Re: [owcp] OWCP problems

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 16, 2007
      Generally, one has the best luck writing letters rather
      than calling. Put each problem you need addressed in a
      new paragraph. Be polite. Keep copies of all
      correspondence. If there is something, like a previous
      letter or bill that you are referring to, copy it and
      highlight the section you are talking about in yellow
      highlighter. Keep your letter as short and to the point
      as possible. Very often, my bills don't get paid because
      the codes are wrong. I usually explain in my letter how
      the procedure that was billed for relates to my condition
      and ask why it wasn't paid. Also, I never pay for
      anything in advance if I don't have to. I get nasty
      bills, but just copy them, add some highlighter and then
      send a letter to OWCP asking why they weren't paid.

      Good luck! -- Felicia

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 16, 2007
        Kate,

        I tend to agree with Felicia. Letters often work better than phone
        calls, and they provide a paper trail that might come in handy in the
        future.

        If you haven't already done so, you might want to contact your
        Congressman or one of your Senators. To get things rolling, call the
        local office and ask to talk with a caseworker who deals with OWCP.

        Kevin

        P.S. I would suggest that you cc all correspondence to the Post
        Service Unit and ask them to advocate on your behalf. They talk the
        talk ("We care about our RPCVs"), but they don't like to walk the
        walk. They may need some prodding, from you and your Senator, but
        you can get them to act if you're persistent. Please see message
        536, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/owcp/message/536 .

      • RPCVLAJarvis@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 17, 2007
          Also, make sure you keep going to the doctor.  PC likes to pull the "you were fine and didn't see anyone for a week, if it was that bad then you would have seen someone."  I heard that so many times.  Cause then they turn to, "you were fine for that week, so this illness must have happened in the states and that is not our issue, you are on your own."  Please, please keep seeing someone and have doctors document everything!  It is your only way out.  I ended up keeping a 2 inch binder of everthing!  I can't tell you how helpful this was for me.  Also ASAP get your PCMO's records.  It is really interesting reading those, half my stuff was never documented, but there was enough there to help my case.  It is a really long road, but it does end.  You just have to be strong and plow through it.  I broke a huge glass window one day after fighting with PC for hours and hours on the phone.  At the end of the phone call I threw the phone and it went through the window to the street.  Yes, it will be frustrating, but you are more important than any of this.  Take care of yourself and do all you can for you.

          Best of luck!
          --Lauralee

          ps where in CT, I might be able to help.  I have family in the medical profession there, plus it is where I ended up after PC...I was too sick to live on my own and stayed with my mom for months before I could return home to LA.

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 17, 2007
            Also, be sure to document every discussion that you have with Peace
            Corps. Based on some recent contact that I've had with OMS, I'm
            convinced that they are sloppy, misinformed and, in the case of one
            nurse case manager, dishonest!

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 17, 2007
              In a message dated 11/17/2007 5:42:47 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, owcp2004@... writes:
              Also, be sure to document every discussion that you have with Peace
              Corps. Based on some recent contact that I've had with OMS, I'm
              convinced that they are sloppy, misinformed and, in the case of one
              nurse case manager, dishonest!
              Yes, This is really important! Keep ledgers of everything said.