Keep the Pressure on Peace Corps

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 19, 2007

      I've had three telephone conversations with the Post Service Unit of the Peace Corps Office of Medical Services in the past 10 days. Some impressions:

      1. Peace Corps seems to be generally satisfied with how OWCP handles the claims of RPCVs.
      2. The nurse case manager would like me to go away and accept the fact that I'm being treated like everyone else.
      3. If you're persistent and tenacious enough, Peace Corps will (reluctantly) consider your complaints. The case manager has twice called my claims examiner at OWCP to see if anything can be done to expedite authorization of medical services. She also has asked the Medical Director of Peace Corps to look at my medical file. I've gotten no word yet as to whether he'll be willing to review my file, much less weigh in with OWCP.

      My advice to everyone who is having trouble with OWCP: Keep the pressure on Peace Corps. The Post Service Unit is a small organization, and we might be able to overwhelm their staff with requests. We conceivably could create so much work for them that they'll have no choice but to let the people "upstairs" know that there is a problem that won't go away. Then, Peace Corps will have to decide what action to take: 1. Refuse to offer any more assistance to RPCVs, 2. Dedicate more resources to assisting RPCVs, or 3. Lean on OWCP.

      Peace Corps is one of Senator Gregg's foci too. He has written a letter to the Inspector General on behalf of this group. He also has personally called Peace Corps regarding the current problems that I am having with OWCP.

      I have also had a recent phone conversation with the Inspector General. He seems sympathetic to our cause and suggested that it would be helpful if letters to OWCP from our Senators and Congresspersons could be copied to his office.

      I'd be happy to post contact information for the Post Service Unit, the Medical Director of Peace Corps, or the Inspector General. Please let me know if that interests you.

      Have a good weekend!

      Kevin

    • Christine Link
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 23, 2007
        I'd be very interested in having that contact information--thanks!

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 23, 2007

          Post Service Unit:  800-424-8580, ext. 1540 or 202-692-1540

          Dr. Scott Saxman, Peace Corps Medical Director:  800-424-8580, ext. 1500 or 202-692-1500

          H. David Kotz, Inspector General:  800-424-8580, ext. 2916