Re: [owcp] Re: Update [from Minnesota]

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 4, 2007
      Kevin,

      I need some statistics to talk about with Greg in Senator Klobuchar's (D-Minnesota) office.  He didn't ask me, but if I can tell him how many people are in our group and how many RPCV's have OWCP issues we will have a better chance of this being brought up with the senator.

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 4, 2007
        I'm really sick at the moment or I'd look into this, myself, but the old GAO investigation by Senator Inouye back in the 1990's had a lot of statistics and was quite incriminating of the treatment we all have received, at least as of that date.

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 5, 2007
          Hi Andy,

          There are currently 82 people in our group. There are more people
          who follow our group (and many of them are RPCVs with OWCP issues),
          but we have no way of counting them since anyone can access our
          message archive. Clearly we are the tip of the iceberg; there have
          to be hundreds, if not thousands, of us who have been mistreated by
          OWCP.

          Re. the number of RPCVs who have OWCP claims: This should be a
          matter of public record. The question is how to find it. Greg in
          Amy Klobuchar's office may be able to obtain this statistic from the
          Peace Corps or Dept. of Labor Congressional Liaisons. You may be
          able to get it from the Post Service Unit of Peace Corps or the Peace
          Corps Office of the Inspector General. I may be able to find it in
          some of the IG's preliminary reports; I'll poke around a bit later
          today.

          Kevin

          P.S. Contacts ...

          OIG/Peace Corps: 800-424-8580, ext. 2916; email: dkotz@...
          or oig@...

          Post Service Unit/OMS/Peace Corps: 800-424-8580, ext. 1540(menu item
          7); fax: 202-692-1541; email: ldonnelly@... or
          ssaxman@...

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 5, 2007
            "The Peace Corps has approximately 1,300 open FECA claims and
            estimates that it spends approximately $11,000,000 in FECA claims for
            former Volunteers and staff who were injured or became ill on the
            job."

            Source: "Semiannual Report to Congress, October 1, 2006 - March 31,
            2007," Peace Corps Office of Inspector General. This report is
            available in our Files section.

            This statistic is useful but limited. For example: it doesn't tell
            us how many of the 1300 individuals are satisfied (or dissatisfied)
            with the service they receive from OWCP; nor does it tell us anything
            about the closed claims; nor does this "snapshot" provide any
            historical perspective.

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 5, 2007
              The GAO report to which Nancy refers is also available in our Files
              section. You might find some useful information there; however it
              focuses on the Peace Corps Office of Medical Services rather than
              OWCP. For example, one finding of the report is that assistance by
              Peace Corps in filing FECA claims had its share of deficiencies.

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 5, 2007
                This probably means that I should get off my butt and
                contact the Oregon congresspeople too. I know this has
                been asked before, but where can I find a copy of the
                letters that have been sent. I'm not hugely interested in
                writing one from scratch. Did you contact Representatives
                and Senators or just Senators? -- Felicia

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 5, 2007
                  Hi Felicia,

                  I will send you by email a copy of a letter that one of our members
                  sent to her Senator. If you like the letter, it'll take you a couple
                  minutes to tailor the letter for your use.

                  If you would like to contact both of your Senators and your
                  Congressperson, that would be great. Whether you choose to contact
                  one or two or all three of them is entirely up to you.

                  Thanks.

                  Kevin