Re: [owcp] disability retirement

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 31, 2004
      Hi,

      I saw your email on the listserv and unfortunately, this group is new and we are returned Peace Corps volunteers dealing with issues regarding working to help one another obtain medical benefits for Peace Corps-related illnesses/injuries. I have never come across the issue you present. I am doubtful that any of us can address this for you. Since we are mostly advertising in Peace Corps groups, I'm wondering you came across us? Maybe someone out there has an idea or maybe your congressional representative can help answer your question. Have you considered that route?

      Nancy

      Subj:[owcp] disability retirement
      Date:3/31/2004 10:44:23 PM Eastern Standard Time
      From:sanjogtam@...
      Reply-to:owcp@yahoogroups.com
      To:owcp@yahoogroups.com

      Hi, I am a postal worker and hurt on the job.  I am disabled since july 2003.  OWCP has assigned a nurse and she told my doctor that if this is a long term disability, I should go on disability retirement.   My question is, is this  the best option.  Is that true if I donot go back to work in one year post office is not obligated to keep my job and I will be out of work.  Any help will be appreciated. thanks.
      gogo

    • soukien
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 31, 2004
        There is this website for federal work comp where a lawyer can answer
        your question:
        www.lawyers.com
        Scroll down to "worker compensation for federal employee".
        I don't know about postal worker. But for "homeland security", if an
        injured worker is out of work for six months, he is terminated.
        Hope this helps
        LearnItHardwayAloneInTheHandOfOWCP

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1 6:43 AM

          I've also announced our group in employment law/federal employee
          websites, so it's no surprise (to me) that non-RPCVs are joining
          us. Many current and former federal employees are having the same
          difficulties with OWCP as we are. I think we can all learn from--
          and support--each other.

          Kevin

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1 7:07 PM

            Oh, it's great that you've announced this elsewhere. Pardon my ignorance and I am happy to share! This will be announced in the NY RPCV group on email next week.

            Nancy
          • pastrc
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 4 7:36 PM
              Hi gogo

              The nurse has no business saying that to your doctor!!!!!

              You cannot be forced to retire!!!!! That is your decision to make!
              Go to federalworkerscomp.net
              Read all you can & join the list if you want.

              If you are not able to recover enough to do your job after one year-
              it may be more-You Will NOT Be Out of Work!!!!! If you are partially
              disabled for work PO must make a "suitable job offer" within your
              medical restrictions. Make sure you know the requirements of
              a "suitable job offer," and read about "Return to Work" in the CA-
              810, EL-505, & ELM. If you are able to work some hours, OWCP must
              pay the remainder. The comp will pay either 66 2/3, or 75% of your
              salary if you have dependents.

              If you are totally disabled for work, comp pays.

              Laurie