periodic reviews

  • dropjohn2
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 14, 2007
      I recently received one of these delightful forms from OWCP - I'm sure
      most of you are painfully familiar with them. I've got several
      questions around this and am hoping someone with more experience might
      be able to give their educated guess or their own experience.

      What's the normal timing for these? Right now, it's looking as though
      I'll be getting one a year (went through this just last year), just to
      be sure I haven't experienced a miracle cure. [I'm at "medical end
      point" according to the doctors they use - a spinal injury that
      occurred during service, and that is no longer considered operable. I
      don't receive any treatment for this at present, because there really
      is no treatment - other than taking heavy pain meds, which obviously
      present their own challenges in a work environment. No onr likes a
      drooler! From my previous experience, I'll go to my primary and be
      referred for work capacity tests; spend a day being tested to
      destruction, and get the same results as before. wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
      Pardon my lack of joy.]

      Has anyone had any luck getting help in filling out the non medical
      part of the form? The closest district office is in Boston, and I
      usually end up in voice mail hell, followed by phone tag, followed by
      'I'm not sure, let me check and get back to you' reality. There are a
      couple of what I see as potentially tricky questions I'd like to be
      sure I'm answering correctly according to their esoteric protocol. The
      local folks at Dept of Labor have never seen any OWCP forms and are
      scared to answer lest they be liable; I'm ineligible for Legal Aid (I
      actually couldn't find a lawyer in VT that would take an OWCP/FECA
      case a year ago when they reduced my compensation); and it seems to be
      a big blank all around.

      And I reiterate what so many have said: I loved my service (3 years,
      and tried for a fourth - medical nixed me) but for volunteers injured
      during service, I think especially for those with long term disability
      issues, it's a pretty grim reality.
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 15, 2007
        I wish I could help. I've been in the "system" for 25 years, and I
        have never been subjected to a periodic review form.

        My suggestion would be to contact the Post Service Unit of Peace
        Corps' Office of Medical Services. They can be reached at 800-424-
        8580, ext. 1540. Helping you to properly complete the form would
        certainly be a reasonable thing for them to do. I've had a couple
        recent conversations with the Post Service Unit and they assure me
        that obtaining the highest quality of health care for RPCVs is one of
        their priorities.

        If you decide to call the Post Service Unit, please feel free to let
        them know that you are a member of an online community of RPCVs with
        FECA claims (they're aware of us); and be sure to let us know how it
        goes.

        Good luck!

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 15, 2007
          Yeah, I wish I could help too. I had a couple of years of
          medical reviews, but didn't get one this summer (even
          though the last psychiatrist said I was a big fat liar).
          I have never gotten the non-medical form, although I do
          get the regular "are you making any extra money?" form. I
          think the trick for me was seeing a better doctor than
          they sent me to who did more tests and generated more
          paperwork. Neuropsychologist just sounds cooler than
          psychiatrist. I'm going to try going to the
          neuropsychologist on a yearly basis to chart my progress
          and hopefully that will keep the medical evaluations away.

          Good luck with all your forms. -- Felicia