Re: [owcp] Input Requested II

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 8, 2007

      I think we should do this first and then go to Sen. Dodd's office and also to Senator Schumer, as well. I have emails from people who used to dialog with this group. Do you think I should send some personal emails to see if they are interested in signing? I would not be able to get to this until the weekend. What do you think?

      Thanks,

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 9, 2007

        Sure. If you could email those folks, it would be great: The more
        names on the letter, the better.

        So, if I understand you correctly, you would prioritize the Gregg
        letter as number one. (I tend to agree.) Once that goes out
        (probably the week of August 27), we can touch base with Senator Dodd
        about the Peace Corps legislation that he is working on. I'm not
        sure how to involve Senator Schumer at the moment, but when that
        becomes clearer, you or another New York resident will need to take
        the lead. I've been brushed off by his office once before because I
        live out of state.

        I need to touch base with Ana Navarro of Senator Coleman's office,
        too. Have you read her response to us? If so, I'd love to hear your
        reaction as well as your thoughts about what we should ask or request
        of Peace Corps.

        Thanks,

        Kevin

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 9, 2007
          Andy,

          Thanks for all of your support. It's truly appreciated.

          We haven't asked Senator Coleman to take anything to committee, nor
          has his office suggested that as an approach at this time.

          Here's where we are to date: Ana Navarro, Senator Coleman's Peace
          Corps liaison, had a recent meeting with Peace Corps staff during
          which she brought up some general issues that RPCVs are having with
          OWCP. Their response was lacking in my opinion. They basically
          stood by the party line that once a claim is in the hands of OWCP,
          there is nothing they can do. That's hogwash, of course, because
          they also suggested that they are a driving force behind OWCP's
          decision to be tougher in its review of RPCV claims. So much for
          Peace Corps' argument that it exerts no control over OWCP!

          Have you looked at Ana's latest email to us? If so, what questions
          or requests do you think she should take to Peace Corps on our behalf?

          Thanks again,

          Kevin

          --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Sterioff <apsterioff@...> wrote:

          > Is there any way you can get indication from Senator Coleman's
          office if RPCV - OWCP issues will be brought up in any committee, or
          are we not at that point yet?

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 10, 2007
            Thank you Kevin for all your hard work, I live in Minnesota and will write Senator Coleman's office.