Re: Senator Norm Coleman - follow up

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 28, 2007
      I have received no feedback on how I should respond to Senator
      Coleman's office. If you've got an opinion on the matter, now is the
      time to speak up.

      Since Senator Coleman is working on the Peace Corps side of the
      equation, I'm inclined to ask for a PC Ombudsman as we are doing in
      the letter to Senator Gregg: I.e, ask Peace Corps to appoint a
      person to act as an ombudsman or advocate for Returned Peace Corps
      Volunteers who encounter problems in obtaining the post-service
      medical care to which they are legally entitled.

      Any objections? Any further suggestions? Thanks!

      Kevin

      --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin" <owcp2004@...> wrote:

      > Here's the latest from Ana Navarro of Senator Coleman's office:
      >
      > Hi Kevin,
      >
      > Very sorry I have been unable to speak with you, things were very
      hectic
      > right before the recess and now I am back in the state for meetings
      and
      > have sporadic access to computers. I did speak to the Peace Corps
      about
      > your issue, although I think they misunderstood the actual inquiry.
      The

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 28, 2007

        Yes, ombudsman is a good idea.

      • Christine Link
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 29, 2007
          I think ccìng the letter to current Congressmen and Senators who are RPCV`s would help us garner support. It is amazing to me the amount of vetting they put each of us through after the approval process is over. A medical physician is caring for us after all, not someone off the street. The very process of getting care under their system exacerbates many (if not all) of our conditions. Too bad this kind of attention to detail for each and every dollar wasn`t (and isn`t) being spent on other departments in the government. Peace Corps`budget is miniscule compared to the rest of what the government spends. I would love to be asked to give my personal case history to a Senator--that I lived on a $100 a month, got sick and repeatedly asked for my PCMO`s help to do more tests and was told there was nothing more to do (when there was), and now I get to live with a degenerative autoimmune disease for the rest of my life. So the OIG wants to know if PC is spending it`s money appropriately? I don`t think that`s the basis of our inquiry, but rather is Peace Corps treating its volunteers appropriately. The answer to that is an obvious no.
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 30, 2007
            Thank you for bringing this up. I would like to see the Gregg letter
            and other letters that we may write in the hands of many Senators and
            Representatives. However, rather than cc'ing our letters, I think
            we'd have more impact if constituents provided a copy of the letters
            to their own Senators and Representatives.

            In the case of the Gregg letter, this is what I'm asking our members
            to consider doing:

            Prepare a cover letter to the Senator or Congressman of their choice.
            The cover letter can (and probably should) be brief. It need only
            contain a reference to the Gregg letter and a request of some sort
            (e.g., please coordinate with Senator Gregg's office, add your voice
            to calling for a GAO inquiry, ask Peace Corps for an ombdusman). Be
            to sign the cover letter, include a complete address (so it's clear
            the request is coming from a constituent), and attach a copy of the
            Gregg letter.

            Thanks again!