Complaint Against Claims Examiner

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 28, 2007
      Has anyone ever complained about their claims examiner? If so, who did
      you complain to and did you get any results?

      I'm considering filing a formal complaint against my current claims
      examiner alleging abuse of power and an attempt to illegally obtain
      confidential medical information. My thought is to mail a complaint
      letter to her boss (the OWCP District Director) and cc it to Labor's
      OIG and one of my Congressman. But, I'd like your experiences and
      thoughts on the matter. Thanks again.

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 28, 2007

        I've never officially filed a complaint but feel similarly abused. I think your idea of how and where to address the complaints are good ones.

        Nancy T. NYC

      • Christine Link
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 29, 2007
          Wow--can`t believe what your claims examiner is doing. Makes my story seem petty, but here it is. In one of the gazillion attempts to get answers to a denied bill, mine kept hanging up on me after being extremely rude and yelling at me. I complained to the main office supervisor who called me and told me that the "matter was taken care of"--whatever that means. I would gladly take someone rude if they would just do their job correctly and get me the benefits I am entitled to. Anyway, your route is much better and I think you will get better results with who you are copying it to. Might wanna copy it to PC`s post service benefits office for the sake of keeping everyone in the loop, even though they are just as useless most of the time. Good luck.

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 29, 2007
            Geez, the worst I ever have is that they don't call me
            back. However, I almost never call them anyway now. I
            just send letters - lots of letters - with dates of
            previous letters, copies of their letters with sections
            highlighted and a new paragraph for each problem. That
            actually seems to get the job done. -- Felicia

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 29, 2007
              I don't talk to OWCP staff either, if I can help it. I think it's
              best to have things in writing. Not that it's a big problem since
              they rarely call me. In fact, they still haven't returned some of
              my calls from 25 years ago!

              My complaint stems from a call that my claims examiner made to my
              doctor's office. When she couldn't convince the office staff to
              give her information from my chart, she became "very rude." Since
              her identity couldn't be verified over the phone and she didn't have
              a valid release of information, my doctor's office did the right
              thing. They cannnot ignore office policy, medical ethics, and state
              and federal privacy laws even if a claims examiner purports to have
              God-like powers.