Important: PLEASE READ (and Respond, if possible)

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 12, 2007

      I spoke with Josh Blumenfeld and two of his colleagues (all from Senator Dodd's office) on November 7.  They are going to make some inquiries on our behalf, starting with the offices of Senator Gregg and the Peace Corps Inspector General.

      What I need from YOU are copies of letters that you have received from Peace Corps or OWCP that demonstrate just how unhelpful those agencies are.  For example, I'm going to submit to Senator Dodd's office a recent letter from Michelle K. Brooks, the Director of Peace Corps' Office of Congressional Relations, in which she states:

      " ... Given that Mr. Clark's claim is an accepted claim, the Peace Corps cannot provide any further assistance.  At this point in the process, we can only recommend that he follow up directly with DOL."

      This is precisely the type of brush-off that members of our group have gotten from Peace Corps over and over again.  (I realize that I'm preaching to the choir!)

      I am aware that you may possess letters that contain personal information that you don't want to release.  If that's the case, please consider whether you could black out the personal information and leave the tone of the letter intact.

      Many thanks.  We need to act--and act now.

      Kevin
      owcp2004@...

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 12, 2007

        Have you tried the Inspector General of the Department of Labor.  Their e-mail address is:  hotline@... and their phone number is: 1-800-347-3756.  I had limited success in getting my claim expidited.

        owcp2004@yahoo. com

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 12, 2007
          My problem has been mainly that no one at the Department
          of Labor has ever even heard of Lariam and typically they
          aren't used to dealing with complicated psychological
          problems. Often, they will refuse to pay one doctor or
          another because they can't see how a panic disorder
          relates to eye problems (although they are both related to
          the brain damage that Lariam causes) or something like
          that. While the Peace Corps doesn't like to deal with
          Lariam, at least they have heard of it. I can't see how
          to document this problem, though. -- Felicia

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 13, 2007
            Hi Andy,

            This appeal for information has little to do with my personal case.
            Rather, I'm trying to respond to Senator Dodd's request for
            documentation from all of us that demonstrates how unresponsive Peace
            Corps (and OWCP) is to our needs.

            I'll expand on this in my upcoming reply to Felicia.

            Kevin

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 13, 2007
              Hi Felicia,

              There are a number of ways to document our issues. The one that is
              preferred by Senator Dodd's office is a paper trail; i.e., letters from
              Peace Corps (and/or OWCP) that demonstrate the agency's unwillingness
              or inability to help us. If letters are unavailable, or fail to show
              the whole picture, then written accounts of our experiences would be
              helpful. This anecdotal approach is best if it is detailed, on point,
              and supported by contemporaneous documents (e.g., notes taken while
              talking to OMS, claims examiners, etc.).

              The bottom line: Provide what you can. Even if it is limited, it is
              vastly better than nothing at all.

              What you've written below is helpful, and I will forward it to Josh in
              Senator Dodd's office. If you could elaborate on "Peace Corps doesn't
              like to deal with [the Lariam issue]," that would be wonderful. For
              example: Who did you speak with at Peace Corps? When? What did they
              say? Did they help you in any way? Were they willing to advocate for
              you when you were dealing with OWCP? (And anything else that you think
              is relevant.)

              Thank you.

              Kevin