Senator or Congressperson...

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 12, 2007
      Okay folks - a little good news. There was a message on my answering machine yesterday from my liaison at the NY office of Senator Schumer and she said that they had received the letter (Kevin's letter with my cover) and that the issue was of "importance" to the senator and that she had had to forward the material to the DC office. They will be looking into the matter and will reply to this NY liaison and she will keep me apprised of their progress.

      So, I am impressed. His office has been submitting my unpaid bills to OWCP for a few years on my behalf but this is the first they seem interested in actually looking into the more general issues.

      Unfortunately, I had sent the earlier draft of Kevin's letter that had fewer signatures and was lacking the second signature from the other NY RPCV but in any case, they taking some action. I'll settle for that for the time being.

      From past experience it was usually about 2-3 months before I would hear back from Senators/Congress persons so I don't think others should be discouraged.

      Best,
      Nancy
      NYC

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 13, 2007
        Nancy,

        That is good news. Hopefully now that the letters have reached the
        DC office, things will continue to progress at a steady pace.

        I am surprised that it usually takes 2-3 months for your Members of
        Congress to reply to you. Senator Gregg's office always replies to
        me within 2 to 3 days, if only to acknowledge receipt of my letter
        and to let me know that they're dealing with it.

        I'm not totally discouraged, but I think we need to keep pushing on.
        In particular, if people really want to involve the media, this may
        be the time. We don't want our letters to be "stale" when the media
        begins asking questions of OWCP, Peace Corps, and Members of Congress.

        Kevin