Re: Rough Draft of Gregg Letter

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 11, 2007
      Your name will appear. Should I use both Washington, DC and
      Heidelberg, Germany, or just the former?

      --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, Christine Link <clberna@...> wrote:

      > If there is still time to have my name attached to the letter, I
      would like to have it added (please edit as necessary)

      > Christine Berna Link
      > Washington, DC (last home of record in USA)
      > Heidelberg, Germany (current home)
      > clberna@...
      >
      > Thanks

    • Christine Link
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 12, 2007
        Both would be fine. Thanks!

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 28, 2007
          Just a quick follow up:

          I plan to tweak the letter based on your suggestions and have it
          ready to mail by the end of the week. In the ideal world, a faxed
          copy will reach my caseworker in Senator Gregg's Concord office by
          Friday and the original, signed copy will reach the Senator's
          Washington, DC office shortly after the holiday.

          Kevin

          --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin" <owcp2004@...> wrote:

          > Dear Senator Gregg:
          >
          > We the undersigned are members of an online community of Returned
          Peace
          > Corps Volunteers, and most of us have or have had workers'
          compensation
          > claims with the U.S. Department of Labor. We are writing to you
          because
          > we are concerned about the treatment that we or our fellow members
          have
          > received from the Office of Workers' Compensation Programs, its
          > subcontractor ACS, and the Peace Corps Office of Medical Services.
          We
          > are also concerned about inefficiencies in the federal workers'
          > compensation system that result in delayed claims processing, lack
          of
          > continuity of claimant medical care, an inability or unwillingness
          > respond to requests by claimants and to treat them with dignity and
          > respect, etc., as well as poor management of millions of dollars of
          > taxpayer funds.
          >
          > As you undoubtedly know, the Office of the Inspector General of the
          > Peace Corps is "conducting a review of post-service applications by
          > former Peace Corps staff and Volunteers for benefits under the
          Federal
          > Employees Compensation Act." While we are supportive of the
          Inspector
          > General's efforts to varying degrees, we believe that a parallel
          > investigation of the agencies involved in the provision of workers'
          > compensation benefits to Returned Peace Corps Volunteers would
          identify
          > weaknesses in the system that, if corrected, would better promote
          > economy and efficiency and prevent waste, abuse, and fraud.
          Claimants
          > would receive better service, and taxpayers would reap the benefits
          of a
          > more efficient bureaucracy.
          >
          > Accordingly, we are asking you to consider requesting a Government
          > Accountability Office study of how well the Office of Workers'
          > Compensation Programs, ACS, and the Peace Corps Office of Medical
          > Services meet the medical needs of Returned Peace Corps Volunteers
          who
          > are eligible for benefits under the Federal Employees Compensation
          Act
          > because of injuries sustained or illnesses contracted during their
          tours
          > of duty. We would like the study to include, but not necessarily be
          > limited to, an evaluation of the following:
          >
          > 1. The commitment and progress on the part of the Office of Workers'
          > Compensation Programs (OWCP) to honor its Pledge to Customers and
          > implement its Mission and Vision statements.
          >
          > 2. The adequacy of the qualifications and training of OWCP claims
          > examiners, supervisory personnel, managers, and executives.
          >
          > 3. The accuracy and timeliness with which OWCP adjudicates claims,
          and
          > OWCP and ACS make payments to claimants and their medical providers.
          >
          > 4. The degree to which OWCP provides proper oversight to ACS.
          >
          > 5. The relationships of OWCP with ACS and the Peace Corps Office of
          > Medical Services (OMS), and whether those relationships are to the
          > benefit or detriment of claimants.
          >
          > 6. Improvements, if any, that have been implemented by OWCP because
          of
          > recommendations contained in previous Government Accountability
          Office