Re: Getting on total disability

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 27, 2007
      Sheryl,

      I'm not familiar with the disability process because my accepted
      condition is not severe enough to disable me. In my case, OWCP is
      responsible only for paying for my medical care (doctor's visits,
      prescription drugs, etc.)--although the agency often tries to shirk
      its responsibility.

      However, I would assume that the first step for you would be to have
      your doctor assess and document your current level of disability. If
      he or she determines that you should not return to work because of
      your respiratory condition, then that information needs to be
      transmitted to OWCP in Seattle. What I don't know is what forms are
      required by OWCP in such a case, or how the process will proceed from
      there. [Help! Can anyone provide any insight? Has anyone in the
      group been through the process?]

      Kevin

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 27, 2007
        I'm on total disability. I didn't go from partial to
        total, though. I applied for compensation, since I
        couldn't work. They paid me twice in lump sums and then
        started paying me on a monthly basis, since it was clear
        that my status wasn't changing. I would start by having a
        doctor's statement that you aren't capable of working any
        longer and then contacting the OWCP (in a letter) and
        letting them know that due to a doctor's recommendation
        and your own inability you are no longer able to work
        because of your condition. See what they say. -- Felicia

      • Donald Weaks
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 27, 2007
          Make certain you have very clear, concise and
          understandable connection between the cause and effect
          of your disability as it applies to your work
          environment during your service and make certain that
          your doctor is in total agreement with your disability
          claim in his/her diagnosis. One thing I learned is
          OWCP and FECA doesn't like to deal with new evidence,
          clinical reports and documentation submitted after
          your initial filing. In fact, FECA does not allow
          additional evidence.

          HELP FIGHT HIV and AIDS in AFRICA. Visit our website at www.hthglobal.org and make a tax deductible contribution to: Hope Through Health, PO Box 605, Medway, MA 02053-0605

          Be a better pen pal.
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 27, 2007
            You might think about hiring a Federal Worker's Compensation attorney when cases are so severe and you don't understand the process or rules.  I'm not sure what they will ask in payment.  There are attorney's out there that specialize in Federal Worker's Compensation claims and can help you navigate the system.  I talked to one such lawyer who said he would help me appeal in the case that my claim is denied, he also advised suing for lost wages, something which I have never thought of, but he implied that suing for lost wages is standard when dealing with the Department of Labor.  I assume he will ask for a percentage of the claim.  I hate going to attorneys but the one I talked to didn't have a problem with giving me some free advice and even told me to call him back to let him know how things turned out.

            I'm not familiar with the disability process because my accepted
            condition is not severe enough to disable me. In my case, OWCP is
            responsible only for paying for my medical care (doctor's visits,
            prescription drugs, etc.)--although the agency often tries to shirk
            its responsibility.

            However, I would assume that the first step for you would be to have
            your doctor assess and document your current level of disability. If
            he or she determines that you should not return to work because of
            your respiratory condition, then that information needs to be
            transmitted to OWCP in Seattle. What I don't know is what forms are
            required by OWCP in such a case, or how the process will proceed from
            there. [Help! Can anyone provide any insight? Has anyone in the
            group been through the process?]

            Kevin

            --- In owcp@yahoogroups. com, "skmackie" <skmackie@.. .> wrote:

            > Some years ago I was put on worker's comp for a respiratory problem
            that I gained from
            > working in a federal building that was not ventilated properly and
            where there were a lot of
            > toxic fumes. Apparently it's cheaper to pay off the worker than
            redo the building.

            > They put me on partial disability as they determined that I was
            able to do office work. I'm
            > now 60-years-old and my lungs are always bothering me. My friends
            tell me I have the
            > energy of an invalid. I'm wondering if it's possible for me to now
            get total disability status
            > with an increase in payment.
            >
            > Also, last I checked there were no workers comp attorneys in my
            area which is eastern WA
            > state. This is nowhere near Seattle. Do I need an attorney and if
            so, where do I get one?

