Re: [owcp] Re: Senator Norm Coleman - follow up

  • Christine Link
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 29 4:17 AM
      I think ccìng the letter to current Congressmen and Senators who are RPCV`s would help us garner support. It is amazing to me the amount of vetting they put each of us through after the approval process is over. A medical physician is caring for us after all, not someone off the street. The very process of getting care under their system exacerbates many (if not all) of our conditions. Too bad this kind of attention to detail for each and every dollar wasn`t (and isn`t) being spent on other departments in the government. Peace Corps`budget is miniscule compared to the rest of what the government spends. I would love to be asked to give my personal case history to a Senator--that I lived on a $100 a month, got sick and repeatedly asked for my PCMO`s help to do more tests and was told there was nothing more to do (when there was), and now I get to live with a degenerative autoimmune disease for the rest of my life. So the OIG wants to know if PC is spending it`s money appropriately? I don`t think that`s the basis of our inquiry, but rather is Peace Corps treating its volunteers appropriately. The answer to that is an obvious no.
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 30 10:58 AM
        Thank you for bringing this up. I would like to see the Gregg letter
        and other letters that we may write in the hands of many Senators and
        Representatives. However, rather than cc'ing our letters, I think
        we'd have more impact if constituents provided a copy of the letters
        to their own Senators and Representatives.

        In the case of the Gregg letter, this is what I'm asking our members
        to consider doing:

        Prepare a cover letter to the Senator or Congressman of their choice.
        The cover letter can (and probably should) be brief. It need only
        contain a reference to the Gregg letter and a request of some sort
        (e.g., please coordinate with Senator Gregg's office, add your voice
        to calling for a GAO inquiry, ask Peace Corps for an ombdusman). Be
        to sign the cover letter, include a complete address (so it's clear
        the request is coming from a constituent), and attach a copy of the
        Gregg letter.

        Thanks again!