RE: [owcp] Question

  • sherri
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 28, 2007
      it is some help.But the main question was, by me injuring my r leg in the pool while doing my physical therapy, will DOL also accept this, and pay for it to be fixed.
      Thanks

      I was injured in service in India on a motorcycle in 1971. There were devastating injuries to my right leg, every segment, shortening it 2 7/8 “ and healing 23 degrees clockwise from the middle of my femur.  I was able to get around pretty well on my legs from about five or six years after the accident till about 10 years ago, (26 years post DOI) when the wear and tear on my lower back, left hip and left knee made a wheelchair necessary for me to get around. OWCP does pay for my wheelchairs and repairs as needed. Is that any help?
      Kurt
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 6, 2007
        Sherri,

        This is a tricky situation.

        If the injury to your right leg can reasonably be linked to your knee
        replacement or other surgical procedures, then I think you have a
        good argument to put forth to OWCP. What does your physical
        therapist say about the situation?

        However, if the injury sustained during physical therapy resulted
        from improper/inadequate instruction or supervision, then I think
        your physical therapist may have some culpability.

        If neither of the above apply, then your injury may be nothing more
        than bad luck and I wouldn't expect anything from OWCP.

        Hope this helps.

        Kevin