            > Thanks for your advice.
            >
            > Sheryl

          • Donald Weaks
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 27, 2007
              Andy's advice is excellent. I dealt with an attorney
              from the DC area to appeal an SSA decison, he told me
              finding an attorney who specializes in Labor
              Department claims is not easy. I got the same feedback
              from a guy evaluating my private disability coverage
              who was a former IG with the State Department. Good
              luck! Most of the disability claims attorneys will
              work on a contingency basis and charge a percentage of
              one year's benefits.

              Make Yahoo! your homepage.
              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            • skmackie
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 27, 2007
                Thanks for all the feedback. I have a medical review coming and have written to my
                caseworker telling him that I want a change of status to total. We'll see what happens.

                Sheryl

                --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, Donald Weaks <donaldweaks@...> wrote:

                > Andy's advice is excellent. I dealt with an attorney
                > from the DC area to appeal an SSA decison, he told me
                > finding an attorney who specializes in Labor
                > Department claims is not easy. I got the same feedback
                > from a guy evaluating my private disability coverage
                > who was a former IG with the State Department. Good
                > luck! Most of the disability claims attorneys will
                > work on a contingency basis and charge a percentage of
                > one year's benefits.
                > --- Andrew Sterioff <apsterioff@...> wrote:
                >
                > > You might think about hiring a Federal Worker's
                > > Compensation attorney when cases are so severe and
                > > you don't understand the process or rules. I'm not
                > > sure what they will ask in payment. There are
                > > attorney's out there that specialize in Federal
                > > Worker's Compensation claims and can help you
                > > navigate the system. I talked to one such lawyer
                > > who said he would help me appeal in the case that my
                > > claim is denied, he also advised suing for lost
                > > wages, something which I have never thought of, but
                > > he implied that suing for lost wages is standard
                > > when dealing with the Department of Labor. I assume
                > > he will ask for a percentage of the claim. I hate
                > > going to attorneys but the one I talked to didn't
                > > have a problem with giving me some free advice and
                > > even told me to call him back to let him know how
                > > things turned out.
                > >
                > > Andy Sterioff

              • sherri
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 27, 2007
                  I was injured in 1994 at the PO.  Back, neck, L knee. I have had multiple surgeries on knee and back. My last surgery was going on 3 years ago. It was a total knee replacement. I was doing my PT from the pain Dr. I was doing aqua therapy. I felt my R knee pop and burn. I told the PT and he said to go home and ice it. It started swelling and hurting when bending it. I had the therapist look at it, and he did some kinda testing, he said it appeared by the test that I have probably torn a cartlidge in my knee. Now my question..Can having TKR on one knee make the other one a risk? Me having done this in PT for my back, is DOL responsible for this one also?
                  Sherri

                • Kurt Corwin
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 28, 2007

                    I was injured in service in India on a motorcycle in 1971. There were devastating injuries to my right leg, every segment, shortening it 2 7/8 “ and healing 23 degrees clockwise from the middle of my femur.  I was able to get around pretty well on my legs from about five or six years after the accident till about 10 years ago, (26 years post DOI) when the wear and tear on my lower back, left hip and left knee made a wheelchair necessary for me to get around. OWCP does pay for my wheelchairs and repairs as needed. Is that any help?

                    Kurt

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 28, 2007
                      it is some help.But the main question was, by me injuring my r leg in the pool while doing my physical therapy, will DOL also accept this, and pay for it to be fixed.
                      Thanks

                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 6, 2007
                        Sherri,

                        This is a tricky situation.

                        If the injury to your right leg can reasonably be linked to your knee
                        replacement or other surgical procedures, then I think you have a
                        good argument to put forth to OWCP. What does your physical
                        therapist say about the situation?

                        However, if the injury sustained during physical therapy resulted
                        from improper/inadequate instruction or supervision, then I think
                        your physical therapist may have some culpability.

                        If neither of the above apply, then your injury may be nothing more
                        than bad luck and I wouldn't expect anything from OWCP.

                        Hope this helps.

                        Kevin