Re: [owcp] Important: PLEASE READ (and Respond, if possible)

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 12, 2007
      My problem has been mainly that no one at the Department
      of Labor has ever even heard of Lariam and typically they
      aren't used to dealing with complicated psychological
      problems. Often, they will refuse to pay one doctor or
      another because they can't see how a panic disorder
      relates to eye problems (although they are both related to
      the brain damage that Lariam causes) or something like
      that. While the Peace Corps doesn't like to deal with
      Lariam, at least they have heard of it. I can't see how
      to document this problem, though. -- Felicia

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 13, 2007
        Hi Andy,

        This appeal for information has little to do with my personal case.
        Rather, I'm trying to respond to Senator Dodd's request for
        documentation from all of us that demonstrates how unresponsive Peace
        Corps (and OWCP) is to our needs.

        I'll expand on this in my upcoming reply to Felicia.

        Kevin

        --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Sterioff <apsterioff@...> wrote:

        > Kevin,
        >
        > Have you tried the Inspector General of the Department of Labor.
        Their e-mail address is: hotline@... and their phone number is: 1-
        800-347-3756. I had limited success in getting my claim expidited.

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 13, 2007
          Hi Felicia,

          There are a number of ways to document our issues. The one that is
          preferred by Senator Dodd's office is a paper trail; i.e., letters from
          Peace Corps (and/or OWCP) that demonstrate the agency's unwillingness
          or inability to help us. If letters are unavailable, or fail to show
          the whole picture, then written accounts of our experiences would be
          helpful. This anecdotal approach is best if it is detailed, on point,
          and supported by contemporaneous documents (e.g., notes taken while
          talking to OMS, claims examiners, etc.).

          The bottom line: Provide what you can. Even if it is limited, it is
          vastly better than nothing at all.

          What you've written below is helpful, and I will forward it to Josh in
          Senator Dodd's office. If you could elaborate on "Peace Corps doesn't
          like to deal with [the Lariam issue]," that would be wonderful. For
          example: Who did you speak with at Peace Corps? When? What did they
          say? Did they help you in any way? Were they willing to advocate for
          you when you were dealing with OWCP? (And anything else that you think
          is relevant.)

          Thank you.

          Kevin