Re: [owcp] Re: Senator Klobuchar: Follow Up

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 12, 2007
      I thought we might be able to tell them the lengths of time some of these claims have been open. I think that would show how slow the process is, but it sounds like those statistics are unavailable.  In any case, I gave Greg in Senator Klobuchar's office our group web address so he can see what we are talking about.  He said he would take a look and would let the Senator know of our issue.  He also said that as long as the Department of Labor was helping, then that was quicker than trying to get a meeting with the Senator who might or might not be able to immediately help.  He said his line was always open to me if I didn't get far with the Department of Labor and my current Worker's Compensation claim.

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 13, 2007
        Hi Andy,

        I'm afraid that statistics are going to be difficult to come by. The
        Peace Corps Office of Medical Services, the OIGs of Peace Corps and
        Labor, and OWCP may all have relevant data, but located these data
        and getting the agencies to part with them would be a major
        undertaking. Since some of the statitics would be unflattering,
        Peace Corps and OWCP would have a variety of reasons, including
        political ones, to keep the statistics out of the public eye.

        I'm not sure that the length of time that a claim has been open
        necessarily means much. (The length of time that a claim has been
        open and receiving inadequate attention is another matter!) I'd like
        to see statistics such as: 1. Average length of time that it takes
        to process a bill; 2. Accuracy in processing bills; 3. Average length
        of time that it takes to authorize or reauthorize medical procedures;
        4. Percentage of telephone calls and letters that are responded to in
        the promised amount of time ... I could go on and on.

        The lack of good data points to the need for a GAO study like the one
        we asked Senator Gregg (and other Members of Congress) to pursue.