Re: disability retirement

  • soukien
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 31, 2004
      There is this website for federal work comp where a lawyer can answer
      your question:
      www.lawyers.com
      Scroll down to "worker compensation for federal employee".
      I don't know about postal worker. But for "homeland security", if an
      injured worker is out of work for six months, he is terminated.
      Hope this helps
      LearnItHardwayAloneInTheHandOfOWCP

      --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, sanjogta marwaha <sanjogtam@y...> wrote:
      > Hi, I am a postal worker and hurt on the job. I am disabled since
      july 2003. OWCP has assigned a nurse and she told my doctor that if
      this is a long term disability, I should go on disability
      retirement. My question is, is this the best option. Is that true
      if I donot go back to work in one year post office is not obligated
      to keep my job and I will be out of work. Any help will be
      appreciated. thanks.

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2004

        I've also announced our group in employment law/federal employee
        websites, so it's no surprise (to me) that non-RPCVs are joining
        us. Many current and former federal employees are having the same
        difficulties with OWCP as we are. I think we can all learn from--
        and support--each other.

        Kevin

        --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, FourDirect@a... wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I saw your email on the listserv and unfortunately, this group is
        new and we
        > are returned Peace Corps volunteers dealing with issues regarding
        working to
        > help one another obtain medical benefits for Peace Corps-related
        > illnesses/injuries. I have never come across the issue you
        present. I am doubtful that any
        > of us can address this for you. Since we are mostly advertising in
        Peace Corps

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2004

          Oh, it's great that you've announced this elsewhere. Pardon my ignorance and I am happy to share! This will be announced in the NY RPCV group on email next week.

          Nancy
        • pastrc
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 4, 2004
            Hi gogo

            The nurse has no business saying that to your doctor!!!!!

            You cannot be forced to retire!!!!! That is your decision to make!
            Go to federalworkerscomp.net
            Read all you can & join the list if you want.

            If you are not able to recover enough to do your job after one year-
            it may be more-You Will NOT Be Out of Work!!!!! If you are partially
            disabled for work PO must make a "suitable job offer" within your
            medical restrictions. Make sure you know the requirements of
            a "suitable job offer," and read about "Return to Work" in the CA-
            810, EL-505, & ELM. If you are able to work some hours, OWCP must
            pay the remainder. The comp will pay either 66 2/3, or 75% of your
            salary if you have dependents.

            If you are totally disabled for work, comp pays.

            Laurie