Update

  • susan murray
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 3, 2007

      Since I had not received any reply from Oregon Senators Wyden (D) or Smith (R) or Congresswoman Hooley (D) to my letter of 9/4 I contacted each of their offices on 10/29.  Wyden's aide said that she would "check into it" and call me back.  So far no call.  Hooley's aide said that they had no record of receiving my letter so I faxed a copy of the PC letter and my cover on 10/29.  Smith's aide said that she would call DC and check on my letter.  I received a letter today from Smith saying that he "appreciated the input and he would keep my thoughts in mind should these matters be brought before the Congress for consideration."  So much for that.

      I remain frustrated but will follow up with Wyden and Hooley.

      Sue

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 4, 2007
        Sue,

        Thanks for the update. I understand your frustration. I am also
        frustrated, and somewhat puzzled, by the lack of response that we've
        gotten from most of the Senators and Representatives we've
        contacted. Why are they so reluctant to take on the Executive
        Branch? Is it a Bush administration thing, or are RPCVs such lowly
        beings that we don't even make a blip on the radar?

        I'm not familiar with the Oregon Congressional delegation, but I'm
        surprised that a couple of Senators (i.e., Patrick Leahy and Charles
        Schumer) have failed to respond. In Senator Leahy's case, eight of
        the signatories to the Gregg letter were from Vermont!

        I'm tempted to erect a cyber Hall of Shame for a number of our
        elected officials. Not that it would do anything but give me a
        moment of satisfaction.

        Kevin

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 4, 2007
          I found a contact in Senator Klobuchar's office by submitting a written request to her office who gave me his direct phone number and I am working with him on my specific issue and the larger OWCP issue at once.  I'll call him next Wednesday or Thursday and let you know what I find out.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 4, 2007
            Thanks for the update, Andy. I look forward to hearing more about this
            in the coming week.

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 4, 2007

              I need some statistics to talk about with Greg in Senator Klobuchar's (D-Minnesota) office.  He didn't ask me, but if I can tell him how many people are in our group and how many RPCV's have OWCP issues we will have a better chance of this being brought up with the senator.

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 4, 2007
                I'm really sick at the moment or I'd look into this, myself, but the old GAO investigation by Senator Inouye back in the 1990's had a lot of statistics and was quite incriminating of the treatment we all have received, at least as of that date.

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 5, 2007
                  Hi Andy,

                  There are currently 82 people in our group. There are more people
                  who follow our group (and many of them are RPCVs with OWCP issues),
                  but we have no way of counting them since anyone can access our
                  message archive. Clearly we are the tip of the iceberg; there have
                  to be hundreds, if not thousands, of us who have been mistreated by
                  OWCP.

                  Re. the number of RPCVs who have OWCP claims: This should be a
                  matter of public record. The question is how to find it. Greg in
                  Amy Klobuchar's office may be able to obtain this statistic from the
                  Peace Corps or Dept. of Labor Congressional Liaisons. You may be
                  able to get it from the Post Service Unit of Peace Corps or the Peace
                  Corps Office of the Inspector General. I may be able to find it in
                  some of the IG's preliminary reports; I'll poke around a bit later
                  today.

                  Kevin

                  P.S. Contacts ...

                  OIG/Peace Corps: 800-424-8580, ext. 2916; email: dkotz@...
                  or oig@...

                  Post Service Unit/OMS/Peace Corps: 800-424-8580, ext. 1540(menu item
                  7); fax: 202-692-1541; email: ldonnelly@... or
                  ssaxman@...

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 5, 2007
                    "The Peace Corps has approximately 1,300 open FECA claims and
                    estimates that it spends approximately $11,000,000 in FECA claims for
                    former Volunteers and staff who were injured or became ill on the
                    job."

                    Source: "Semiannual Report to Congress, October 1, 2006 - March 31,
                    2007," Peace Corps Office of Inspector General. This report is
                    available in our Files section.

                    This statistic is useful but limited. For example: it doesn't tell
                    us how many of the 1300 individuals are satisfied (or dissatisfied)
                    with the service they receive from OWCP; nor does it tell us anything
                    about the closed claims; nor does this "snapshot" provide any
                    historical perspective.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 5, 2007
                      The GAO report to which Nancy refers is also available in our Files
                      section. You might find some useful information there; however it
                      focuses on the Peace Corps Office of Medical Services rather than
                      OWCP. For example, one finding of the report is that assistance by
                      Peace Corps in filing FECA claims had its share of deficiencies.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 5, 2007
                        This probably means that I should get off my butt and
                        contact the Oregon congresspeople too. I know this has
                        been asked before, but where can I find a copy of the
                        letters that have been sent. I'm not hugely interested in
                        writing one from scratch. Did you contact Representatives
                        and Senators or just Senators? -- Felicia

                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 5, 2007
                          Hi Felicia,

                          I will send you by email a copy of a letter that one of our members
                          sent to her Senator. If you like the letter, it'll take you a couple
                          minutes to tailor the letter for your use.

                          If you would like to contact both of your Senators and your
                          Congressperson, that would be great. Whether you choose to contact
                          one or two or all three of them is entirely up to you.

                          Thanks.

                          Kevin