Fwd: sick returned Peace Corps Vols

  • Ellen Michelson
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2007
      Hello, everyone - I was in Group 19 (TEFL), in L'viv,
      2000-2002. I'm posting the following here so anyone
      who could benefit from this info can learn about this
      other Yahoo! group.

      Most of us have had good-to-excellent experiences with
      the Peace Corps med folks in Kyiv, but our
      post-service experiences have varied widely. Over the
      years, some volunteers who incurred serious
      disabilities during their Peace Corps time have not
      been served well by the bureaucracy once they have
      returned home.

      My personal experience was not great. All I needed
      was several months of physiotherapy, which made a huge
      difference. Working the Office of Workers'
      Compensation Programs (owcp, hence the name of the
      Yahoo! group) bureaucracy, however, was time-deadening
      to the extreme.

      I have 'signed' (electronically) the letter below. If
      you join the group, you will learn how to add your
      name and support to the effort. I personally hope the
      efforts of this group can make a difference for those
      RPCVs who are deserving of assistance they have not as
      yet received.

      Best from Ellen