                            > followed the
                            > instructions on the warning label, the number of
                            > problems
                            > would be severely curtailed. Besides, ultimately
                            > the
                            > government will choose Lariam over the concerns of a
                            > few
                            > injured people. It does its job better than many of
                            > the
                            > alternatives and is more useful in situations where
                            > the
                            > people who take it are flakey (like Peace Corps
                            > volunteers). It is a lot cheaper than Malarone, and
                            > doxy
                            > seems to cause more immediate side effects. I think
                            > it
                            > would be better to ask for the DoD's Lariam study to
                            > be
                            > released and for better monitoring. -- Felicia
                            >
                            > > That's a good question. Greg, the constituent
                            > advocate,
                            > > wanted people who were affected by Lariam to sign
                            > the
                            > > letter. But I think that the more signatures we
                            > have the
                            > > better. The main point here is to get an
                            > investigation
                            > > and to have it discontinued, so I think the best
                            > way to do
                            > > this is to get as many signatures as possible.
                            > The
                            > > problem, then, is that if the Senator's office
                            > wanted
                            > > stories from the list of signators the signers
                            > wouldn't
                            > > necessarily be accurate for Lariam claims. Let's
                            > see how
                            > > many Lariam sufferers will sign this, then go from
                            > there.
                            > >
                            > > Andy Sterioff

                            === message truncated ===

                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 11, 2007
                              I am willing to sign this letter. In this electronic age, what does
                              that mean?

                              Kate

                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 11, 2007

                                Felicia,

                                The statistics I've seen say that 20% or more of Lariam users suffer adverse side effects, many of them severe and permanent.  So there are a large number of people are affected.  There is very little way to know who exactly will be affected aside from the obvious, e.g. people suffering from depression, etc.

                                ymailto="mailto:owcp2004%40yahoo.com">owcp2004@yahoo. com>

                                newshound, and

                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 12, 2007
                                  Where did you see those statistics? The study I've seen
                                  does indeed say that about 25% of people suffer some short
                                  term side effects but only 1 in 10,000 have something
                                  severe enough that it requires hospitalization. I totally
                                  disagree that there is no way to know who will be
                                  affected. It seems that it is mainly "type A"
                                  personalities. However, if no one studies it, we can
                                  guarantee that no one will know. All this might be more
                                  clear in the DOD study, but since they haven't released
                                  it, we don't know about that either. Since most of us
                                  can't even get diagnosed as having had problems with
                                  Lariam, it seems like we will face significant difficulty
                                  getting this drug taken off the market. However, saying
                                  "Many of us think this drug is the cause of our problems
                                  and many doctors agree. Would you please pressure the DOD
                                  to release their study and ask other government agencies
                                  that use it to keep much much better records of who gets
                                  it and how they react?" seems like it would get a better
                                  reception. If it then turns out that many more Peace
                                  Corps volunteers and service members are having problems
                                  than was originally believed, then everyone will call for
                                  these organizations to stop using it rather than just a
                                  few people. -- Felicia

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Dec 12, 2007
                                    Go to www.lariaminfo.org and read the most recent article, an article that appeared on the website and in the journal Medication Sense.

                                    Where did you see those statistics? The study I've seen
                                    does indeed say that about 25% of people suffer some short
                                    term side effects but only 1 in 10,000 have something
                                    severe enough that it requires hospitalization. I totally
                                    disagree that there is no way to know who will be
                                    affected. It seems that it is mainly "type A"
                                    personalities. However, if no one studies it, we can
                                    guarantee that no one will know. All this might be more
                                    clear in the DOD study, but since they haven't released
                                    it, we don't know about that either. Since most of us
                                    can't even get diagnosed as having had problems with
                                    Lariam, it seems like we will face significant difficulty
                                    getting this drug taken off the market. However, saying
                                    "Many of us think this drug is the cause of our problems
                                    and many doctors agree. Would you please pressure the DOD
                                    to release their study and ask other government agencies
                                    that use it to keep much much better records of who gets
                                    it and how they react?" seems like it would get a better
                                    reception. If it then turns out that many more Peace
                                    Corps volunteers and service members are having problems
                                    than was originally believed, then everyone will call for
                                    these organizations to stop using it rather than just a
                                    few people. -- Felicia

                                    > Felicia,
                                    >
                                    > The statistics I've seen say that 20% or more of Lariam
                                    > users suffer adverse side effects, many of them severe and
                                    > permanent. So there are a large number of people are
                                    > affected. There is very little way to know who exactly
                                    > will be affected aside from the obvious, e.g. people
                                    > suffering from depression, etc.
                                    >
                                    > Andy Sterioff

                                    com>

                                    Klobuchar

                                    _________ _

                                    target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://tools. search.yahoo. com/newsearch/ category. php?category= shopping

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Dec 13, 2007
                                      Thank you Nancy,

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Dec 13, 2007
                                        Sorry, but that was written by Sue Rose from Lariaminfo.
                                        While they are good people and I appreciate their work,
                                        Sue is a lawyer, not a researcher or a doctor (I think).
                                        I do not believe that they accurately represent the number
                                        of people who have problems with Lariam. For a long time,
                                        they were saying 40%, which just isn't true from my
                                        experience.

                                        Anyway, I expect we are boring others with our continued
                                        discussion of this subject, since it relates to relatively
                                        few OWCP claims. If you would like to discuss it further,
                                        we should probably do it outside the group. -- Felicia

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Dec 13, 2007
                                          Sue also has her MPH (Master's of Public Health) and does work for Lariam Action pro bono.

                                          ymailto="mailto:felicia%40panix.com">felicia@panix. com>