Re: Congressional Contacts - Update 9/2/07

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2007
      Andy,

      Thank you very much for all your help. To answer your questions:

      1. I only know of the impending legislation because of Ana Navarro.
      She wrote in her August 6 email:

      "I would also suggest that you reach out to Senator Dodd's office, as
      they are currently looking at legislation on Peace Corps -
      specifically to address some of the inefficiencies from the
      perspective of volunteers. If [RPCV post-service medical problems
      are] a systemic issue that could be at least partially addressed
      through legislation, it would be worth contacting them ..."

      So, as far as I know, there is nothing to study at this point. I
      view contacting Senator Dodd's office as an information gathering
      expedition: to see if the bill they are working on addresses any of
      our issues and, if not, whether they would be willing to add some of
      our 'wish list" to the legislation. Mandating Peace Corps to assist
      RPCVs with OWCP problems would be wonderful.

      2. I'll have the final copy of the Gregg letter on the web very
      soon. When it's ready for downloading, I'll let everyone know. I
      think it would be great if you could provide copies to your
      Congressman and both of your Senators. Please be sure to include a
      cover letter, which lets them know that you are a constituent and
      includes some sort of request that you expect them to respond to.
      Otherwise, they may think it's just an FYI mailing and file it.

      Kevin

      --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Sterioff <apsterioff@...> wrote:

      > Kevin,
      >
      > Where can I get a copy of the Peace Corps legislation you refer to
      in number 3? I'm willing to take the lead as long as I can read the
      legislation so I know all of the issues.

      > Do you have the final copy sent to Senator Gregg so I can contact
      Senator Klobuchar of Minnesota and my congressman? I should also
      probably send a copy to Senator Colman's office and Ana Navarro, if
      you haven't already done that. I'm willing to print these out and
      send them.

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2007

        Can you tell me where to find the final version of the letter mailed?

        Thanks,
        Nancy T

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2007
          I haven't posted it yet, but will soon. I'll let you know when it's
          available for reading and printing.

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 23, 2007
            1. I spoke with a staffer in Senator Gregg's office on 9/18 to
            follow up on the Senator's initial response to our letter. (See
            message 504, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/owcp/message/504 )

            2. I sent an email to Ana Navarro in Senator Coleman's office this
            morning to follow up on the email that Andy and I sent her on
            September 2.

            3. As far as I know, no one from this group has contacted Senator
            Dodd's office. If I'm wrong, please let me know.

            4. Also, as far as I know, no one other than me has received a reply
            from a Senator or Congressperson regarding the Gregg letter. Again,
            please let me know if I'm wrong.

            Thanks!

            Kevin