Re: [owcp] Re: Senator Dodd: Follow Up

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 9, 2007
      The staff of Senator Klobuchar, Greg and his assistant Sophia, who gave me his direct line to Senator Klobuchar's office are going to bring the RPCV OWCP issue up with Senator Klobuchar and see if she will meet with me.  I will let you know more when Greg calls me back later today.  If I get a meeting with the Senator I am going to need some statistics and documentation from our group.  Right now I have a number of 1300 who are registered, but that is just the tip of the iceberg according to a previous e-mail.  I will let you know more once Greg and Sophia call back later today.

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 12, 2007
        Andy,

        1300 is the approximate number of open FECA claims that Peace Corps had
        as of March 2007. OIG reported that statistic to Congress, so I
        suspect it's a very good estimate.

        Do you know what statistics you are looking for? If so, please send me
        an email and I'll try to point you in the right direction.

        Kevin

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 12, 2007
          I thought we might be able to tell them the lengths of time some of these claims have been open. I think that would show how slow the process is, but it sounds like those statistics are unavailable.  In any case, I gave Greg in Senator Klobuchar's office our group web address so he can see what we are talking about.  He said he would take a look and would let the Senator know of our issue.  He also said that as long as the Department of Labor was helping, then that was quicker than trying to get a meeting with the Senator who might or might not be able to immediately help.  He said his line was always open to me if I didn't get far with the Department of Labor and my current Worker's Compensation claim.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 13, 2007
            Hi Andy,

            I'm afraid that statistics are going to be difficult to come by. The
            Peace Corps Office of Medical Services, the OIGs of Peace Corps and
            Labor, and OWCP may all have relevant data, but located these data
            and getting the agencies to part with them would be a major
            undertaking. Since some of the statitics would be unflattering,
            Peace Corps and OWCP would have a variety of reasons, including
            political ones, to keep the statistics out of the public eye.

            I'm not sure that the length of time that a claim has been open
            necessarily means much. (The length of time that a claim has been
            open and receiving inadequate attention is another matter!) I'd like
            to see statistics such as: 1. Average length of time that it takes
            to process a bill; 2. Accuracy in processing bills; 3. Average length
            of time that it takes to authorize or reauthorize medical procedures;
            4. Percentage of telephone calls and letters that are responded to in
            the promised amount of time ... I could go on and on.

            The lack of good data points to the need for a GAO study like the one
            we asked Senator Gregg (and other Members of Congress) to pursue.