Re: [owcp] Re: Getting on total disability

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 27, 2007
      You might think about hiring a Federal Worker's Compensation attorney when cases are so severe and you don't understand the process or rules.  I'm not sure what they will ask in payment.  There are attorney's out there that specialize in Federal Worker's Compensation claims and can help you navigate the system.  I talked to one such lawyer who said he would help me appeal in the case that my claim is denied, he also advised suing for lost wages, something which I have never thought of, but he implied that suing for lost wages is standard when dealing with the Department of Labor.  I assume he will ask for a percentage of the claim.  I hate going to attorneys but the one I talked to didn't have a problem with giving me some free advice and even told me to call him back to let him know how things turned out.

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 27, 2007
        Andy's advice is excellent. I dealt with an attorney
        from the DC area to appeal an SSA decison, he told me
        finding an attorney who specializes in Labor
        Department claims is not easy. I got the same feedback
        from a guy evaluating my private disability coverage
        who was a former IG with the State Department. Good
        luck! Most of the disability claims attorneys will
        work on a contingency basis and charge a percentage of
        one year's benefits.

        HELP FIGHT HIV and AIDS in AFRICA. Visit our website at www.hthglobal.org and make a tax deductible contribution to: Hope Through Health, PO Box 605, Medway, MA 02053-0605

        Make Yahoo! your homepage.
        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • skmackie
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 27, 2007
          Thanks for all the feedback. I have a medical review coming and have written to my
          caseworker telling him that I want a change of status to total. We'll see what happens.

          Sheryl

          --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, Donald Weaks <donaldweaks@...> wrote:

          > Andy's advice is excellent. I dealt with an attorney
          > from the DC area to appeal an SSA decison, he told me
          > finding an attorney who specializes in Labor
          > Department claims is not easy. I got the same feedback
          > from a guy evaluating my private disability coverage
          > who was a former IG with the State Department. Good
          > luck! Most of the disability claims attorneys will
          > work on a contingency basis and charge a percentage of
          > one year's benefits.
          > --- Andrew Sterioff <apsterioff@...> wrote:
          >
          > > You might think about hiring a Federal Worker's
          > > Compensation attorney when cases are so severe and
          > > you don't understand the process or rules. I'm not
          > > sure what they will ask in payment. There are
          > > attorney's out there that specialize in Federal
          > > Worker's Compensation claims and can help you
          > > navigate the system. I talked to one such lawyer
          > > who said he would help me appeal in the case that my
          > > claim is denied, he also advised suing for lost
          > > wages, something which I have never thought of, but
          > > he implied that suing for lost wages is standard
          > > when dealing with the Department of Labor. I assume
          > > he will ask for a percentage of the claim. I hate
          > > going to attorneys but the one I talked to didn't
          > > have a problem with giving me some free advice and
          > > even told me to call him back to let him know how
          > > things turned out.
          > >
          > > Andy Sterioff

        • sherri
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 27, 2007
            I was injured in 1994 at the PO.  Back, neck, L knee. I have had multiple surgeries on knee and back. My last surgery was going on 3 years ago. It was a total knee replacement. I was doing my PT from the pain Dr. I was doing aqua therapy. I felt my R knee pop and burn. I told the PT and he said to go home and ice it. It started swelling and hurting when bending it. I had the therapist look at it, and he did some kinda testing, he said it appeared by the test that I have probably torn a cartlidge in my knee. Now my question..Can having TKR on one knee make the other one a risk? Me having done this in PT for my back, is DOL responsible for this one also?
            Sherri

          • Kurt Corwin
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 28, 2007

              I was injured in service in India on a motorcycle in 1971. There were devastating injuries to my right leg, every segment, shortening it 2 7/8 “ and healing 23 degrees clockwise from the middle of my femur.  I was able to get around pretty well on my legs from about five or six years after the accident till about 10 years ago, (26 years post DOI) when the wear and tear on my lower back, left hip and left knee made a wheelchair necessary for me to get around. OWCP does pay for my wheelchairs and repairs as needed. Is that any help?

              Kurt

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 28, 2007
                it is some help.But the main question was, by me injuring my r leg in the pool while doing my physical therapy, will DOL also accept this, and pay for it to be fixed.
                Thanks

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 6, 2007
                  Sherri,

                  This is a tricky situation.

                  If the injury to your right leg can reasonably be linked to your knee
                  replacement or other surgical procedures, then I think you have a
                  good argument to put forth to OWCP. What does your physical
                  therapist say about the situation?

                  However, if the injury sustained during physical therapy resulted
                  from improper/inadequate instruction or supervision, then I think
                  your physical therapist may have some culpability.

                  If neither of the above apply, then your injury may be nothing more
                  than bad luck and I wouldn't expect anything from OWCP.

                  Hope this helps.

                  Kevin