More Stats (was Re: Update [from Minnesota] )

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 5, 2007
      "The Peace Corps has approximately 1,300 open FECA claims and
      estimates that it spends approximately $11,000,000 in FECA claims for
      former Volunteers and staff who were injured or became ill on the
      job."

      Source: "Semiannual Report to Congress, October 1, 2006 - March 31,
      2007," Peace Corps Office of Inspector General. This report is
      available in our Files section.

      This statistic is useful but limited. For example: it doesn't tell
      us how many of the 1300 individuals are satisfied (or dissatisfied)
      with the service they receive from OWCP; nor does it tell us anything
      about the closed claims; nor does this "snapshot" provide any
      historical perspective.

      --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin" <owcp2004@...> wrote:

      > Hi Andy,
      >
      > There are currently 82 people in our group. There are more people
      > who follow our group (and many of them are RPCVs with OWCP issues),
      > but we have no way of counting them since anyone can access our
      > message archive. Clearly we are the tip of the iceberg; there have
      > to be hundreds, if not thousands, of us who have been mistreated by
      > OWCP.
      >
      > Re. the number of RPCVs who have OWCP claims: This should be a
      > matter of public record. The question is how to find it. Greg in
      > Amy Klobuchar's office may be able to obtain this statistic from
      the
      > Peace Corps or Dept. of Labor Congressional Liaisons. You may be
      > able to get it from the Post Service Unit of Peace Corps or the
      Peace

      dkotz@...

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 5, 2007
        The GAO report to which Nancy refers is also available in our Files
        section. You might find some useful information there; however it
        focuses on the Peace Corps Office of Medical Services rather than
        OWCP. For example, one finding of the report is that assistance by
        Peace Corps in filing FECA claims had its share of deficiencies.

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 5, 2007
          This probably means that I should get off my butt and
          contact the Oregon congresspeople too. I know this has
          been asked before, but where can I find a copy of the
          letters that have been sent. I'm not hugely interested in
          writing one from scratch. Did you contact Representatives
          and Senators or just Senators? -- Felicia

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 5, 2007
            Hi Felicia,

            I will send you by email a copy of a letter that one of our members
            sent to her Senator. If you like the letter, it'll take you a couple
            minutes to tailor the letter for your use.

            If you would like to contact both of your Senators and your
            Congressperson, that would be great. Whether you choose to contact
            one or two or all three of them is entirely up to you.

            Thanks.

            Kevin