Re: [owcp] How to avoid these things?

  • Janice Williams
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 29, 2004
      Jan Williams

      > I am a prospective PCV awaiting medical clearance. I'm just
      > wondering is there any advice that you guys can give me to avoid
      > getting sick, disabled, ect.?
      >
      > I'm very scared of getting evacuated.
      >
      > Any information can help.
      >
      > -Thanks
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      I would advise having a blood sample taken and preserved BEFORE you go
      overseas. Easier to tell what you picked up where. I really feel it is
      just fate. Good luck.

      Jan Williams
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 30, 2004
        I personally would have no qualms about serving in the Peace Corps (or rejoining in my case).
        Sure, there are risks--medical and otherwise--associated with working in the developing world,
        but I think the benefits far outweigh those risks.

        The best way to avoid illness is to take care of yourself during service. The medical and
        nursing staff in my Peace Corps country (Yemen) did a good job with preventive health.

        You have to remember that most volunteers come back with no medical problems. I have little
        complaint with the medical services that I received during and after service; it's the ongoing
        problems that I have with my Peace Corps-related OWCP claim that bothers me.

        Kevin

        > I am a prospective PCV awaiting medical clearance. I'm just
        > wondering is there any advice that you guys can give me to avoid
        > getting sick, disabled, ect.?
        >
        > I'm very scared of getting evacuated.
        >
        > Any information can help.
        >
        > -Thanks
      • DOUGLAS E HEMKEN
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 30, 2004
          I agree with Kevin, the experience is worth the risks. Do all the preventitive stuff they will teach you in-country. In the four years I was in PC-Nepal, only 4-5 of us at most were medevaced out of country (less than 1% per year). You would do a lot worse working construction, like my brother!

          But document every little illness and accident (i.e. see the doctor, or send a letter in to the doctor if you are posted someplace remote). In 4 years only one PCV that I know of *never* got sick -- most of us at least caught some intestinal bug. The key to avoiding our bad OWCP experiences (and bad insurance experiences in general) is sterling documentation.

          Douglas Hemken
          Statistical Consultant
          Social Science Micro Lab
          3218 Social Science Bldg.

          dehemken@...
          262-0862

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 31, 2004
            Regarding "avoiding getting sick and joining the PC,"

            I have to honestly say that I loved my work in Chile, loved the experience and the people there and have returned once to my site. But after 20 years of being sick, having my parents sacrifice so much to keep me alive, barely living at above poverty level due to my struggles with the USDOL/OWCP (still) and not being insurable in the US because I'm not well enough to work and be part of a group plan, I live in fear every day. Each day is devoted to trying to make this system work and I no longer feel that the experience was worth the risk and that is a shame. The fault lies not with the in-country end of things but the lack of support on this end. Because of this I would never feel safe working for my government again.

            And yet I can still feel a deep and profound connection and joy for the time I spent in Chile. Take this for what it's worth.