Re: [owcp] Senator Dodd: Follow-Up to Message #539

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 2, 2007
      In a message dated 11/2/2007 3:13:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, owcp2004@... writes:
      Staff after she had seen message #539 ...
      Kevin,

      I have no idea how one accesses postings such as #539. Can you inform me? I'm listserve ignorant. And I'll let folks know as soon as Sen. Schumer's office returns with info. They always take a few months.

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 3, 2007
        Anyone can read the postings in our message archive at
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/owcp .

        How do they find us? One way is through google or another search
        engine. For example, if one uses the search terms "owcp rpcv" a number
        of sites come up that link to us. Another way to learn of us is to
        receive a forwarded posting from our group. That's how Ms. McGrogan
        received posting #539 so quickly. I didn't forward the posting to her
        directly, but rather sent it to key contacts at Chris Dodd's Senate and
        Campaign offices.

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 3, 2007
          I spoke with Josh Blumenfeld, the staffer who deals with Peace Corps
          issues, late yesterday afternoon. I gave him an overview of some of
          our concerns about OWCP/Peace Corps.

          We are going to set up a phone call next week to discuss the matter in
          greater detail. I sent him a copy of the Gregg letter to give him some
          additional background. He is going to talk with his colleagues who
          deal with OWCP and ask them to join the conversation.

          I'll keep you informed. If there is anything specific that you'd like
          me to address during next week's phone call, please let me know asap.
          Also, if it turns out that a conference call is a possibility, would
          you like to be a part of it?

          Kevin

          --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin" <owcp2004@...> wrote:

          > In all fairness to Senator Chris Dodd and his staff, I received a
          > phone call and the following email from the Senator's Acting Chief of
          > Staff ...
        • Christine Link
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 3, 2007
            Hi, Kevin,
            Thanks for your email.

            An issue I'd like to have raised is benefits for RPCV's who live overseas. I have access to American doctors (that's not the issue), but it looks like I may have to go back on an expensive medication for my arthritis. Normally in the US, I could get CVS to run it through workers comp directly so I never had to pay for any part of it, but that's not an option here in Germany. I also can't get it mail order as the medicine (a weekly injection) has to be refrigerated. I can't afford this medication (about $1400 per month). How am I supposed to get treated in this scenario?

            I'm not sure if this is the kind of issue you were requesting (please feel free to not use it if it doesn't fall into what you were going to discuss with Sen. Dodd's office--just thought I'd take a chance in case it did!).

            Cheers from Germany!

            Christine Link

            P.S. Also, when you get a chance, if you could send me the mailing addresses of your contacts (the IG, etc.) that you had sent phone numbers for earlier, that would be great.

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 4, 2007
              Christine,

              I will forward a copy of your message to Josh Blumenfeld of Senator
              Chris Dodd's office prior to my phone conversation with Josh and his
              colleagues. Your message will help to put a personal face on our
              struggles with OWCP. I think that's important whether or not this
              phone conversation turns out to be a forum for our individual issues.

              Kevin

              P.S. I've emailed you the mailing address for the PC Officials,
              together with some relevant email addresses and fax numbers. I hope
              they're helpful.

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 7, 2007
                I spoke with Josh Blumenfeld and two of his colleagues earlier
                today. They are going to make some inquiries on our behalf, starting
                with the offices of Senator Gregg and the Peace Corps Inspector
                General.

                What I need from YOU are copies of letters that you have received
                from Peace Corps or OWCP that demonstrate just how unhelpful those
                agencies are. For example, I'm going to submit to Senator Dodd's
                office a recent letter from Michelle K. Brooks, the Director of Peace
                Corps' Office of Congressional Relations, in which she states:

                " ... Given that Mr. Clark's claim is an accepted claim, the Peace
                Corps cannot provide any further assistance. At this point in the
                process, we can only recommend that he follow up directly with DOL."

                This is precisely the type of brush-off that members of our group
                have gotten from Peace Corps over and over again. (I realize that
                I'm preaching to the choir!)

                I am aware that you may possess letters that contain personal
                information that you don't want to release. If that's the case,
                please consider whether you could black out the personal information
                and leave the tone of the letter intact.

                Many thanks.

                Kevin
                owcp2004@...

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 9, 2007
                  The staff of Senator Klobuchar, Greg and his assistant Sophia, who gave me his direct line to Senator Klobuchar's office are going to bring the RPCV OWCP issue up with Senator Klobuchar and see if she will meet with me.  I will let you know more when Greg calls me back later today.  If I get a meeting with the Senator I am going to need some statistics and documentation from our group.  Right now I have a number of 1300 who are registered, but that is just the tip of the iceberg according to a previous e-mail.  I will let you know more once Greg and Sophia call back later today.

                  owcp2004@yahoo. com

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 12, 2007
                    Andy,

                    1300 is the approximate number of open FECA claims that Peace Corps had
                    as of March 2007. OIG reported that statistic to Congress, so I
                    suspect it's a very good estimate.

                    Do you know what statistics you are looking for? If so, please send me
                    an email and I'll try to point you in the right direction.

                    Kevin

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 12, 2007
                      I thought we might be able to tell them the lengths of time some of these claims have been open. I think that would show how slow the process is, but it sounds like those statistics are unavailable.  In any case, I gave Greg in Senator Klobuchar's office our group web address so he can see what we are talking about.  He said he would take a look and would let the Senator know of our issue.  He also said that as long as the Department of Labor was helping, then that was quicker than trying to get a meeting with the Senator who might or might not be able to immediately help.  He said his line was always open to me if I didn't get far with the Department of Labor and my current Worker's Compensation claim.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 13, 2007
                        Hi Andy,

                        I'm afraid that statistics are going to be difficult to come by. The
                        Peace Corps Office of Medical Services, the OIGs of Peace Corps and
                        Labor, and OWCP may all have relevant data, but located these data
                        and getting the agencies to part with them would be a major
                        undertaking. Since some of the statitics would be unflattering,
                        Peace Corps and OWCP would have a variety of reasons, including
                        political ones, to keep the statistics out of the public eye.

                        I'm not sure that the length of time that a claim has been open
                        necessarily means much. (The length of time that a claim has been
                        open and receiving inadequate attention is another matter!) I'd like
                        to see statistics such as: 1. Average length of time that it takes
                        to process a bill; 2. Accuracy in processing bills; 3. Average length
                        of time that it takes to authorize or reauthorize medical procedures;
                        4. Percentage of telephone calls and letters that are responded to in
                        the promised amount of time ... I could go on and on.

                        The lack of good data points to the need for a GAO study like the one
                        we asked Senator Gregg (and other Members of Congress) to pursue.