Getting on total

  • skmackie
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 25, 2007
      Some years ago I was put on worker's comp for a respiratory problem that I gained from
      working in a federal building that was not ventilated properly and where there were a lot of
      toxic fumes. Apparently it's cheaper to pay off the worker than redo the building.

      They put me on partial disability as they determined that I was able to do office work. I'm
      now 60-years-old and my lungs are always bothering me. My friends tell me I have the
      energy of an invalid. I'm wondering if it's possible for me to now get total disability status
      with an increase in payment.

      Also, last I checked there were no workers comp attorneys in my area which is eastern WA
      state. This is nowhere near Seattle. Do I need an attorney and if so, where do I get one?

      Thanks for your advice.

      Sheryl
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 27, 2007
        Sheryl,

        I'm not familiar with the disability process because my accepted
        condition is not severe enough to disable me. In my case, OWCP is
        responsible only for paying for my medical care (doctor's visits,
        prescription drugs, etc.)--although the agency often tries to shirk
        its responsibility.

        However, I would assume that the first step for you would be to have
        your doctor assess and document your current level of disability. If
        he or she determines that you should not return to work because of
        your respiratory condition, then that information needs to be
        transmitted to OWCP in Seattle. What I don't know is what forms are
        required by OWCP in such a case, or how the process will proceed from
        there. [Help! Can anyone provide any insight? Has anyone in the
        group been through the process?]

        Kevin

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 27, 2007
          I'm on total disability. I didn't go from partial to
          total, though. I applied for compensation, since I
          couldn't work. They paid me twice in lump sums and then
          started paying me on a monthly basis, since it was clear
          that my status wasn't changing. I would start by having a
          doctor's statement that you aren't capable of working any
          longer and then contacting the OWCP (in a letter) and
          letting them know that due to a doctor's recommendation
          and your own inability you are no longer able to work
          because of your condition. See what they say. -- Felicia

        • Donald Weaks
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 27, 2007
            Make certain you have very clear, concise and
            understandable connection between the cause and effect
            of your disability as it applies to your work
            environment during your service and make certain that
            your doctor is in total agreement with your disability
            claim in his/her diagnosis. One thing I learned is
            OWCP and FECA doesn't like to deal with new evidence,
            clinical reports and documentation submitted after
            your initial filing. In fact, FECA does not allow
            additional evidence.

            HELP FIGHT HIV and AIDS in AFRICA. Visit our website at www.hthglobal.org and make a tax deductible contribution to: Hope Through Health, PO Box 605, Medway, MA 02053-0605

            Be a better pen pal.
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 27, 2007
              You might think about hiring a Federal Worker's Compensation attorney when cases are so severe and you don't understand the process or rules.  I'm not sure what they will ask in payment.  There are attorney's out there that specialize in Federal Worker's Compensation claims and can help you navigate the system.  I talked to one such lawyer who said he would help me appeal in the case that my claim is denied, he also advised suing for lost wages, something which I have never thought of, but he implied that suing for lost wages is standard when dealing with the Department of Labor.  I assume he will ask for a percentage of the claim.  I hate going to attorneys but the one I talked to didn't have a problem with giving me some free advice and even told me to call him back to let him know how things turned out.

              I'm not familiar with the disability process because my accepted
              condition is not severe enough to disable me. In my case, OWCP is
              responsible only for paying for my medical care (doctor's visits,
              prescription drugs, etc.)--although the agency often tries to shirk
              its responsibility.

              However, I would assume that the first step for you would be to have
              your doctor assess and document your current level of disability. If
              he or she determines that you should not return to work because of
              your respiratory condition, then that information needs to be
              transmitted to OWCP in Seattle. What I don't know is what forms are
              required by OWCP in such a case, or how the process will proceed from
              there. [Help! Can anyone provide any insight? Has anyone in the
              group been through the process?]

              Kevin

              --- In owcp@yahoogroups. com, "skmackie" <skmackie@.. .> wrote:

              > Some years ago I was put on worker's comp for a respiratory problem
              that I gained from
              > working in a federal building that was not ventilated properly and
              where there were a lot of
              > toxic fumes. Apparently it's cheaper to pay off the worker than
              redo the building.

