Rough Draft of Gregg Letter

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5 3:34 PM
      Let me try again.

      Please give me feedback. Thanks. (I know there are issues with
      formatting. Those are a yahoo groups artifact and won't appear in the
      final draft.)

      --

      [date]

      The Honorable Judd Gregg

      United States Senate

      393 Russell Senate Office Building

      Washington, DC 20510

      Dear Senator Gregg:

      We the undersigned are members of an online community of Returned Peace
      Corps Volunteers, and most of us have or have had workers' compensation
      claims with the U.S. Department of Labor. We are writing to you because
      we are concerned about the treatment that we or our fellow members have
      received from the Office of Workers' Compensation Programs, its
      subcontractor ACS, and the Peace Corps Office of Medical Services. We
      are also concerned about inefficiencies in the federal workers'
      compensation system that result in delayed claims processing, lack of
      continuity of claimant medical care, an inability or unwillingness to
      respond to requests by claimants and to treat them with dignity and
      respect, etc., as well as poor management of millions of dollars of
      taxpayer funds.

      As you undoubtedly know, the Office of the Inspector General of the
      Peace Corps is "conducting a review of post-service applications by
      former Peace Corps staff and Volunteers for benefits under the Federal
      Employees Compensation Act." While we are supportive of the Inspector
      General's efforts to varying degrees, we believe that a parallel
      investigation of the agencies involved in the provision of workers'
      compensation benefits to Returned Peace Corps Volunteers would identify
      weaknesses in the system that, if corrected, would better promote
      economy and efficiency and prevent waste, abuse, and fraud. Claimants
      would receive better service, and taxpayers would reap the benefits of a
      more efficient bureaucracy.

      Accordingly, we are asking you to consider requesting a Government
      Accountability Office study of how well the Office of Workers'
      Compensation Programs, ACS, and the Peace Corps Office of Medical
      Services meet the medical needs of Returned Peace Corps Volunteers who
      are eligible for benefits under the Federal Employees Compensation Act
      because of injuries sustained or illnesses contracted during their tours
      of duty. We would like the study to include, but not necessarily be
      limited to, an evaluation of the following:

      1. The commitment and progress on the part of the Office of Workers'
      Compensation Programs (OWCP) to honor its Pledge to Customers and
      implement its Mission and Vision statements.

      2. The adequacy of the qualifications and training of OWCP claims
      examiners, supervisory personnel, managers, and executives.

      3. The accuracy and timeliness with which OWCP adjudicates claims, and
      OWCP and ACS make payments to claimants and their medical providers.

      4. The degree to which OWCP provides proper oversight to ACS.

      5. The relationships of OWCP with ACS and the Peace Corps Office of
      Medical Services (OMS), and whether those relationships are to the
      benefit or detriment of claimants.

      6. Improvements, if any, that have been implemented by OWCP because of
      recommendations contained in previous Government Accountability Office
      or Inspector General reports.

      7. The performance and capability of OMS to assist claimants in their
      dealings with OWCP, both immediately post-service and later if the need
      arises.

      In addition to a Government Accountability Office study, we would like
      you to consider asking Peace Corps to appoint a person to act as an
      ombudsman or advocate for Returned Peace Corps Volunteers who encounter
      problems in obtaining the post-service medical care to which they are
      legally entitled.

      Thank you very much for your time and attention, and for considering our
      requests. We look forward to your reply. If you have any questions or
      need further information, please do not hesitate to contact us.

      Sincerely,

      On behalf of myself and the other persons whose names appear below.

      Kevin Clark

      152 May Street

      Canaan, NH 03741

      [other signatories will appear here--name, city and state, email
      address]
    • Sue T
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 5 8:34 PM
        Kevin:

        This letter is very well written inasmuch as I feel it
        is responsive to my concerns. How can I get my name
        on this? Is there something I can do to help? I
        think with deadlines - no deadline, no deliverables
        from me. Sorry to say. Do you know when you would
        like to send this to Sen. Gregg? Further, is there
        something I should do and a time by which I should get
        it done? Shall I snail mail something to you? I'm
        new to advocacy.

        Sue

        --- Kevin <owcp2004@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > you to consider asking Peace Corps to appoint a
        > person to act as an
        > ombudsman or advocate for Returned Peace Corps
        > Volunteers who encounter
        > problems in obtaining the post-service medical care
        > to which they are
        > legally entitled.
        >
        > Thank you very much for your time and attention, and
        > for considering our
        > requests. We look forward to your reply. If you have
        > any questions or
        > need further information, please do not hesitate to
        > contact us.
        >
        > Sincerely,
        >
        > On behalf of myself and the other persons whose
        > names appear below.
        >
        > Kevin Clark
        >
        > 152 May Street
        >
        > Canaan, NH 03741
        >
        > [other signatories will appear here--name, city and

      • Christine Link
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 10 10:49 AM
          If there is still time to have my name attached to the letter, I would like to have it added (please edit as necessary)

          Christine Berna Link
          Washington, DC (last home of record in USA)
          Heidelberg, Germany (current home)
          clberna@...

          Thanks

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 11 4:49 AM
            Your name will appear. Should I use both Washington, DC and
            Heidelberg, Germany, or just the former?

            --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, Christine Link <clberna@...> wrote:

            > If there is still time to have my name attached to the letter, I
            would like to have it added (please edit as necessary)

            > Christine Berna Link
            > Washington, DC (last home of record in USA)
            > Heidelberg, Germany (current home)
            > clberna@...
            >
            > Thanks

          • Christine Link
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 12 8:30 AM
              Both would be fine. Thanks!

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 28 6:08 AM
                Just a quick follow up:

                I plan to tweak the letter based on your suggestions and have it
                ready to mail by the end of the week. In the ideal world, a faxed
                copy will reach my caseworker in Senator Gregg's Concord office by
                Friday and the original, signed copy will reach the Senator's
                Washington, DC office shortly after the holiday.

                Kevin