Re: Update [from Oregon]

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 4, 2007
      Sue,

      Thanks for the update. I understand your frustration. I am also
      frustrated, and somewhat puzzled, by the lack of response that we've
      gotten from most of the Senators and Representatives we've
      contacted. Why are they so reluctant to take on the Executive
      Branch? Is it a Bush administration thing, or are RPCVs such lowly
      beings that we don't even make a blip on the radar?

      I'm not familiar with the Oregon Congressional delegation, but I'm
      surprised that a couple of Senators (i.e., Patrick Leahy and Charles
      Schumer) have failed to respond. In Senator Leahy's case, eight of
      the signatories to the Gregg letter were from Vermont!

      I'm tempted to erect a cyber Hall of Shame for a number of our
      elected officials. Not that it would do anything but give me a
      moment of satisfaction.

      Kevin

      --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, susan murray <bunstg@...> wrote:

      > Kevin,
      >
      > Since I had not received any reply from Oregon Senators Wyden (D)
      or Smith (R) or Congresswoman Hooley (D) to my letter of 9/4 I
      contacted each of their offices on 10/29. Wyden's aide said that she
      would "check into it" and call me back. So far no call. Hooley's
      aide said that they had no record of receiving my letter so I faxed a
      copy of the PC letter and my cover on 10/29. Smith's aide said that
      she would call DC and check on my letter. I received a letter today
      from Smith saying that he "appreciated the input and he would keep my
      thoughts in mind should these matters be brought before the Congress
      for consideration." So much for that.

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 4, 2007
        I found a contact in Senator Klobuchar's office by submitting a written request to her office who gave me his direct phone number and I am working with him on my specific issue and the larger OWCP issue at once.  I'll call him next Wednesday or Thursday and let you know what I find out.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 4, 2007
          Thanks for the update, Andy. I look forward to hearing more about this
          in the coming week.

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 4, 2007
            Kevin,

            I need some statistics to talk about with Greg in Senator Klobuchar's (D-Minnesota) office.  He didn't ask me, but if I can tell him how many people are in our group and how many RPCV's have OWCP issues we will have a better chance of this being brought up with the senator.

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 4, 2007
              I'm really sick at the moment or I'd look into this, myself, but the old GAO investigation by Senator Inouye back in the 1990's had a lot of statistics and was quite incriminating of the treatment we all have received, at least as of that date.

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 5, 2007
                Hi Andy,

                There are currently 82 people in our group. There are more people
                who follow our group (and many of them are RPCVs with OWCP issues),
                but we have no way of counting them since anyone can access our
                message archive. Clearly we are the tip of the iceberg; there have
                to be hundreds, if not thousands, of us who have been mistreated by
                OWCP.

                Re. the number of RPCVs who have OWCP claims: This should be a
                matter of public record. The question is how to find it. Greg in
                Amy Klobuchar's office may be able to obtain this statistic from the
                Peace Corps or Dept. of Labor Congressional Liaisons. You may be
                able to get it from the Post Service Unit of Peace Corps or the Peace
                Corps Office of the Inspector General. I may be able to find it in
                some of the IG's preliminary reports; I'll poke around a bit later
                today.

                Kevin

                P.S. Contacts ...

                OIG/Peace Corps: 800-424-8580, ext. 2916; email: dkotz@...
                or oig@...

                Post Service Unit/OMS/Peace Corps: 800-424-8580, ext. 1540(menu item
                7); fax: 202-692-1541; email: ldonnelly@... or
                ssaxman@...

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 5, 2007
                  "The Peace Corps has approximately 1,300 open FECA claims and
                  estimates that it spends approximately $11,000,000 in FECA claims for
                  former Volunteers and staff who were injured or became ill on the
                  job."

                  Source: "Semiannual Report to Congress, October 1, 2006 - March 31,
                  2007," Peace Corps Office of Inspector General. This report is
                  available in our Files section.

                  This statistic is useful but limited. For example: it doesn't tell
                  us how many of the 1300 individuals are satisfied (or dissatisfied)
                  with the service they receive from OWCP; nor does it tell us anything
                  about the closed claims; nor does this "snapshot" provide any
                  historical perspective.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 5, 2007
                    The GAO report to which Nancy refers is also available in our Files
                    section. You might find some useful information there; however it
                    focuses on the Peace Corps Office of Medical Services rather than
                    OWCP. For example, one finding of the report is that assistance by
                    Peace Corps in filing FECA claims had its share of deficiencies.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 5, 2007
                      This probably means that I should get off my butt and
                      contact the Oregon congresspeople too. I know this has
                      been asked before, but where can I find a copy of the
                      letters that have been sent. I'm not hugely interested in
                      writing one from scratch. Did you contact Representatives
                      and Senators or just Senators? -- Felicia

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 5, 2007
                        Hi Felicia,

                        I will send you by email a copy of a letter that one of our members
                        sent to her Senator. If you like the letter, it'll take you a couple
                        minutes to tailor the letter for your use.

                        If you would like to contact both of your Senators and your
                        Congressperson, that would be great. Whether you choose to contact
                        one or two or all three of them is entirely up to you.

                        Thanks.

                        Kevin