Re: [owcp] Letter to Senator Gregg

  • Sue T
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 5, 2007
      I apologize for being remiss here - it looks like you
      asked this question a day or two ago. Life's been
      busy.

      That said, I don't think my issue is specific to the
      fact that my injury happened in Peace Corps. My issue
      is that OWCP is woefully unresponsive to my needs. My
      issue is one I'm sure is shared with all fed employees
      injured on the job.

      If I had a genie in a bottle who could only grant me
      one wish specific to my health, I'd ask the genie to
      give me a doctor within 100 miles of my house so when
      I have my next operation I can get transportation for
      follow up and not be so far from my doctor when I need
      medical attention in general.

      Each claim examiner I've had has made it abundantly
      clear they "do not maintain a database of medical
      providers, all you have to do, Miss Trone, is go to
      your yellow pages, look up board certified orthopaedic
      surgeons, and get an appointment." I've spent nearly
      50 hours, scouring my county and adjacent counties and
      not a single doctor will have anything to do with me
      b/c I'm OWCP. They will not bill ACS b/c it's a pain
      in the ass.

      That pisses me off.

      I can't imagine what a single mother who works for the
      feds does in a similar situation. I can't imagine
      what someone who took Lariam does, either -- to be
      sure, that has some very PC-specific points. As for
      me, I think OWCP needs to be given some scrutiny.

      I get the feeling that I'm the only one in this forum
      whose gripe is general.

      ST

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 6, 2007
        Sue,

        I'm sure you're right. I don't think OWCP treats RPCVs worse than it
        does its other claimants. I'm sure we're a challenge for OWCP,
        however, given the special legislation under which we recieve
        benefits and the fact that many of our accepted conditions fall
        outside what the agency generally deals with. I do hope that, if we
        are in any way successful in getting OWCP to be more responsive, our
        efforts will benefit non-RPCVs too.

        Thanks for bringing up the issue of being able to find doctors who
        are willing to deal with OWCP. I'll try to work that into the next
        draft of the letter to Senator Gregg. Neither my acupuncturist nor
        her orthopedic surgeon husband will deal directly with OWCP because
        he's been burned by the agency in the past.

        As far as signing the letter, I am planning to be the only one who
        actually physically signs it (for the sake of expediency). For
        everyone else who wants to be a "signatory" I will put their name,
        location (city, state), and email address following my signature. If
        Senator Gregg balks, I can always provide his office with email
        evidence that everyone whose name appears on the letter did in fact
        consent to being included. If he decides he wants/needs a signature
        from everyone, we can figure out an easy way to comply via snail mail.

        I'd like to get the letter out soon, but I also want to wait for more
        comments. The draft hasn't even been posted for 24 hours. If I
        can't get the letter out by the end of the week, it will have to wait
        until the last week of the month.

        Kevin

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 6, 2007
          I think that it is important to stress in the letter that
          part of the problem (as you said below) is that our
          conditions are often outside what the agency generally
          deals with. That makes the frequent turn over of claims
          examiners and lack of support from the Peace Corps side
          more difficult for us. -- Felicia

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 6, 2007
            OWCP rotates claims examiners periodically. It's part of the way the
            agency chooses to operate! And it's another reason why continuity of
            care is so poor.