Re: Senator Klobuchar: Follow Up

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 13, 2007
      Hi Andy,

      I'm afraid that statistics are going to be difficult to come by. The
      Peace Corps Office of Medical Services, the OIGs of Peace Corps and
      Labor, and OWCP may all have relevant data, but located these data
      and getting the agencies to part with them would be a major
      undertaking. Since some of the statitics would be unflattering,
      Peace Corps and OWCP would have a variety of reasons, including
      political ones, to keep the statistics out of the public eye.

      I'm not sure that the length of time that a claim has been open
      necessarily means much. (The length of time that a claim has been
      open and receiving inadequate attention is another matter!) I'd like
      to see statistics such as: 1. Average length of time that it takes
      to process a bill; 2. Accuracy in processing bills; 3. Average length
      of time that it takes to authorize or reauthorize medical procedures;
      4. Percentage of telephone calls and letters that are responded to in
      the promised amount of time ... I could go on and on.

      The lack of good data points to the need for a GAO study like the one
      we asked Senator Gregg (and other Members of Congress) to pursue.

      Kevin

      --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Sterioff <apsterioff@...> wrote:

      > I thought we might be able to tell them the lengths of time some of
      these claims have been open. I think that would show how slow the
      process is, but it sounds like those statistics are unavailable. In
      any case, I gave Greg in Senator Klobuchar's office our group web
      address so he can see what we are talking about. He said he would
      take a look and would let the Senator know of our issue. He also
      said that as long as the Department of Labor was helping, then that
      was quicker than trying to get a meeting with the Senator who might
      or might not be able to immediately help. He said his line was
      always open to me if I didn't get far with the Department of Labor
      and my current Worker's Compensation claim.