Re: Letter to Senator Gregg

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 5 1:36 PM
      Those are good questions.

      All members of the group, medical beneficiaries or not, could help by
      signing the letter.

      I'm not sure how we might, or even if we should, involve other
      senators. I'm leaning toward starting out with Senator Gregg; we could
      always try to get other senators on board later if we decided that
      would be helpful.

      --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, "pcvpcv" <peacecorpscountry@...> wrote:

      Tell me what you need...
      I am trying to figure out ... how I can help.
      Would it be helpful to write other Senators or should the letter be
      sent to Senator Gregg?
    • Sue T
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 5 8:29 PM
        I apologize for being remiss here - it looks like you
        asked this question a day or two ago. Life's been
        busy.

        That said, I don't think my issue is specific to the
        fact that my injury happened in Peace Corps. My issue
        is that OWCP is woefully unresponsive to my needs. My
        issue is one I'm sure is shared with all fed employees
        injured on the job.

        If I had a genie in a bottle who could only grant me
        one wish specific to my health, I'd ask the genie to
        give me a doctor within 100 miles of my house so when
        I have my next operation I can get transportation for
        follow up and not be so far from my doctor when I need
        medical attention in general.

        Each claim examiner I've had has made it abundantly
        clear they "do not maintain a database of medical
        providers, all you have to do, Miss Trone, is go to
        your yellow pages, look up board certified orthopaedic
        surgeons, and get an appointment." I've spent nearly
        50 hours, scouring my county and adjacent counties and
        not a single doctor will have anything to do with me
        b/c I'm OWCP. They will not bill ACS b/c it's a pain
        in the ass.

        That pisses me off.

        I can't imagine what a single mother who works for the
        feds does in a similar situation. I can't imagine
        what someone who took Lariam does, either -- to be
        sure, that has some very PC-specific points. As for
        me, I think OWCP needs to be given some scrutiny.

        I get the feeling that I'm the only one in this forum
        whose gripe is general.

        ST

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 6 5:24 AM
          Sue,

          I'm sure you're right. I don't think OWCP treats RPCVs worse than it
          does its other claimants. I'm sure we're a challenge for OWCP,
          however, given the special legislation under which we recieve
          benefits and the fact that many of our accepted conditions fall
          outside what the agency generally deals with. I do hope that, if we
          are in any way successful in getting OWCP to be more responsive, our
          efforts will benefit non-RPCVs too.

          Thanks for bringing up the issue of being able to find doctors who
          are willing to deal with OWCP. I'll try to work that into the next
          draft of the letter to Senator Gregg. Neither my acupuncturist nor
          her orthopedic surgeon husband will deal directly with OWCP because
          he's been burned by the agency in the past.

          As far as signing the letter, I am planning to be the only one who
          actually physically signs it (for the sake of expediency). For
          everyone else who wants to be a "signatory" I will put their name,
          location (city, state), and email address following my signature. If
          Senator Gregg balks, I can always provide his office with email
          evidence that everyone whose name appears on the letter did in fact
          consent to being included. If he decides he wants/needs a signature
          from everyone, we can figure out an easy way to comply via snail mail.

          I'd like to get the letter out soon, but I also want to wait for more
          comments. The draft hasn't even been posted for 24 hours. If I
          can't get the letter out by the end of the week, it will have to wait
          until the last week of the month.

          Kevin

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 6 9:39 AM
            I think that it is important to stress in the letter that
            part of the problem (as you said below) is that our
            conditions are often outside what the agency generally
            deals with. That makes the frequent turn over of claims
            examiners and lack of support from the Peace Corps side
            more difficult for us. -- Felicia

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 6 10:03 AM
              OWCP rotates claims examiners periodically. It's part of the way the
              agency chooses to operate! And it's another reason why continuity of
              care is so poor.