Re: [owcp] Re: Rough Draft of Gregg Letter

  • Christine Link
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 12, 2007
      Both would be fine. Thanks!

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 28, 2007
        Just a quick follow up:

        I plan to tweak the letter based on your suggestions and have it
        ready to mail by the end of the week. In the ideal world, a faxed
        copy will reach my caseworker in Senator Gregg's Concord office by
        Friday and the original, signed copy will reach the Senator's
        Washington, DC office shortly after the holiday.

        Kevin

        --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin" <owcp2004@...> wrote:

        > Dear Senator Gregg:
        >
        > We the undersigned are members of an online community of Returned
        Peace
        > Corps Volunteers, and most of us have or have had workers'
        compensation
        > claims with the U.S. Department of Labor. We are writing to you
        because
        > we are concerned about the treatment that we or our fellow members
        have
        > received from the Office of Workers' Compensation Programs, its
        > subcontractor ACS, and the Peace Corps Office of Medical Services.
        We
        > are also concerned about inefficiencies in the federal workers'
        > compensation system that result in delayed claims processing, lack
        of
        > continuity of claimant medical care, an inability or unwillingness
        > respond to requests by claimants and to treat them with dignity and
        > respect, etc., as well as poor management of millions of dollars of
        > taxpayer funds.
        >
        > As you undoubtedly know, the Office of the Inspector General of the
        > Peace Corps is "conducting a review of post-service applications by
        > former Peace Corps staff and Volunteers for benefits under the
        Federal
        > Employees Compensation Act." While we are supportive of the
        Inspector
        > General's efforts to varying degrees, we believe that a parallel
        > investigation of the agencies involved in the provision of workers'
        > compensation benefits to Returned Peace Corps Volunteers would
        identify
        > weaknesses in the system that, if corrected, would better promote
        > economy and efficiency and prevent waste, abuse, and fraud.
        Claimants
        > would receive better service, and taxpayers would reap the benefits
        of a
        > more efficient bureaucracy.
        >
        > Accordingly, we are asking you to consider requesting a Government
        > Accountability Office study of how well the Office of Workers'
        > Compensation Programs, ACS, and the Peace Corps Office of Medical
        > Services meet the medical needs of Returned Peace Corps Volunteers
        who
        > are eligible for benefits under the Federal Employees Compensation
        Act
        > because of injuries sustained or illnesses contracted during their
        tours
        > of duty. We would like the study to include, but not necessarily be
        > limited to, an evaluation of the following:
        >
        > 1. The commitment and progress on the part of the Office of Workers'
        > Compensation Programs (OWCP) to honor its Pledge to Customers and
        > implement its Mission and Vision statements.
        >
        > 2. The adequacy of the qualifications and training of OWCP claims
        > examiners, supervisory personnel, managers, and executives.
        >
        > 3. The accuracy and timeliness with which OWCP adjudicates claims,
        and
        > OWCP and ACS make payments to claimants and their medical providers.
        >
        > 4. The degree to which OWCP provides proper oversight to ACS.
        >
        > 5. The relationships of OWCP with ACS and the Peace Corps Office of
        > Medical Services (OMS), and whether those relationships are to the
        > benefit or detriment of claimants.
        >
        > 6. Improvements, if any, that have been implemented by OWCP because
        of
        > recommendations contained in previous Government Accountability
        Office