              > They put me on partial disability as they determined that I was
              able to do office work. I'm
              > now 60-years-old and my lungs are always bothering me. My friends
              tell me I have the
              > energy of an invalid. I'm wondering if it's possible for me to now
              get total disability status
              > with an increase in payment.
              >
              > Also, last I checked there were no workers comp attorneys in my
              area which is eastern WA
              > state. This is nowhere near Seattle. Do I need an attorney and if
              so, where do I get one?

              > Thanks for your advice.
              >
              > Sheryl

            • Donald Weaks
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 27, 2007
                Andy's advice is excellent. I dealt with an attorney
                from the DC area to appeal an SSA decison, he told me
                finding an attorney who specializes in Labor
                Department claims is not easy. I got the same feedback
                from a guy evaluating my private disability coverage
                who was a former IG with the State Department. Good
                luck! Most of the disability claims attorneys will
                work on a contingency basis and charge a percentage of
                one year's benefits.

                Make Yahoo! your homepage.
                http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
              • skmackie
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 27, 2007
                  Thanks for all the feedback. I have a medical review coming and have written to my
                  caseworker telling him that I want a change of status to total. We'll see what happens.

                  Sheryl

                  --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, Donald Weaks <donaldweaks@...> wrote:

                  > Andy's advice is excellent. I dealt with an attorney
                  > from the DC area to appeal an SSA decison, he told me
                  > finding an attorney who specializes in Labor
                  > Department claims is not easy. I got the same feedback
                  > from a guy evaluating my private disability coverage
                  > who was a former IG with the State Department. Good
                  > luck! Most of the disability claims attorneys will
                  > work on a contingency basis and charge a percentage of
                  > one year's benefits.
                  > --- Andrew Sterioff <apsterioff@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > You might think about hiring a Federal Worker's
                  > > Compensation attorney when cases are so severe and
                  > > you don't understand the process or rules. I'm not
                  > > sure what they will ask in payment. There are
                  > > attorney's out there that specialize in Federal
                  > > Worker's Compensation claims and can help you
                  > > navigate the system. I talked to one such lawyer
                  > > who said he would help me appeal in the case that my
                  > > claim is denied, he also advised suing for lost
                  > > wages, something which I have never thought of, but
                  > > he implied that suing for lost wages is standard
                  > > when dealing with the Department of Labor. I assume
                  > > he will ask for a percentage of the claim. I hate
                  > > going to attorneys but the one I talked to didn't
                  > > have a problem with giving me some free advice and
                  > > even told me to call him back to let him know how
                  > > things turned out.
                  > >
                  > > Andy Sterioff

                • sherri
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 27, 2007
                    I was injured in 1994 at the PO.  Back, neck, L knee. I have had multiple surgeries on knee and back. My last surgery was going on 3 years ago. It was a total knee replacement. I was doing my PT from the pain Dr. I was doing aqua therapy. I felt my R knee pop and burn. I told the PT and he said to go home and ice it. It started swelling and hurting when bending it. I had the therapist look at it, and he did some kinda testing, he said it appeared by the test that I have probably torn a cartlidge in my knee. Now my question..Can having TKR on one knee make the other one a risk? Me having done this in PT for my back, is DOL responsible for this one also?
                    Sherri

                  • Kurt Corwin
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 28, 2007

                      I was injured in service in India on a motorcycle in 1971. There were devastating injuries to my right leg, every segment, shortening it 2 7/8 “ and healing 23 degrees clockwise from the middle of my femur.  I was able to get around pretty well on my legs from about five or six years after the accident till about 10 years ago, (26 years post DOI) when the wear and tear on my lower back, left hip and left knee made a wheelchair necessary for me to get around. OWCP does pay for my wheelchairs and repairs as needed. Is that any help?

                      Kurt

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 28, 2007
                        it is some help.But the main question was, by me injuring my r leg in the pool while doing my physical therapy, will DOL also accept this, and pay for it to be fixed.
                        Thanks

                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 6, 2007
                          Sherri,

                          This is a tricky situation.

                          If the injury to your right leg can reasonably be linked to your knee
                          replacement or other surgical procedures, then I think you have a
                          good argument to put forth to OWCP. What does your physical
                          therapist say about the situation?

                          However, if the injury sustained during physical therapy resulted
                          from improper/inadequate instruction or supervision, then I think
                          your physical therapist may have some culpability.

                          If neither of the above apply, then your injury may be nothing more
                          than bad luck and I wouldn't expect anything from OWCP.

                          Hope this helps.

                          Kevin