Letters - cc'ing to other Senators and Representatives

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 30, 2007
      Thank you for bringing this up. I would like to see the Gregg letter
      and other letters that we may write in the hands of many Senators and
      Representatives. However, rather than cc'ing our letters, I think
      we'd have more impact if constituents provided a copy of the letters
      to their own Senators and Representatives.

      In the case of the Gregg letter, this is what I'm asking our members
      to consider doing:

      Prepare a cover letter to the Senator or Congressman of their choice.
      The cover letter can (and probably should) be brief. It need only
      contain a reference to the Gregg letter and a request of some sort
      (e.g., please coordinate with Senator Gregg's office, add your voice
      to calling for a GAO inquiry, ask Peace Corps for an ombdusman). Be
      to sign the cover letter, include a complete address (so it's clear
      the request is coming from a constituent), and attach a copy of the
      Gregg letter.

      Thanks again!

      --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, Christine Link <clberna@...> wrote:

      > I think ccìng the letter to current Congressmen and Senators who
      are RPCV`s would help us garner support. It is amazing to me the
      amount of vetting they put each of us through after the approval
      process is over. A medical physician is caring for us after all, not
      someone off the street. The very process of getting care under their
      system exacerbates many (if not all) of our conditions. Too bad this
      kind of attention to detail for each and every dollar wasn`t (and
      isn`t) being spent on other departments in the government. Peace
      Corps`budget is miniscule compared to the rest of what the government
      spends. I would love to be asked to give my personal case history to
      a Senator--that I lived on a $100 a month, got sick and repeatedly
      asked for my PCMO`s help to do more tests and was told there was
      nothing more to do (when there was), and now I get to live with a
      degenerative autoimmune disease for the rest of my life. So the OIG
      wants to know if PC is spending it`s money appropriately? I don`t
      think that`s the basis of our inquiry, but rather is Peace Corps
      treating its volunteers appropriately. The answer to that is an
      obvious no.