Re: Letter to Senator Gregg

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 6, 2007
      Sue,

      I'm sure you're right. I don't think OWCP treats RPCVs worse than it
      does its other claimants. I'm sure we're a challenge for OWCP,
      however, given the special legislation under which we recieve
      benefits and the fact that many of our accepted conditions fall
      outside what the agency generally deals with. I do hope that, if we
      are in any way successful in getting OWCP to be more responsive, our
      efforts will benefit non-RPCVs too.

      Thanks for bringing up the issue of being able to find doctors who
      are willing to deal with OWCP. I'll try to work that into the next
      draft of the letter to Senator Gregg. Neither my acupuncturist nor
      her orthopedic surgeon husband will deal directly with OWCP because
      he's been burned by the agency in the past.

      As far as signing the letter, I am planning to be the only one who
      actually physically signs it (for the sake of expediency). For
      everyone else who wants to be a "signatory" I will put their name,
      location (city, state), and email address following my signature. If
      Senator Gregg balks, I can always provide his office with email
      evidence that everyone whose name appears on the letter did in fact
      consent to being included. If he decides he wants/needs a signature
      from everyone, we can figure out an easy way to comply via snail mail.

      I'd like to get the letter out soon, but I also want to wait for more
      comments. The draft hasn't even been posted for 24 hours. If I
      can't get the letter out by the end of the week, it will have to wait
      until the last week of the month.

      Kevin

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 6, 2007
        I think that it is important to stress in the letter that
        part of the problem (as you said below) is that our
        conditions are often outside what the agency generally
        deals with. That makes the frequent turn over of claims
        examiners and lack of support from the Peace Corps side
        more difficult for us. -- Felicia

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 6, 2007
          OWCP rotates claims examiners periodically. It's part of the way the
          agency chooses to operate! And it's another reason why continuity of
          care is so poor.