Re: Update [from Minnesota]

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 5, 2007
      Hi Andy,

      There are currently 82 people in our group. There are more people
      who follow our group (and many of them are RPCVs with OWCP issues),
      but we have no way of counting them since anyone can access our
      message archive. Clearly we are the tip of the iceberg; there have
      to be hundreds, if not thousands, of us who have been mistreated by
      OWCP.

      Re. the number of RPCVs who have OWCP claims: This should be a
      matter of public record. The question is how to find it. Greg in
      Amy Klobuchar's office may be able to obtain this statistic from the
      Peace Corps or Dept. of Labor Congressional Liaisons. You may be
      able to get it from the Post Service Unit of Peace Corps or the Peace
      Corps Office of the Inspector General. I may be able to find it in
      some of the IG's preliminary reports; I'll poke around a bit later
      today.

      Kevin

      P.S. Contacts ...

      OIG/Peace Corps: 800-424-8580, ext. 2916; email: dkotz@...
      or oig@...

      Post Service Unit/OMS/Peace Corps: 800-424-8580, ext. 1540(menu item
      7); fax: 202-692-1541; email: ldonnelly@... or
      ssaxman@...

      --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Sterioff <apsterioff@...> wrote:

      > Kevin,
      >
      > I need some statistics to talk about with Greg in Senator
      Klobuchar's (D-Minnesota) office. He didn't ask me, but if I can
      tell him how many people are in our group and how many RPCV's have
      OWCP issues we will have a better chance of this being brought up
      with the senator.

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 5, 2007
        "The Peace Corps has approximately 1,300 open FECA claims and
        estimates that it spends approximately $11,000,000 in FECA claims for
        former Volunteers and staff who were injured or became ill on the
        job."

        Source: "Semiannual Report to Congress, October 1, 2006 - March 31,
        2007," Peace Corps Office of Inspector General. This report is
        available in our Files section.

        This statistic is useful but limited. For example: it doesn't tell
        us how many of the 1300 individuals are satisfied (or dissatisfied)
        with the service they receive from OWCP; nor does it tell us anything
        about the closed claims; nor does this "snapshot" provide any
        historical perspective.

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 5, 2007
          The GAO report to which Nancy refers is also available in our Files
          section. You might find some useful information there; however it
          focuses on the Peace Corps Office of Medical Services rather than
          OWCP. For example, one finding of the report is that assistance by
          Peace Corps in filing FECA claims had its share of deficiencies.

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 5, 2007
            This probably means that I should get off my butt and
            contact the Oregon congresspeople too. I know this has
            been asked before, but where can I find a copy of the
            letters that have been sent. I'm not hugely interested in
            writing one from scratch. Did you contact Representatives
            and Senators or just Senators? -- Felicia

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 5, 2007
              Hi Felicia,

              I will send you by email a copy of a letter that one of our members
              sent to her Senator. If you like the letter, it'll take you a couple
              minutes to tailor the letter for your use.

              If you would like to contact both of your Senators and your
              Congressperson, that would be great. Whether you choose to contact
              one or two or all three of them is entirely up to you.

              Thanks.

              Kevin