Re: disability retirement

  • soukien
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 31, 2004
      There is this website for federal work comp where a lawyer can answer
      your question:
      www.lawyers.com
      Scroll down to "worker compensation for federal employee".
      I don't know about postal worker. But for "homeland security", if an
      injured worker is out of work for six months, he is terminated.
      Hope this helps
      LearnItHardwayAloneInTheHandOfOWCP

      --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, sanjogta marwaha <sanjogtam@y...> wrote:
      > Hi, I am a postal worker and hurt on the job. I am disabled since
      july 2003. OWCP has assigned a nurse and she told my doctor that if
      this is a long term disability, I should go on disability
      retirement. My question is, is this the best option. Is that true
      if I donot go back to work in one year post office is not obligated
      to keep my job and I will be out of work. Any help will be
      appreciated. thanks.

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1 6:43 AM
        Nancy,

        I've also announced our group in employment law/federal employee
        websites, so it's no surprise (to me) that non-RPCVs are joining
        us. Many current and former federal employees are having the same
        difficulties with OWCP as we are. I think we can all learn from--
        and support--each other.

        Kevin

        --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, FourDirect@a... wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I saw your email on the listserv and unfortunately, this group is
        new and we
        > are returned Peace Corps volunteers dealing with issues regarding
        working to
        > help one another obtain medical benefits for Peace Corps-related
        > illnesses/injuries. I have never come across the issue you
        present. I am doubtful that any
        > of us can address this for you. Since we are mostly advertising in
        Peace Corps

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1 7:07 PM
          Kevin,

          Oh, it's great that you've announced this elsewhere. Pardon my ignorance and I am happy to share! This will be announced in the NY RPCV group on email next week.

          Nancy
        • pastrc
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 4 7:36 PM
            Hi gogo

            The nurse has no business saying that to your doctor!!!!!

            You cannot be forced to retire!!!!! That is your decision to make!
            Go to federalworkerscomp.net
            Read all you can & join the list if you want.

            If you are not able to recover enough to do your job after one year-
            it may be more-You Will NOT Be Out of Work!!!!! If you are partially
            disabled for work PO must make a "suitable job offer" within your
            medical restrictions. Make sure you know the requirements of
            a "suitable job offer," and read about "Return to Work" in the CA-
            810, EL-505, & ELM. If you are able to work some hours, OWCP must
            pay the remainder. The comp will pay either 66 2/3, or 75% of your
            salary if you have dependents.

            If you are totally disabled for work, comp pays.

            Laurie