RE: [owcp] Question

  • Kurt Corwin
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 28, 2007

      I was injured in service in India on a motorcycle in 1971. There were devastating injuries to my right leg, every segment, shortening it 2 7/8 “ and healing 23 degrees clockwise from the middle of my femur.  I was able to get around pretty well on my legs from about five or six years after the accident till about 10 years ago, (26 years post DOI) when the wear and tear on my lower back, left hip and left knee made a wheelchair necessary for me to get around. OWCP does pay for my wheelchairs and repairs as needed. Is that any help?

      Kurt

      I was injured in 1994 at the PO.  Back, neck, L knee. I have had multiple surgeries on knee and back. My last surgery was going on 3 years ago. It was a total knee replacement. I was doing my PT from the pain Dr. I was doing aqua therapy. I felt my R knee pop and burn. I told the PT and he said to go home and ice it. It started swelling and hurting when bending it. I had the therapist look at it, and he did some kinda testing, he said it appeared by the test that I have probably torn a cartlidge in my knee. Now my question..Can having TKR on one knee make the other one a risk? Me having done this in PT for my back, is DOL responsible for this one also?

      Sherri

    • sherri
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 28, 2007
        it is some help.But the main question was, by me injuring my r leg in the pool while doing my physical therapy, will DOL also accept this, and pay for it to be fixed.
        Thanks

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 6, 2007
          Sherri,

          This is a tricky situation.

          If the injury to your right leg can reasonably be linked to your knee
          replacement or other surgical procedures, then I think you have a
          good argument to put forth to OWCP. What does your physical
          therapist say about the situation?

          However, if the injury sustained during physical therapy resulted
          from improper/inadequate instruction or supervision, then I think
          your physical therapist may have some culpability.

          If neither of the above apply, then your injury may be nothing more
          than bad luck and I wouldn't expect anything from OWCP.

          Hope this helps.

          Kevin