media

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2007
      Hi gang,

      I just want to remind the group that I was the one who first took out an ad in the RPCV newsletter 8 years ago to try to get a group of us together to hopefully go to the media!  Kevin was the only person who responded to me and then got the Yahoo connection up and going, as I was not technically up to speed at the time in that way.

      Anyway, about 4 years ago, after tremendous hard work and connections, I did get someone at NBC interested in airing our "story" but they needed 10 people that I could firmly say shared my frustration and opinions. That is when I really tried through this group to round folks up but there was never any response to my media "call to action." I have also had some nibbles from a contact at CNN and possibly 60 mins but again, I needed some people who could stand behind me.

      All this is to say that I think Kevin has shown amazing initiative in getting the word out to congress and that if we go in the media direction down the road that I'd like to have a chance to pursue my leads before we all start going in that direction, if that is direction we choose to take. I also think that it is wise to let the letter get out there and see what comes of it.

      Thanks,

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2007
        Hi Nancy,

        Why don't you and Sue (bunstg@...) consider working together
        to coordinate the media part of our campaign? You both seem to have
        ideas and contacts, so I think you'd make a tremendous team!

        Speaking only for myself, I tend to be media shy. I'm happy to
        correspond with reporters via email, but I'm not willing to go "on
        air" (microphones and cameras just aren't my thing).

        Kevin

        P.S. It might be a good idea to invite your media contacts to join
        our group. There is a wealth of information here and plenty of
        members to interview via email.