Re: [owcp] Re: Senator Dodd: Follow Up

  • Christine Link
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 3, 2007
      Hi, Kevin,
      Thanks for your email.

      An issue I'd like to have raised is benefits for RPCV's who live overseas. I have access to American doctors (that's not the issue), but it looks like I may have to go back on an expensive medication for my arthritis. Normally in the US, I could get CVS to run it through workers comp directly so I never had to pay for any part of it, but that's not an option here in Germany. I also can't get it mail order as the medicine (a weekly injection) has to be refrigerated. I can't afford this medication (about $1400 per month). How am I supposed to get treated in this scenario?

      I'm not sure if this is the kind of issue you were requesting (please feel free to not use it if it doesn't fall into what you were going to discuss with Sen. Dodd's office--just thought I'd take a chance in case it did!).

      Cheers from Germany!

      Christine Link

      P.S. Also, when you get a chance, if you could send me the mailing addresses of your contacts (the IG, etc.) that you had sent phone numbers for earlier, that would be great.

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 4, 2007
        Christine,

        I will forward a copy of your message to Josh Blumenfeld of Senator
        Chris Dodd's office prior to my phone conversation with Josh and his
        colleagues. Your message will help to put a personal face on our
        struggles with OWCP. I think that's important whether or not this
        phone conversation turns out to be a forum for our individual issues.

        Kevin

        P.S. I've emailed you the mailing address for the PC Officials,
        together with some relevant email addresses and fax numbers. I hope
        they're helpful.

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 7, 2007
          I spoke with Josh Blumenfeld and two of his colleagues earlier
          today. They are going to make some inquiries on our behalf, starting
          with the offices of Senator Gregg and the Peace Corps Inspector
          General.

          What I need from YOU are copies of letters that you have received
          from Peace Corps or OWCP that demonstrate just how unhelpful those
          agencies are. For example, I'm going to submit to Senator Dodd's
          office a recent letter from Michelle K. Brooks, the Director of Peace
          Corps' Office of Congressional Relations, in which she states:

          " ... Given that Mr. Clark's claim is an accepted claim, the Peace
          Corps cannot provide any further assistance. At this point in the
          process, we can only recommend that he follow up directly with DOL."

          This is precisely the type of brush-off that members of our group
          have gotten from Peace Corps over and over again. (I realize that
          I'm preaching to the choir!)

          I am aware that you may possess letters that contain personal
          information that you don't want to release. If that's the case,
          please consider whether you could black out the personal information
          and leave the tone of the letter intact.

          Many thanks.

          Kevin
          owcp2004@...

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 9, 2007
            The staff of Senator Klobuchar, Greg and his assistant Sophia, who gave me his direct line to Senator Klobuchar's office are going to bring the RPCV OWCP issue up with Senator Klobuchar and see if she will meet with me.  I will let you know more when Greg calls me back later today.  If I get a meeting with the Senator I am going to need some statistics and documentation from our group.  Right now I have a number of 1300 who are registered, but that is just the tip of the iceberg according to a previous e-mail.  I will let you know more once Greg and Sophia call back later today.

            owcp2004@yahoo. com

            http://mail.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 12, 2007
              Andy,

              1300 is the approximate number of open FECA claims that Peace Corps had
              as of March 2007. OIG reported that statistic to Congress, so I
              suspect it's a very good estimate.

              Do you know what statistics you are looking for? If so, please send me
              an email and I'll try to point you in the right direction.

              Kevin

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 12, 2007
                I thought we might be able to tell them the lengths of time some of these claims have been open. I think that would show how slow the process is, but it sounds like those statistics are unavailable.  In any case, I gave Greg in Senator Klobuchar's office our group web address so he can see what we are talking about.  He said he would take a look and would let the Senator know of our issue.  He also said that as long as the Department of Labor was helping, then that was quicker than trying to get a meeting with the Senator who might or might not be able to immediately help.  He said his line was always open to me if I didn't get far with the Department of Labor and my current Worker's Compensation claim.

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 13, 2007
                  Hi Andy,

                  I'm afraid that statistics are going to be difficult to come by. The
                  Peace Corps Office of Medical Services, the OIGs of Peace Corps and
                  Labor, and OWCP may all have relevant data, but located these data
                  and getting the agencies to part with them would be a major
                  undertaking. Since some of the statitics would be unflattering,
                  Peace Corps and OWCP would have a variety of reasons, including
                  political ones, to keep the statistics out of the public eye.

                  I'm not sure that the length of time that a claim has been open
                  necessarily means much. (The length of time that a claim has been
                  open and receiving inadequate attention is another matter!) I'd like
                  to see statistics such as: 1. Average length of time that it takes
                  to process a bill; 2. Accuracy in processing bills; 3. Average length
                  of time that it takes to authorize or reauthorize medical procedures;
                  4. Percentage of telephone calls and letters that are responded to in
                  the promised amount of time ... I could go on and on.

                  The lack of good data points to the need for a GAO study like the one
                  we asked Senator Gregg (and other Members of Congress) to pursue.