Fwd: Re: [Peace Corps] Post-Service Medical Care

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2007
      --- In peacecorps2@yahoogroups.com, "Alyssa Moles" <GypsySoul@...>
      wrote:

      Oh, yes. I know one RPCV from Chad who actually had a service-related
      problem documented while he was in Peace Corps and then had his claims
      denied for post-service treatment. Our situation was further
      complicated by
      the fact that we were evacuated. None of us received our COS dental
      exam and
      our COS health exams were incomplete so we got a pile of lovely
      vouchers. In
      the end, my dentist gave me my exam and fixed my chipped teeth for
      free. I
      ended up paying for my giardia/amoeba tests and meds because speaking
      to OMS
      became too much of a hassle. Other Chad evacuees couldn't find any
      doctors/dentists in their area that would accept the vouchers or
      understood
      how the vouchers worked. I had a pre-existing condition before Peace
      Corps
      that my PCMO advised me would be taken care of post-Peace Corps, but
      wasn't
      due to Corps Care's strict rules. And I believe a number of other
      Chad RPCVs
      are still battling with PCWCP/OMS regarding their issues OR just gave
      up and
      paid out-of-pocket because it just became too much work.

      We are given some of the best health care in the world as Volunteers
      and
      then when we COS, we get nothing. It was a really hard blow having
      just been
      ripped out of our communities, we didn't have time to explore other
      options
      and the PCMOs who did our transition conference didn't really
      understand how
      post-service care worked and gave us a false sense of security that
      the
      vouchers they gave us would make things easy. I love Peace Corps, I
      loved my
      experience but I HATE the post-service medical care I've been given.
      It's
      been over a year since I COS'ed and I'm more than certain that I'm
      still
      having issues from giardia/amoebas...but I ONLY go through my student
      health
      insurance now...I don't even bother with PCWCP.

      Alyssa

      On 9/1/07, Kevin <rpcv@...> wrote:

      > Hi Alyssa,
      >
      > Did you or your friends receive post-service medical care that was
      paid
      > for (or should have been paid for) by Peace Corps or the Office of
      > Workers' Compensation Programs?
      >
      > Kevin
      > Owner, OWCP Yahoo! Group
      > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/owcp
      >
      > --- In peacecorps2@yahoogroups.com <peacecorps2%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > "Alyssa Moles" <GypsySoul@>
      > wrote:
      >
      > ... In fact, our opinion of our post-service medical care makes us
      > super-mad.

      --- End forwarded message ---