Re: [owcp] Rough Draft of Gregg Letter

  • Sue T
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5, 2007
      Kevin:

      This letter is very well written inasmuch as I feel it
      is responsive to my concerns. How can I get my name
      on this? Is there something I can do to help? I
      think with deadlines - no deadline, no deliverables
      from me. Sorry to say. Do you know when you would
      like to send this to Sen. Gregg? Further, is there
      something I should do and a time by which I should get
      it done? Shall I snail mail something to you? I'm
      new to advocacy.

      Sue

      --- Kevin <owcp2004@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > reap the benefits of a
      > more efficient bureaucracy.
      >
      > Accordingly, we are asking you to consider
      > requesting a Government
      > Accountability Office study of how well the Office
      > of Workers'
      > Compensation Programs, ACS, and the Peace Corps
      > Office of Medical
      > Services meet the medical needs of Returned Peace
      > Corps Volunteers who
      > are eligible for benefits under the Federal
      > Employees Compensation Act
      > because of injuries sustained or illnesses
      > contracted during their tours
      > of duty. We would like the study to include, but not
      > necessarily be
      > limited to, an evaluation of the following:
      >
      > 1. The commitment and progress on the part of the
      > Office of Workers'
      > Compensation Programs (OWCP) to honor its Pledge to
      > Customers and
      > implement its Mission and Vision statements.
      >
      > 2. The adequacy of the qualifications and training
      > of OWCP claims
      > examiners, supervisory personnel, managers, and
      > executives.
      >
      > 3. The accuracy and timeliness with which OWCP
      > adjudicates claims, and
      > OWCP and ACS make payments to claimants and their
      > medical providers.
      >
      > 4. The degree to which OWCP provides proper
      > oversight to ACS.
      >
      > 5. The relationships of OWCP with ACS and the Peace
      > Corps Office of
      > Medical Services (OMS), and whether those
      > relationships are to the
      > benefit or detriment of claimants.
      >
      > 6. Improvements, if any, that have been implemented
      > by OWCP because of
      > recommendations contained in previous Government
      > Accountability Office
      > or Inspector General reports.
      >
      > 7. The performance and capability of OMS to assist
      > claimants in their
      > dealings with OWCP, both immediately post-service
      > and later if the need
      > arises.
      >
      > In addition to a Government Accountability Office
      > study, we would like
      > you to consider asking Peace Corps to appoint a
      > person to act as an
      > ombudsman or advocate for Returned Peace Corps
      > Volunteers who encounter
      > problems in obtaining the post-service medical care
      > to which they are
      > legally entitled.
      >
      > Thank you very much for your time and attention, and
      > for considering our
      > requests. We look forward to your reply. If you have
      > any questions or
      > need further information, please do not hesitate to
      > contact us.
      >
      > Sincerely,
      >
      > On behalf of myself and the other persons whose
      > names appear below.
      >
      > Kevin Clark
      >
      > 152 May Street
      >
      > Canaan, NH 03741
      >
      > [other signatories will appear here--name, city and

    • Christine Link
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 10, 2007
        If there is still time to have my name attached to the letter, I would like to have it added (please edit as necessary)

        Christine Berna Link
        Washington, DC (last home of record in USA)
        Heidelberg, Germany (current home)
        clberna@...

        Thanks

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 11, 2007
          Your name will appear. Should I use both Washington, DC and
          Heidelberg, Germany, or just the former?

          --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, Christine Link <clberna@...> wrote:

          > If there is still time to have my name attached to the letter, I
          would like to have it added (please edit as necessary)

          > Christine Berna Link
          > Washington, DC (last home of record in USA)
          > Heidelberg, Germany (current home)
          > clberna@...
          >
          > Thanks

        • Christine Link
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 12, 2007
            Both would be fine. Thanks!

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 28, 2007
              Just a quick follow up:

              I plan to tweak the letter based on your suggestions and have it
              ready to mail by the end of the week. In the ideal world, a faxed
              copy will reach my caseworker in Senator Gregg's Concord office by
              Friday and the original, signed copy will reach the Senator's
              Washington, DC office shortly after the holiday.

              Kevin