Re: Rough Draft of Gregg Letter

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 28, 2007
      Just a quick follow up:

      I plan to tweak the letter based on your suggestions and have it
      ready to mail by the end of the week. In the ideal world, a faxed
      copy will reach my caseworker in Senator Gregg's Concord office by
      Friday and the original, signed copy will reach the Senator's
      Washington, DC office shortly after the holiday.

      Kevin

      --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin" <owcp2004@...> wrote:

      > Dear Senator Gregg:
      >
      > We the undersigned are members of an online community of Returned
      Peace
      > Corps Volunteers, and most of us have or have had workers'
      compensation
      > claims with the U.S. Department of Labor. We are writing to you
      because
      > we are concerned about the treatment that we or our fellow members
      have
      > received from the Office of Workers' Compensation Programs, its
      > subcontractor ACS, and the Peace Corps Office of Medical Services.
      We
      > are also concerned about inefficiencies in the federal workers'
      > compensation system that result in delayed claims processing, lack
      of
      > continuity of claimant medical care, an inability or unwillingness
      > respond to requests by claimants and to treat them with dignity and
      > respect, etc., as well as poor management of millions of dollars of
      > taxpayer funds.
      >
      > As you undoubtedly know, the Office of the Inspector General of the
      > Peace Corps is "conducting a review of post-service applications by
      > former Peace Corps staff and Volunteers for benefits under the
      Federal
      > Employees Compensation Act." While we are supportive of the
      Inspector
      > General's efforts to varying degrees, we believe that a parallel
      > investigation of the agencies involved in the provision of workers'
      > compensation benefits to Returned Peace Corps Volunteers would
      identify
      > weaknesses in the system that, if corrected, would better promote
      > economy and efficiency and prevent waste, abuse, and fraud.
      Claimants
      > would receive better service, and taxpayers would reap the benefits
      of a
      > more efficient bureaucracy.
      >
      > Accordingly, we are asking you to consider requesting a Government
      > Accountability Office study of how well the Office of Workers'
      > Compensation Programs, ACS, and the Peace Corps Office of Medical
      > Services meet the medical needs of Returned Peace Corps Volunteers
      who
      > are eligible for benefits under the Federal Employees Compensation
      Act
      > because of injuries sustained or illnesses contracted during their
      tours
      > of duty. We would like the study to include, but not necessarily be
      > limited to, an evaluation of the following:
      >
      > 1. The commitment and progress on the part of the Office of Workers'
      > Compensation Programs (OWCP) to honor its Pledge to Customers and
      > implement its Mission and Vision statements.
      >
      > 2. The adequacy of the qualifications and training of OWCP claims
      > examiners, supervisory personnel, managers, and executives.
      >
      > 3. The accuracy and timeliness with which OWCP adjudicates claims,
      and
      > OWCP and ACS make payments to claimants and their medical providers.
      >
      > 4. The degree to which OWCP provides proper oversight to ACS.
      >
      > 5. The relationships of OWCP with ACS and the Peace Corps Office of
      > Medical Services (OMS), and whether those relationships are to the
      > benefit or detriment of claimants.
      >
      > 6. Improvements, if any, that have been implemented by OWCP because
      of
      > recommendations contained in previous Government Accountability
      Office